• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Got my first Cubby ace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, because its a second shot. Getting it right the first time is what makes it an ace. Calling anything less an ace bastardizes the whole concept.

exactly! You can call it an ace if you want - a PRACTICE ace

If you're keeping score, do you mark it as a one? NO

If you're playing metal mania, 521, etc do your friends pay you - they shouldn't. I certainly wouldnt. If they do they're morons.

There are some circumstances where you would card a '1', such as a tournament with mulligans, or being the "odd man/cali" during doubles play and putting it in the basket on your second drive. Whether you'd collect an ace pot for these shots is kind of dependent on the local rules.

If you're playing metal mania, 521, etc do your friends pay you - they shouldn't. I certainly wouldnt. If they do they're morons.
Again, local custom.

I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole.

My ace would of landed within 5ft of the basket had it not been one. It was exactly the distance of the pin, hyzering in. It wasn't lucky, it was controlled. Pretty rude and assumptuous to call 95% of aces luck. Maybe it's luck they actually went in, but it's not luck the player threw that good of a shot.

Truthfully, even real aces are far too over-revered by too many DG'ers. As elusive as they are to get, they only are as good as two birdies in the scoring department.

Yeah it's weird, you never see controversies over making a 100 foot putt, or a nice birdie, but when it comes to aces there are all sorts of holy rules one must follow, and even if every holy precept of the Ace Cult is followed, it's still deemed a worthless shot that went it due to luck, a mysterious entity with no actual existence.

What if you never keep score? What if you and your buddy habitually throw multiple drives on holes you really enjoy? What if you toss a 300 foot hole, and have it land 10 feet from the pin, tell him you can do better, and ace it the next time? That's skill, that's an ace, and that's my last post in this thread. :)

Last edited:
What if you toss a 300 foot hole, and have it land 10 feet from the pin, tell him you can do better, and ace it the next time? That's skill, that's an ace, and that's my last post in this thread. :)

Nope it is not an ace, you took sensory information from the first throw to improve your throw for the second, it is not an ace, it's a cubby ace.

Secondly, assumptuous is not a word. :doh:

My ace would of landed within 5ft of the basket had it not been one. It was exactly the distance of the pin, hyzering in. It wasn't lucky, it was controlled. Pretty rude and assumptuous to call 95% of aces luck. Maybe it's luck they actually went in, but it's not luck the player threw that good of a shot.
Let me repeat. 95% of aces are luck. Both of mine certainly were.

Yeah it's weird, you never see controversies over making a 100 foot putt, or a nice birdie, but when it comes to aces there are all sorts of holy rules one must follow, and even if every holy precept of the Ace Cult is followed, it's still deemed a worthless shot that went it due to luck, a mysterious entity with no actual existence.
If you've been reading the thread, or any of the other 2,423 DGCR threads on this overwrought subject, you'll see that luck is not the nullifying criteria. Procuring the situation to make an ace an eventual certainty (like emptying your bag on an ace run hole) is.

There are no "all sorts of holy rules", just three. First shot, from the designated tee, during a round. The end.

But even if you pass those criteria, well, congrats, but in the end who cares? Your manhood, financial well being, or eternal salvation isn't riding on whether you hit a legit disc golf ace or not.

Last edited:
you'll see that luck is not the nullifying criteria. Manipulating the situation to make an ace an eventual certainty (like emptying your bag on an ace run hole) is.

I had to change one word, otherwise it was the best point I have read in this entire thread, so I had to make it bold and repeat it :)

Mars Bluff has a 99ft wide open par 3. If I sat their and repeatedly emptied my bag I would eventually get several aces, but they are not legit because I threw, made a correction, threw again, and repeated this until I got an ace, this makes the ace cheap and not legit.

Last edited:

Congratulations on being a 5%'er.

Oh, wait. It was your 10th shot that finally went in. Moot point.

Dave's a dirty cheater! Dave's a dirty cheater!

C'mon! Everybody now!

Dave's a dirty cheater! Dave's a dirty cheater!

Cubby used to be deadly accurate from anything within 220 feet. When my course layout (Bunker Hill DGC) was shorter he would ace all the time. He was famous for his skip shots. I witnessed probably 11 aces in 4 years.

I have no idea what is going on when he plays alone. I have not seen any ace longer than 210 feet.

I have also not played with him in a long time.....'cause he disappeared from the scene. Apparently only Big John is his friend, and that guy with the video camera. Who knows.

I tried to reach out to him.....but got nothing in return.

thank you mr zurfluh . I assume you saw my post on cubbys yahoo page asking him to come on here and clear the air. Try to get back in touch with him. basically what i want to know is are ALL of his aces first throws. I dont care the length of the holes.
Were the 11 aces you witnessed all first throws ? Thanks again. Oh the camera guy is disc golf monthly's kevin mcgorry... Good guy.

Cubby's like the Johnny Depp of disc golf. He's had to go into hiding to avoid all of his ravenous "fans" stalking him.

He probably does not play that much because he has 2 bad knees and he is in his 50's. I would imagine that is also the reason he wears the sweatpants. He has a knee brace on and needs loose clothing.

I am finally understanding the point of this thread, I thought it was to congratulate Dave, but I must have missed the point, but I got it now. A cheaply earned ace will always be a Cubby ace. Can you convince me that Cubby has more 80 times more legitimate aces than the professionals?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 4
Let me enlighten about the point of this thread... well all you have to do is read the name of the thread. "Got my first CUBBY ace".
So to my understanding from the original poster of this thread a cubby ace is
a short hole or and a multi tee shot ace like many of you think he is doing on his vids.
Cubby plays on 150 foot holes all day ,the pros dont so its quite possible he has 80 more aces than the top pro. All i wanna know if his shots are first throws . I dont care about the length. I thought i made that clear. Oh yeah nice logo.

Cubby aces feel great, but no signatures on the disc and no cash is paid. so what this means is yet it is a hole in one (not an ace) but it doesnt count for your stats

Let me enlighten about the point of this thread... well all you have to do is read the name of the thread. "Got my first CUBBY ace".
So to my understanding from the original poster of this thread a cubby ace is
a short hole or and a multi tee shot ace like many of you think he is doing on his vids.
Cubby plays on 150 foot holes all day ,the pros dont so its quite possible he has 80 more aces than the top pro. All i wanna know if his shots are first throws . I dont care about the length. I thought i made that clear. Oh yeah nice logo.

I said 80 times more aces, not 80 more aces, there is a couple hundred ace difference there. We already said that their are videos that show he throws multiple discs.
Also you don't video tape yourself 400 times unless you know you are going to get an ace. He calls a 90 foot hole that he took 47 shots at an ace because he got it on film.
The chubby cheater should be honored there is a term named after him.

You know, for all the crap we give Cubby, I do enjoy his DGM segments. You gotta be hardcore to play calf deep in slush.

I said 80 times more aces, not 80 more aces, there is a couple hundred ace difference there. We already said that their are videos that show he throws multiple discs.
So then you must have read where i asked to provide the link of this video. No one ever provided the link. i Also said i fully understand why many might feel he is throwing multi shots . I also said all i have to go by is what he told me and that was 1 throw per hole. So where is the video of him throwing multi shots ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts