• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GL plastic is garbage.....?

Wow maybe my river was a freak of nature. The very first throw I made with the disc landed in the fairway, on grass, and there was a huge gouge in the rim. (some hidden rock or stick maybe?) I'll be sticking to opto....

I think GL is generally decent as well. However I can relate to your problem.

Threw a money shot down a fairway, flat,fat, and sweet. Around the 200' I hit one of the small trees in the fairway (which at Summit Park is basically inevitable). Picked up my River, and it took a small gouge out of the rim and the top of the disc. Nothing huge, but definitely did noticeable damage. I was kinda stunned. I still use the disc, and don't have any problems throwing it other than the archer. Nothing else has happened to it since and has hit plenty. I don't know if it was a run, or just a "soft spot". I have seen another River with the same issue and well. My Visions and my other Rivers are fine and get more work.

Its definitely does not compare to DX in quality. It's far superior. However, I had never done that much damage to a Star or ESP disc in a single throw. Thought, truely any Star or ESP disc I have ever throw for the same length of time, has/had alot more knicks and scuffs. You should see my two month old ESP Cyclone.

Gold Line is good plastic, but so are the Target shopping bags. They cannot handle everything either.

Since Innova donesn't care anymore, Latitude should come out with a Silver Line. SL Discs made in flourescent/day glo Opto plastic with real silver flakes in the plastic. Beats the hell out of sparkle Z. Imagine color shift GSL Discs...

Nah...that'd be crazy

latsparkles.jpg

Gotta add to the reports of GL being seriously durable in my experience. I've got a Halo and Core, my girl throws 2 GL visions, and one of my best friends has a river, trident, striker and halo. They all look pretty damn new, even the ones that've been thrown for over a year. If it's not just some freak inconsistency in the manufacturing process then you just had bad luck with something hard and sharp on the fairway, perhaps broken glass sticking out of the ground?

Still, I don't blame you for sticking to opto. It seems equally durable, and I prefer the grip on it.

I hit concrete stairs with a GL Striker when they first came out and it sounded like an ax hitting a log. Went over to see what was left: no damage.

Did same thing with a GL River on a concrete foundation for sprinkler control box...slight edge scuff.

Both throws were hard and both times I was sure I ruined the disc

I have had a GL vision for about 8 months now and it has hit many many trees. Some so hard that I was sure it was going to have a chunk missing. The disc still looks new. I probably throw it 10 or so times a round and I play about 4 rounds a week.

I had a beat gold line Vision that had a few little scuffs on it but nothing major. It still looked brand new after a few years and alot of tree smacks. One of the scuffs came from hitting a downed branch that was pretty big in diameter. The disc was wedged deep into the end and reminded me of a log splitter. I took pictures with my cell but they didnt turn out good. That disc was by far the longest in my bag and I miss it greatly. It discappeared under leaves in the wide open last fall to never be seen again.

GL is a hell of a lot more durable than Star/ ESP, my GL river barley has a few scuffs even after throwing it into a brick wall 6 times yeaterday and using it for about 6 months fairly regularly. It has slowly gotten a bit more understable, but not much of a change. I don't really throw my opto river much, but I know its also very durable, but I don't know how much moreso than GL. The only problem with GL and Opto plastic is when they have any moisture on them they are impossible to grip for me. This is tru with any premium plastic for me though.

how comparable to the buzz / roc is the river. My roc tends to fade more than my buzz. looking for something like a classic ROC but more glide/speed.

I don't know how much many of you are babying your Gold Lines but I can sympathize with the OP. Gold Line is not a high durability plastic. The impression I get is that it has a high elasticity which enables it to hit things dead on (like walls) and show very little damage. Sharp objects however will mess that plastic up.

I love Gold Line but realistically Opto is all about the durability, not Gold Line.

how comparable to the buzz / roc is the river. My roc tends to fade more than my buzz. looking for something like a classic ROC but more glide/speed.

Not comparable. The River is a driver and understable.

As for Gold Line, I only have one disc in it, but it has held up better than Star or ESP, however it's also slicker.

I've beaten the snot out of my GL Blitz, and it still looks damned near new. It's hit trees, rocks and road and still looks great. There are a couple dull "scuff" lines on the top of the plate, but the rim looks great!

Core

Try a Core maybe. Similar to a Buzzz but with Latitude glide. Or you could try a Pure. Long, glidey putter.

The other day a guy was playing with us that had a good arm and he was showing off his new XXX in GL plastic then threw it on this ridiculously high spike hyzer. We were about 265' away from where it landed but it smacked hard on a big rock and the "CRACK!" noise it made was so loud, you would have thought it was right next to us. I looked at him and said "You might want to consider Opto for that. lol" When we got up to it, though; it wasn't even marked.

I don't know. I think it depends on angle and how sharp or jagged of an object you hit.

My Opto line plastic is pretty durable. I got a striker when they first came out, have thrown it on pavement, into trees, against walls and fences, and routinely slide it down fairways, and after all that abuse, it has turned a little cloudy but still flies perfect and is missing less than .25 grams of weight. I've had a GL River for about a year and it is still immaculate. Lat64 plastic is the best.

I have only had one GL disc (Flow), but it still looks basically new after 8 months. No gouges or major scratches. I have thrown it point blank into a tree and it didn't do much at all (I think Martin Dewgarita was with me when I did that). The courses I play do have some rocks and are very wooded.

Opto discs just don't feel right to me. I've found Gold line to be almost as durable as Champion plastic. I swear by my Gold Vision(s).

Latest posts