• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glass on the course

ChUcKyZ

Double Eagle Member
I think it would benefit DG courses across the nation if we all adopt a different attitude towards glass containers on the course. For courses that have trash bins, golfers tend to place beverage waste inside (good). Kids then come along, scavenge the bottles, and smash them against the nearest available slab of concrete, the tee pad (bad).

I'd like to see golfers (who drink while they play) gear down their tastes a bit and just bring unbreakable cans. For those who can't abide by canned beer, make sure you pack out your empties, instead of leaving ammunition for the kids.

Every other type of trash is simple to clean up and safe as kittens in comparison to broken glass. Anyone can easily pick up a discarded beer can during a round, but one shattered bottle requires a much more coordinated effort to clear up. One rarely comes to the course armed with gloves and numerous baggies to hold glass shards. It's much less convenient to clean, therefore builds up until it requires an actual work party to remove the refuse.

Can we all begin to develop this habit, so in the future it is a well-known tribal DG law? No glass on the course, unless you're willing to pack it out? Violators will be shot on site? No, too extreme.

cans is the way to go, if you drinking on the course. for some reason i don't think me or any of my friends ever bought bottles when we are going to play....maybe its cause you can crush cans and they take up less space and weigh less to carry around.

I agree that cans are better than bottles, but where on earth do you live where kids pull glass bottles out of the trash just to break them? that's ridiculous.

a few of our courses aren't in the best parts of town and bored thugs/hood rats/rednecks/whathaveyou like to destroy things. same kids that spray paint and tag everything, and try to set the occasional picnic table or port-a-pottie on fire. :roll:

Glass is something I deal with at my local park no matter what. It used to be a dump, so oooold glass is just sitting in and on the ground. I was a bit mad though when 3 wine bottles were broken on a tee pad earlier today...

My home course is in a city park and some players drink there but youth do too. It's strewn with glass and not only the tees. I imagine dog owners and those wanting to walk bare footed won't cheer. I don't because I've had a Z Pred go to PDGA illegal on hole 4 in the first round it was used at. Every other disc feels it too. It's compelled me to lower costs by using premium plastic. Life time of base plastic drivers before becoming rollers is around a dozen to two dozens rounds.

pg043 said:
but where on earth do you live where kids pull glass bottles out of the trash just to break them? that's ridiculous.

I live in an area that has kids. Have you never witnessed a kid? They exist, I assure you, and the sound and sight of breaking glass can keep them enthralled for as long as necessary.

Actually, I see where you are going with this. My local park has 18 5-gal green pails for trash disposal at each tee pad. A course steward empties about once a week or so. It's not a big dumpster-diving ordeal to grab all the empty bottles out of the pails and smash 'em.

Regardless of where the bottles come from, if we never bring them to the course then there will be a lot less glass laying around tempting JD's. Most courses also have local non-DGers littering their empties, which can be a real pain. Help me pick those up, too!

ChUcK said:
I'd like to see golfers (who drink while they play) gear down their tastes a bit and just bring unbreakable cans.

No need to gear down; there are several great tasting craft beers to be found in cans.

Most of our drinkers all do it with bottles for their imported tastes. But we don't have enough kids frequenting our two course scavenging bottles to break, so it's never really a problem. We have more of a problem with animal control stalking us to catch all the dogs off the leash.

There's a course in Mass (Maple Hill) that has a 'no glass' policy, but it's more because they hand-sort their trash :shock: than a breakage problem.

Have you thought about putting a lid on the buckets with a hole cutout just big enough to drop a can/bottle in? Not as easy to empty then, but less tempting for someone to stick their grubby paws in and grab "smashables" :twisted:

There's a theory that more trash cans may lead to more littering, if said trash cans aren't emptied constantly. Something about seeing an overflowing mound-o-trash turns on the 'litterbug' gene. The same could apply to a trash can on every pad ('Eh, its close enough, someone else will pick it up for me'). Maybe a can every 6 holes is enough?

Paradoxically, less can be more.

ChUcK said:
I think it would benefit DG courses across the nation if we all adopt a different attitude towards glass containers on the course. For courses that have trash bins, golfers tend to place beverage waste inside (good). Kids then come along, scavenge the bottles, and smash them against the nearest available slab of concrete, the tee pad (bad).

This is so wide-spread that we need to 'adopt a different attitude'? I don't think I've ever seen glass on a tee pad at any of out local courses.

TannerBoyle said:
ChUcK said:

This is so wide-spread that we need to 'adopt a different attitude'? I don't think I've ever seen glass on a tee pad at any of out local courses.

can't hurt...

I'd do it, but most of the courses I frequent are private... city parks and other shared-public use dg courses... might not be a bad idea.

bogies is dave said:
TannerBoyle said:
ChUcK said:

can't hurt...

I'd do it, but most of the courses I frequent are private... city parks and other shared-public use dg courses... might not be a bad idea.

Everyone of the local courses around here are public and in city/county parks.
I'm not sure I need to make a change in my attitude because of a small/localized problem.

pg043 said:
I agree that cans are better than bottles, but where on earth do you live where kids pull glass bottles out of the trash just to break them? that's ridiculous.

I've seen it happen at both of our Vineland Courses and also Buzzy's Creek in Northern New Jersey. It's not ridiculous at all to think that kids would pick through trash to smash glass bottles.

TannerBoyle said:
I'm not sure I need to make a change in my attitude because of a small/localized problem.

Suit yourself. Don't leave your glass bottles on my local course, though.

ChUcK said:
TannerBoyle said:

Suit yourself. Don't leave your glass bottles on my local course, though.

:lol:

I'm not doubting you. I guess it just isn't a problem around here. It might have to do with the fact that 90 % dudes around here drink tallboy cans of Bud/Bud Light.