• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Will Schusterick peaked?

He has never made enough money in disc golf that he has paid in over 100k in taxes I think you are misinterpreting what he said.

Did you not read Paul's post? He literally said exactly that. Maybe it's you that's misinterpreting what he said.

>Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
>My taxes were over 6 figures one year

he would have to make over 300k to pay in 100k in taxes, and write $0 off. I don't think that in his best year ever he was paid an extra 230k in extra income is all im saying. again this has nothing to do with the topic of the thread or what I was trying to say a page ago.

Why does what you think carry more weight than what Paul said? I don't get it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

my dream is that we can get off of paul mcbeth and his salary due to the fact my post that sparked this had 0.0 to do with paul mcbeth and his finances which I care very very little about.

For something you say you care very little about you seem to like trying to dismiss facts about said subject put forth by other people.

You know how we stop talking about it? You admit you were wrong, which you can't seem to do :p

Will has both the distance and mid/aproach game to give both wysocki and mcbeth a serious run for their money every time. However to win a major tournament now days one seem to need to make close to 100% puts inside the circle and several 30'-40' puts aswell.

As everyone knows, that's what Will is missing. He's like 25 years old (?) so he's still fairly young and obviously he's super talented. If he'd spent this off season practicing putting like crazy then i'm sure he'd be back on the winning track, but to me it doesnt seem like he has.

Interviewed during a smashboxx podcast, at least to me, it seemed he was more focused at crushing 600+ drives than spending a lot of time putting. So im not even sure he sees his problem the same way i do. Maybe he'll need another season with insecure putting before he makes a change?

He's made it clear that he intends to compete amongst the best in disc golf for years to come. Maybe this is one of those times that something gets worse before it gets better :p

I for one sure hope he'll be back playing at his very best, it can only be positive for the sport. Regardles of who dislikes who, and who pays the most taxes

20th at Memorial.

Let's look at some of his stats.

Ratings wise, he was consistently inconsistent. His first round was rated at 1048, followed by a 1001 rated round. Then, he had a 1049 rated round. This was of course followed by a 1005 rated round. This averages to about a 1026 rated tournament, 10 points above his current rating.

Now, thanks to the DGPT, we can look deeper into his rounds and stats that way. For the tournament his stats looked like:
CiEcGE3.jpg

These show some certain parts of his game that excelled and lacked when compared to the rest of the field.

However, we can also look at each rounds stats as well. In round 1, he was bogey free, making 100 percent of circle one putts, and 38 percent from C2. Also, he had an 100 percent scramble rate, thus no bogeys. This round was rated 1048.

His next round, rated 1001, shows a different game. He was 81 percent from Circle One, and made 0 putts from circle two. He had a 67 percent scramble rate as well.

The following round, he was 95 percent from Circle one, a huge increase from the prior round. He was in Circle one in regulation 56 percent of the time. This led to a 1049 rated round.

The last round, was another subpar round for an MPO player, rated at 1001. Although he converted on 100 percent of C1 putts, he was in C1 in regulation only 39 percent of the time.

Will's putting was fine. His problem comes from placement. If he is within the circle in regulation a lot, chances are he will convert. If he is off a little bit, good luck.

Look more into his stats at https://udisclive.com/live/memorial2017/4?t=scores&g=4&d=MPO

20th at Memorial.

Let's look at some of his stats.

Ratings wise, he was consistently inconsistent. His first round was rated at 1048, followed by a 1001 rated round. Then, he had a 1049 rated round. This was of course followed by a 1005 rated round. This averages to about a 1026 rated tournament, 10 points above his current rating.

Now, thanks to the DGPT, we can look deeper into his rounds and stats that way. For the tournament his stats looked like:
CiEcGE3.jpg

These show some certain parts of his game that excelled and lacked when compared to the rest of the field.

However, we can also look at each rounds stats as well. In round 1, he was bogey free, making 100 percent of circle one putts, and 38 percent from C2. Also, he had an 100 percent scramble rate, thus no bogeys. This round was rated 1048.

His next round, rated 1001, shows a different game. He was 81 percent from Circle One, and made 0 putts from circle two. He had a 67 percent scramble rate as well.

The following round, he was 95 percent from Circle one, a huge increase from the prior round. He was in Circle one in regulation 56 percent of the time. This led to a 1049 rated round.

The last round, was another subpar round for an MPO player, rated at 1001. Although he converted on 100 percent of C1 putts, he was in C1 in regulation only 39 percent of the time.

Will's putting was fine. His problem comes from placement. If he is within the circle in regulation a lot, chances are he will convert. If he is off a little bit, good luck.

Look more into his stats at https://udisclive.com/live/memorial2017/4?t=scores&g=4&d=MPO

Nice breakdown, but...Will's putting was fine? Watch Round 2 on Prodigy's channel. It's painful. (The entire card struggles except for Dustin Keegan.) Will's putting is not fine.

A better analysis beyond the stats, would be to look at the courses and the ratings together. That second round was the easiest course in the tourney, albeit one with some joke holes that could produce big numbers. But it is shorter and tighter than the other courses.

Will excels when he can air it out and use his power to overwhelm the course. On tighter or more technical courses that require placement and putting, he is very average.

Nice breakdown, but...Will's putting was fine? Watch Round 2 on Prodigy's channel. It's painful. (The entire card struggles except for Dustin Keegan.) Will's putting is not fine.

