• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip EQ new bag designs: AX4, BX2, CS2

Update on the CS2: The bag arrived! I figured out the hack of putting an extra putter in the top pocket. Still not sure it's worth losing the easy-access storage for my phone, etc.

Yes, I've been looking for something decently minimal. 5 drivers, 5 mids and 4 putters ideally. I'm an intermediate player and want to bag more discs to begin to understand slight disc differences and to compare wear across discs of the same mold. So this bag seems perfect in theory, but I'm seeing the snugness that folks have mentioned.

Took a closer look and realized that the long, vertical interior structural panels on each side are the ones responsible for the bowing that causes that inward pressure folks are hating. I also discovered that these panels are removable via user-accessible velcro flaps on the interior of the main compartment. (The bag loses all structure when they're removed, so I'm not sure why they're user-accessible, but clearly the access flaps are meant to be used-- they've got bright green pull-loops!)

I removed the panels out of curiosity, and realized that they lay flat once freed from the confines of the lining. The bowing only happens when they're in place, due to the fact that they're ~1cm too tall compared to the space they're designed for. This is clearly what forces the side panels to bow inward, shaving off some space and increasing disc snugness. I'm sure that with some bending, I could condition these panels to bow in the opposite direction and relieve some of the pressure.

It would also be relatively simple, albeit extreme, to cut 1cm from the bottom of these plastic panels, causing them to fit their space perfectly and hold the sides straight with no bow in either direction. All in all, this would not cause a large difference for anyone looking to bag many more discs, but I think the tightness when pulling a disc would be reduced.

The capacity of the bag is great for me, so I'm keeping it, but the snugness when trying to pull a disc is already pretty annoying. With some amount of creative tinkering this bag is going to be just what I'm looking for.

This is my first upgrade away from my trusty 10-capacity Innova shoulder bag that took me from Beginner to Intermediate. I really want to stay light on my feet and even be able to jog between holes, so I don't want to go any bigger or pack tons of accessories. The only other issue I have with the CS2 (though it could be true of any backpack) is that my water bottle falls out when I bend down to pick up a disc. Anyway, thanks for the info, gang. Happy frolfing.

^ Great write-up and insight. I'm going to check out the side panels of my original CS tonight. It doesn't bow as badly as some of the pictures I've seen of the CS2, but it does feel a bit cramped.

Update on the CS2: The bag arrived! I figured out the hack of putting an extra putter in the top pocket. Still not sure it's worth losing the easy-access storage for my phone, etc.
I keep my phone and wallet in my pants pockets....I do zip my keys into the pocket under the back pad tho.

"downgraded" my bag yesterday from the Ledgestone Grip BX2 to a used Grip C15 I bought off the disc golf bags sell/trade facebook group. Unlike the current grip C series bags I wanted the insulated water bottle pockets. After receiving the bag I can see why they switched to the dual purpose storage pocket/water bottle holder design. The C15 really sets up for casual rounds.
The biggest thing I noticed was that I didn't give up much disc space. Granted the C15 is certainly more broken in than my BX2 but I'm still fitting 13 discs in the main pocket with a loose 2 or snug 3 in the top quiver pocket. The C15 is nearly a BX2 minus the storage pockets, which is exactly what I wanted from a casual round bag.

BX2 loaded weight: 15.4lbs
C15 loaded weight: 11.6lbs

BX2 loadout:
16 discs in main, 2 in quiver
2 minis
2-32oz water bottles
towch with birdie bag inside it
BX2 rainfly, 2 extra drying towels in ziplock bags in right side storage
Sunscreen, bugspray, main drying towel in left side storage
Clipboard, koozie, notepad for tournament prep course notes in upper storage. Wallet and keys go here too (not included in weight)

BX2 loadout:
13 discs in main, 2 in quiver (eliminated my backup zone, backup wasp and my duplicate putter to just have my long range fierce for understable putts and a single firefly for inside C1 putts)
2 minis
2-32oz water bottles
birdie bag clipped on
image0%2B%25288%2529.jpeg

image1%2B%25289%2529.jpeg

For me this seems like a pretty perfect bag combo. For casual rounds I don't need backups of any disc, if I lose one it'll force me to become more acquainted with the other discs in my bag, I don't need to carry all the extra stuff, if it's raining I'm probably not forcing myself to play so no need for extra towels/rainfly. casual rounds don't take 3+ hours so no need to re-up on sunscreen/bugspray. For tournament rounds I can swap over to the BX2, toss in 3-4 backups for my utility discs and off I go. I'd probably sell my BX2 to get an AX4 for tournaments just to gain a bit more space for a few more backup discs and easier fit a coat/sweatshirt during fall/spring rounds. But if I was doing that it would have to be for an Eagle Mcmahon bag. Thankfully there aren't any in stock anywhere so that saves me from myself.

....I do zip my keys into the pocket under the back pad tho.

I actually forgot about that pocket!

I checked it out last night and the zipper was packed shut with dirt. :doh:

Hey guys! I'm contemplating on purchasing an AX4 but I've seen some negative reviews regarding the quality of this most recent lineup of Grip bags. Especially the shoulder straps seem to be prone to tears and the overall quality seems not to be on par with their previous bags according to some of the user experiences. Somewhere I also read that Grip has changed their fabric supplier and that it has affected negatively on the durability of their products. Do you know anything about this?

What are your experiences and thoughts on the durability and overall quality of these newer Grip bags? Especially interested in hearing from those who already have used their bag for several months.

"downgraded" my bag yesterday from the Ledgestone Grip BX2 to a used Grip C15 I bought off the disc golf bags sell/trade facebook group. Unlike the current grip C series bags I wanted the insulated water bottle pockets. After receiving the bag I can see why they switched to the dual purpose storage pocket/water bottle holder design. The C15 really sets up for casual rounds.

For me this seems like a pretty perfect bag combo. For casual rounds I don't need backups of any disc, if I lose one it'll force me to become more acquainted with the other discs in my bag, I don't need to carry all the extra stuff, if it's raining I'm probably not forcing myself to play so no need for extra towels/rainfly.

Update on my original thoughts about the C15. I hadn't given consideration to "between seasons" rounds. Or even winter rounds in general. I find myself wanting to carry the C15 because it's already a lot of work trudging through snow and I don't want the extra weight of the AX4 and it's extra discs/stuff But halfway through a round when I'm too warm and want to shed a layer or get rid of my gloves etc. I have no where to store them in the C15.
So, from that standpoint, Perhaps the dual purpose storage pockets of the CS2 are the better option.

I'm still not certain either bag is the perfect option, as both have trade-offs throughout the various seasons here in MI. Just my morning coffee thoughts today.

Any idea on when the new Grip bags will be released? I saw someone of their Facebook page comment a vague "Coming Soon"

There was a response on one of their posts to a lack of color options. It was something like new colors coming this summer. The B series colors are limited to black being sold, so I'm hoping production ramps up with new colors. I loved the older series with more color options.

There was a response on one of their posts to a lack of color options. It was something like new colors coming this summer. The B series colors are limited to black being sold, so I'm hoping production ramps up with new colors. I loved the older series with more color options.

Me too. I would love a purple or blue A series.

We play out in the woods, having essentially camouflage colors as your only options is silly. Where's the blaze orange, hot pink, lime green, etc? Especially the sand color, who TF needs to feel like an Operator over in the sandbox when they're out killing beers and dodging bogies during dubs league night?

Latest posts