• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FYI: Bowling Green Amateur Championships

slowRoll

Banned
Here in the South BG Ams is the biggest thing going each year by a longshot. Anyone else already looking/planning ahead for the roadtrip? I noticed today that registration is already open and it got my engine running. I'm not associated with them, but this is truely the one tournament you can't miss. Find out more here if you're interested.

That's the info for 2009. Here's the updated info for 2011.

http://www.bluegrassdiscgolf.org/BowlingGreen.html

It will still be a three day event but with changes. Mainly the big one is that the Advanced pools will not play the Franklin course (except if Phil Moore is unplayable) but the new Tech School course. The Tech School course and Franklin are complete opposites, tightly wooded compared to completely open.

I am already registered for 2011. This was the disc golf highlight of the year for me in 2010. I can't wait. My brother and I are going to make it a yearly brothers trip. I see some other ATL guys have already signed up too. Should be a great time.

That's the info for 2009. Here's the updated info for 2011.

http://www.bluegrassdiscgolf.org/BowlingGreen.html

It will still be a three day event but with changes. Mainly the big one is that the Advanced pools will not play the Franklin course (except if Phil Moore is unplayable) but the new Tech School course. The Tech School course and Franklin are complete opposites, tightly wooded compared to completely open.
Which one is open and which one is wooded? Its my first time I cant wait already registered and have a place to stay down there. Freaking one rating point away from playing Int guess Ill just donate in advanced.

I'm in and looking forward to the new course. Won't miss Franklin at all - 5 OB strokes in one round last year!

Franklin - Long & Open with much natural and rope/paint enhanced OB.

Tech Course - Some real bomber holes but mainly tight and wooded.

I enjoyed this tournament more than any other last year. I am already registered for 2011. We should have a dgcr meet up at the tournament.

Which one is open and which one is wooded? Its my first time I cant wait already registered and have a place to stay down there. Freaking one rating point away from playing Int guess Ill just donate in advanced.

Franklin is wide open and long. Plays along side a large creek (the same creek as Phil Moore). Tech course is completely wooded and long except for 4 holes in the open. I'd rather play Franklin than Phil Moore honestly. If you stay in the fairway at the Tech course, you can get an easy par. Walking into the rough is enough of a challenge right now that finding your errant disc is a borderline miracle.

BG Ams = Greatest tournament ever. Good competition and you get your money back in just the players pack alone.

Keep talking about this tournament, me and four friends are thinking of going for the first time this year? Why is it awesome? Do people camp or stay in hotels?

We stayed in a hotel but I'm sure camping is an option also. The field is huge, the player's pack was great, the other events they have going on were fun, and overall it was well run.

There is camping available at the local KOA which happens to be right across the street from Basil Griffin. For anyone even thinking about going, be sure to check out the hotels/camping well in advanced because pretty much every room in Bowling Green gets booked that weekend.

For the tournament itself, the players pack speaks for itself (at least 3 discs, a shirt or two, and an assortment of other goodies), the courses are always in top notch condition even if the weather isn't, and everyone you meet is as nice as can be. There's not too many amateur tournaments I can think of, other than Worlds, where you can play with people from every corner of the country in one weekend.

Keep talking about this tournament, me and four friends are thinking of going for the first time this year? Why is it awesome? Do people camp or stay in hotels?

The best part about BG Ams is being in a place with 500 other people that love the game just like you do. The courses are great, there are always people to meet and hang out with after the rounds. BG has plenty of great places to eat and drink not to mention all the Western Kentucky coeds... that, as we found out 2 years ago, have all played discgolf exacly once before with a former boyfriend that was a D-bag. :hfive:

Last year, I didn't get to go because my wife was working, but my sons and I still made the short drive up just to hit the flymart. If you are looking for something new, you'll find it there. Heck, even if you are looking for old CE stuff, they have that too. It's a great weekend, you'd have to work dang pretty hard to not have a good time at this one. So yea, I'm looking forward to it.

i wanted to play in it again this year but I am in a wedding that weekend. there is always next year though...maybe i can bag my rating to REC (i only kid, but apparently someone did do that for last years)

this should be in the "tournaments" sub-forum.

disc gopher is right, I think I put this in the wrong place. If a mod/admin sees this and agrees, this thread should probably be moved to the tournaments(talk about upcoming, etc.) thread.

I plan on going and getting a hotel room. Girlfriend doesn't get the disc golf thing so why not bring her to one of the top 5 events of the year. Will be playing Am1 and trying to get one of those coveted AmNats bids.

I will see you guys down there. My buddy and our significant others are heading down from the mitten to attend. I'm just hoping that the weather is going to be good, and no rain.

Just renewed my PDGA membership and pre-registered for BG. $100 or so poorer, but it feels good.