A better analysis beyond the stats, would be to look at the courses and the ratings together. That second round was the easiest course in the tourney, albeit one with some joke holes that could produce big numbers. But it is shorter and tighter than the other courses.

Will excels when he can air it out and use his power to overwhelm the course. On tighter or more technical courses that require placement and putting, he is very average.

You are absolutely right. By looking at his stats, it shows that he was fine inside the circle. Sadly, this was not the case on the outside the circle putts. He was consistenly putting it within 20 meters, but missing the putts. Make a few more of those, he becomes top ten.

Thank you for pointing that out.

You are absolutely right. By looking at his stats, it shows that he was fine inside the circle. Sadly, this was not the case on the outside the circle putts. He was consistenly putting it within 20 meters, but missing the putts. Make a few more of those, he becomes top ten.

Thank you for pointing that out.

A look beyond the stats? There is no look beyond the stats.

If the numbers across a wide range of holes show that Will his hitting his putts, he's hitting his putts. You addressed C1. He was 100% in three rounds. And in one round, the worst, he was 81%, still respectable. You pointed out, quite correctly, that in circle 2 he wasn't nearly as good. In fact, he's awful. Finally, you said that he isn't getting into C1 and that's costing him. That suggests that his long game and his approach game is letting him down, maybe. To give it relevance, you need to compare it to what the other guys are doing, Paul, and Ricky would be optimal, since that is who he is compared to. Are they getting in there at a higher frequency? If that is the case, then yep that's his fail point. If they aren't, then the difference is that they are making those C2 putts, and that is what he needs to work on. Case one suggests that it isn't putting, but his longer game, case two says it's one category of putting, his long putt.

Will's putting looks awful. The fact is, I don't know what his putting was like before his game went south. Maybe it's always looked awful. Judging his putting based on the way it looks isn't nearly as important as judging whether he hits his putts or not. Thanks.

I'm not sure if the stats are entirely reflective because I don't have any insight into how the stats are calculated. For instance, if you miss a putt from circle 2 but make the comeback putt from 10' does this count towards your % of makes inside the circle? If it does then being awful from circle 2 would actually make your circle 1 percentage better as you're often left with short putts.

The reason so many comment on Will's putting is because of what we're seeing with our own eyes. If you watch the coverage from round 2, posted to prodigy's channel, the putts aren't just misses they are terrible. Like as if I were the one putting terrible. Misses from 25' that don't come within 3' of the basket or don't even reach the basket. He may have had a tougher than usual driving round in round 4, but I haven't revised my opinion of the aspect of Will's game that is letting him down.

Go to 12:30 of this video. This is what opened my eyes to the fact that Will might not ever be the same again. There is no way he ever misses that park job 3-4 years ago, even with a onesie on. Consistency is his worst enemy right now. He can beat this...and I sure hope he does.

I'm not sure if the stats are entirely reflective because I don't have any insight into how the stats are calculated. For instance, if you miss a putt from circle 2 but make the comeback putt from 10' does this count towards your % of makes inside the circle? If it does then being awful from circle 2 would actually make your circle 1 percentage better as you're often left with short putts.

The reason so many comment on Will's putting is because of what we're seeing with our own eyes. If you watch the coverage from round 2, posted to prodigy's channel, the putts aren't just misses they are terrible. Like as if I were the one putting terrible. Misses from 25' that don't come within 3' of the basket or don't even reach the basket. He may have had a tougher than usual driving round in round 4, but I haven't revised my opinion of the aspect of Will's game that is letting him down.

Your idea is right, but flawed. You can get that stat too if they collect data hole to hole. That said, no one double putts too many times on a 1040 rated round. Or even on a 1000 rated round. So I don't think that's what's going on. Although, I'd guess you could say he's parking it every time and missing his putt to get a par. That would mean his long game is the best out there. That assumption still means he's getting some putts because you need some birds to get under par.

Again, it doesn't matter how bad he misses when he misses. What matters are the numbers. 100% in C1 is 100%. The original comment is correct. We just need to know the info I asked for to get an answer.

I haven't gone through much, but in round one, Will out performed Paul, Circle 2. But Paul was closer on more drives, short and long. Interesting story developing.

I don't want to say he peaked, but he didn't develop like everything around him. Right now I can't see him catching up, if he ever will he needs a couple of more years of life under his belt. Maybe when he reaches 30...

I'm not sure if the stats are entirely reflective because I don't have any insight into how the stats are calculated. For instance, if you miss a putt from circle 2 but make the comeback putt from 10' does this count towards your % of makes inside the circle? .

Totally agree. If Will is missing putts from 35-40 ft. for birdie and getting the comeback 10 ft. throw for par, then the 100% inside Circle 1 is potentially misleading.

Overall, I don't know if Will has peaked. But for whatever reason, he's not at the level of Paul McBeth, Ricky Wysocki, Simon Lizotte, and an up-and-coming Eagle McMahon... and I could probably throw a LOT more names in here.

Golf is such a mental game. Your emotions can help or hinder.

Honestly, I think the guy is terribly unhappy with the way his company Prodigy is evolving or lack there of. It appears the stress of that is not helping his game at all.

I played with Will in the fall in an event and his putting was extremely poor. Painfully poor.

He probably had 15 - 16 birdie putts and shot 6 under.

Easily should have shot at worst 12.

Latest posts