• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Game on with Archon

I just noticed theres echo star archons for sale on marshall st. Didnt even know these were available.

I have an Echo Star, but I've only gotten to throw it a few times. It's exactly how I'd hoped it would be.

Oh yeah, MST still have them on sale too. Thirteen dorrar ain't bad

how are the echo stars comparing to the stars? i've yet to get my hands on an echo.

I've not thrown a Star, only held them. The new Echo seems to be a little grippier than it was when it first came out, and has more visible veins and streaks in it. It's seems to be about the same durability though. I'd love to see Innova get it together and release an XG Archon.

5_Drivers.jpg

My quiver for field work.

I really wanted to like the Archon but it just didn't work out. I throw Pro Wraiths and the Archon sounded like it would be a disc that I would like. It all came down to the actual feel of the disc in my hand, I just don't like the Vulcan top at all.

For sure - I actually like the feel of the top, it has slight shoulders and then a flat plateau on top. It requires a bit more care than the Wraith, but I feel like the Archon naturally wants to penetrate and not fade - the Wraith obviously is meant to fade at the end of a flight. Hard to say which has more glide, but it may be the Wraith by a slight edge.

Reviving a thread here. Any love for these still?

Thinking that I might have to try out the G* Archons that just dropped at the Factory Store. I know there are several people that have been waiting for this myself included.

I threw a friend's star Archon a long time ago when they first came out and it was so money I thought it was a great as sliced bread. Incredible grace. I was sure I had found my new go to driver. I bought my own right away and it was a total meathook. No amount of beating on it every made it better. I even tried throwing it on asphalt to get it to comply. It never did. I've heard that sometimes the Vulcan top can do this for no apparent reason. Dave Dunipace said so himself. Oh well... I ordered a F2 g* anyways and I'm going to hope for the best. I want that magic back that I saw years ago and somehow missed out on because I never got another one that worked.

I like Terns a lot and usually carry 3 in star, g*, and champ but I'm thinking an Archon might actually be able to sit in the g* tern slot as a happy medium between the star and champ Terns. I've had good success with flicking the g* tern but I think a thicker rim on the Archon with the wraith bottom wing might be better. We'll see! I've only been starting to flick more understable discs recently as I've been working on my forehand release and getting away from being a forehand torque monkey. I do like the way the Vulcan top sits in my hand with a FH grip.

I do. I found a 162g Champ with no name on my home course and decided to give it a go. It has worked out well seeing that I aced a 310' (albeit open) hole with it. Works best with a tailwind or no wind. When I throw correctly it goes straight with a narrow S flight and goes 320' (290-300' w/Leopard). Don't ask about when I throw incorrectly.

I've overlooked the Archon for years. I find them on the course occasionally and until today I don't think I'd actually thrown one.

I was far more impressed than I expected to be. The Archon is an awesome flier. I feel its more like speed 12 than 11. It gets where its going with authority. Noticeable high speed turn, but it also won't turn and burn. The Archon always seems to fade back to target late in flight. Great S curve bomber disc. I think what impressed me most is that it performed in headwind conditions. I won't say it can be used in strong headwinds, but for breezes it does fine. Great downwind too.

I can't necessarily say its better than a Wraith, but it definitely has more high speed turn and all of the glide. I was able to punch the Archon about 430' a couple times. I guess I'd say it flies like a Tern or a beat Destroyer.

Its one of those drivers that gets lost among all of Innova's redundancy. However, it actually does very well.

I have a Champ Glow Archon and I find it to be a very reliable disc.

I don't mind the Vulcan-like top. Some people find it repulsive.

I like the star plastic version with a little dome. Big S curve bombers out in the open and hyzer flip to straight tunnel shots in the woods.

I always liked my Star Archon, which is Vulcan-esque flat-topped. Now y'all are making me go find it so I can throw it around some more...

I have a Champ Glow Archon and I find it to be a very reliable disc.

I don't mind the Vulcan-like top. Some people find it repulsive.

I can't say I'm a fan of the top either, but once I got to throwing it I stopped caring. I probably liked this Archon (star, 175g) better than any Vulcan I've ever thrown. The Archon is almost like a slower, slightly more stable Vulcan.

I will say the Archon is fairly redundant. The Wraith, Krait and Teedevil are very similar. That said, I could bag an Archon and feel confident enough to throw it for a pretty good variety of distance drives. I think it has a slightly faster, better flight than the Wraith or Krait. For whatever reason I got better distance with the Archon today than I've probably ever gotten with ANY Wraith. And I've thrown a great number/variety of Wraiths in every plastic.

Latest posts