• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Will Schusterick peaked?

will's deterioration is easily traced to when he went with a full prodigy bag. his rating has steadily declined since. he putted fine (not elite, but good) with aviars and wizards.

and he isn't getting married until after the usdgc.

He's a 3 time USDGC winner. So, the argument could be made.

That's really the only argument to the OP. In those terms, perhaps. However the list of people with 3 USDGCs is only him, Climo and Schultz, and only he did it 3 out of 4 times. (remember there was no regular USDGC in 2011, only performance).

Yup, but it doesn't help your mental game to use a putter you are not confident in. Confidence is everything, especially in putting.

Some molds just don't mesh, it happens. I will agree that inside the circle, it could be negligible. But if you took McPro Aviars away from Paul and gave him a Discraft Challenger and said "Win worlds with this", he will struggle.

uh, no.
Confidence yes, but a good putter will work/can work with what he's got ...

That's really the only argument to the OP. In those terms, perhaps. However the list of people with 3 USDGCs is only him, Climo and Schultz, and only he did it 3 out of 4 times. (remember there was no regular USDGC in 2011, only performance)

Minor correction, but Climo won 3 out of the first 4 USDGC (99, 00, 02) so Will's not the only one to win three in four tries. In fact, Climo won four of the first six, a feat that presently only Will could match, were he to win this year.

Some molds just don't mesh, it happens. I will agree that inside the circle, it could be negligible. But if you took McPro Aviars away from Paul and gave him a Discraft Challenger and said "Win worlds with this", he will struggle.

Are you saying that he would be...Challenged?? :D

Confidence yes, but a good putter will work/can work with what he's got ...

I think this is true. With enough practice time, you should be able to make any necessary adjustments and get confident. Heck, a top-tier player like Will should be able to get a specific plastic/mold combination if they don't like what's currently available.

'Tis a poor carpenter that blames his tools. (Or, in the case of this thread: a bunch of non-elite carpenters theorizing that a very high-level carpenter's tools might be to blame. I may have stretched this metaphor to far...)

Wills rating always seems higher to me than how he is playing when I get to watch him. Major NTs that is. Numbers game?

Anyway, It seems obvious the issue is with his putting form. It is so strange. He's missing allot of inside the circle putts (even 15-20 footers), I'm sure that it zapping his confidence.

I'd like to see Will sit down and watch his own form, he'd be like Yikes!

I'm amazed that ppl are still making the 'brand switch' argument. What's to be said of Ricky, who has excelled with all three sponsors in little time vs Will, who has been with Prodigy since the beginning?

The difference b/t Ricky/Paul vs Will/Nikko in my mind is this.. Ricky/Paul work to improve on their biggest weaknesses, whereas Will/Nikko are seemingly doing the exact same things they've always done in terms of their weaknesses. Will's putting form looks the same as always and Nikko's mental game looks the same as always, if not worse.

Nikko seems to be aware of his putting woes, he mentioned a week or so ago that he was looking to work on it. Hope to see them both in top form soon.

In the videos of Nikko that I have seen, he seems to be putting better this year than he did last year.

I'm amazed that ppl are still making the 'brand switch' argument. What's to be said of Ricky, who has excelled with all three sponsors in little time vs Will, who has been with Prodigy since the beginning?

The difference b/t Ricky/Paul vs Will/Nikko in my mind is this.. Ricky/Paul work to improve on their biggest weaknesses, whereas Will/Nikko are seemingly doing the exact same things they've always done in terms of their weaknesses. Will's putting form looks the same as always and Nikko's mental game looks the same as always, if not worse.

It was heavily rumored Ricky continued to use aviars well into prodigy.

In the videos of Nikko that I have seen, he seems to be putting better this year than he did last year.

Definitely no. Watching nikko putt is a perfect example of what someone who has zero confidence and no form consistency in a death spiral. I've been in that spot myself and it sucks.

Definitely no. Watching nikko putt is a perfect example of what someone who has zero confidence and no form consistency in a death spiral. I've been in that spot myself and it sucks.

Cool beans.

I do remember that last year (2015) there was a discussion about how long Nikko took to putt, and Paul McBeth said he'd never call a time penalty on Nikko because the longer Nikko took to putt, the more likely he missed.

Anyway, we'll see if Shusterick can get over his putting "yips" and start pushing McBeth, Wisocky, and Lizotte for some titles...

Not a rumor, he did win TX states with a KC pro aviar and all prodigy played with a mix bag in their first year. That said, his pro worlds playoff with mcbeth was with an all prodigy bag. He's playing better than ever right now in his second year with lat64.

The point is Will is well beyond the use of the 'sponsorship change' excuse.

uh no. 1040+ since Dec 2012.
Wysocki was on pace to be the first 1050 rated player before switching. Also see post above about using some Innova discs during that.

First thing I noticed was his putting..he hits himself in the groin..it's like 3 hitches.
He needs to watch Wisocki & follow his style. If he doesn't correct it he will be passed up.
Everything else is outstanding..but putting is where it's at!

Wysocki was on pace to be the first 1050 rated player before switching. Also see post above about using some Innova discs during that.

I heard that response... and I know what Judge Judy would say.

I'm still waiting for your verification that "his rating suffered" when he switched to Prodigy.

Unless you mean that "maintaining a rating in the 1040s" was "his rating suffering".

Wills long hyzer shots are amazing. His distance drives are good. His short game and finesse game is off. His putting is broken. His mental game is shaky. His confidence is absent.
He would still kick my ass on any course.

Didn't Ricky help greatly with the development of the PA3, which is essentially a KC Aviar clone?

I like how people are trying to point to ONE big factor but could it be that various factors are in play, you know, like how life actually is?

#stopbeingsoDGCRDGCR

Dingdingding. Talked to Will today for a BSF preview, and he pretty much just said his whole game is off. But this weekend is a good chance to get back on track, as he's historically performed well at Milo.

Also, I think he's just engaged, getting married later this year.

Latest posts