• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FYI: Bowling Green Amateur Championships

I'm actually holding off on registering for it until I find out where (and if) I have a job by then. I love the home field advantage but if I'm just getting hired somewhere I won't ask off for half a week to go play disc golf.

We are about to start work on the 9 hole course going in behind Wah-Bah, in addition to some serious prep work for the courses. It's going to be a teriffic weekend of disc golf. I will be involved in the workings of the tournament, so prolly won't play in it. Player packs will be sweet, and the red roof inn is pretty nice here.. Pdga discount.

Last edited:
Question by newer player

My first question is whether I am good enought to play in the recreational division of the Bowling Green Am? I don't have a big arm and depending on the course I am a 1/2 stroke to a stroke over par player.

Second, I looked at the website and I cannot tell when the flymart is?

Please be kind. :\

I would have to think that might be good enough for you to move up to intermediate. I am a 860 rated player and usually shoot plus 3 or 4 on every course I play, so I think you would do fine. I just signed up 10 minutes ago for Bowling Green this being my first year going! And you got me beat, I saw the flyer advertising the "flymart" but I don't even know what that means?

I would have to think that might be good enough for you to move up to intermediate. I am a 860 rated player and usually shoot plus 3 or 4 on every course I play, so I think you would do fine. I just signed up 10 minutes ago for Bowling Green this being my first year going! And you got me beat, I saw the flyer advertising the "flymart" but I don't even know what that means?

I seriously doubt I am in your class. I am a bogey and almost bogey player. I think the flymart is when they sell discs. I do not know what 860 rated means? :(

flymart = greatest place ever to blow $300. all type of vendors selling discs and dg swag.

just signed up this week. looking at hotels now. got about 12 people from my area coming from 10hr away

oh oops I read your post wrong, thats a stroke on every hole over par not per round. I don't know with 144 people in the recreational division I don't think you would come last? Wow, I am getting pretty excited about this event. It sounds like a disc golf festival.

Moved this to the tournament forum.

I really want to come play, not sure if I can make that work yet but it would be a blast.

I'm with Mash, this sounds amazing, but I'm worried it's just not feasible for me.

Yeah a little worried about the cost but I am going with two other advanced players and we got a campsite at the KOA in BG which was very reasonable. However they now want to go down like 2-3 days early to play all the courses, I am all about research and practice but that makes it a long week down there and away from work. Anyone from that area really recommend playing the courses ahead of time?

word on the street is that someone named zack aschenbach will be there. He has beat multiple people out of discs over at DGR and on discaroo. if you see him, be sure to give him a "gentle" reminder to send booter his disc ;)

Yeah a little worried about the cost but I am going with two other advanced players and we got a campsite at the KOA in BG which was very reasonable. However they now want to go down like 2-3 days early to play all the courses, I am all about research and practice but that makes it a long week down there and away from work. Anyone from that area really recommend playing the courses ahead of time?

Depends, are you playing in Advanced or lower? If you're playing Advanced, it wouldn't hurt to have a round or two in at each of the courses. Several of them you probably won't have enough time to run completely through before your round (Phil Moore/BG Tech) but the others (Kereiakis/Hobson) you can get through in 45 minutes if you just want to see the holes. The only ones you really need to see at Phil Moore are the wooded holes, they can be a bit tricky. The open holes have zero to two trees on them so you're good there. BG Tech would be one you'll want to go through several times before you play it in tournament.

If you're playing in another division then you should be alright without seeing the courses. Lovers Lane and Ephram White are mostly open and straight forward with no hidden surprises there. Basil Griffin is a mixed of short wooded/water front nine and longer open back nine while Preston Miller is very short and mostly wooded.

Overall, even if you see each hole at least once you'll be set.

BG tech. Is still very muddy, and not all the signs/pads are in yet. Speaking to the designer, the signs and remaining tee pad will be in promptly. This course is mostly wooded, and quite long. A lot of holes require good placement as well as distance. I would make a point to see this entire course beforehand. It is going to eat some people for lunch.

Wow that was awesome. Thank you for breaking it down like that, really appreciate it. I am playing in the recreation division but my two good friends are in advanced. None of us have ever been there before

Heard they usually have a sick players pack. Anyone have any idea what it is this year? Any speculation?

What was last years?

Last years was a vibram putter, a innova dri-fit shirt, discraft Nuke, Gateway Putter (magic I think), and a DGA Rogue. There was also a tourney t-shirt and a water bottle. There were also giveaways for the winner of each card. It was a great deal for the $60 entry fee (Even better if you hit an ace and pay for the tourney with one throw. )

This tournament is tons of fun. Played
in five or six myself. Always a blast to hang
with friends from all over the country.
I always leave with a stack of plastic.
Great times.