• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Help me pick a slightly understable driver

Rogue is like a more controlled Surge, its sweet and there are some cool ones out there....only 13-16$ and cool plastic. Surge is slight US, but still has fade. haha and if you want REALLY US, get a mamba, haha the thing is crazy US, but I love it for oddball shots

The Rogue might be worth noting, but I have the super flippy spot covered. I don't really like Mambas way too flippy for what I want for this slot.

Let me throw another champ tern vote in the hat. A mid 160's will have that gentle turn, and come back as long as there isn't wind in your face. If you can find a metal flake tern I've found those to have a hair more stability than regular champs. I love mine and have recommended them to several buddies.

Beast, star turns more, champ fades more. Change the release angle a little to work it either way.

Let me throw another champ tern vote in the hat. A mid 160's will have that gentle turn, and come back as long as there isn't wind in your face. If you can find a metal flake tern I've found those to have a hair more stability than regular champs. I love mine and have recommended them to several buddies.

Champ Tern is a good suggestion for the same reason my Lace is. They fly very similarly.

I briefly tried the Lace, and when I threw it right it flew very similarly to how my terns do, I just ha trouble with the rim. I may have to revisit it though for fun, they feel really nice.

I don't really like DX plastic for drivers, and currently have no base plastic in the bag. I just play too many wooded holes for them to last very long at a consistent stability.

For the Record I've tried both a DX and Pro Wraith and the were fantastic until they got too flippy.

Sounds like star, gstar or champ wraith might be the ticket. Personally , I find star too slick in the winter and my star wraith is significantly more over stable than my dx. If your playing a lot of trees , star might get to that happy place quickly enough. If gstar wraith is like my g star teebird, it may start out a touch less stable than star And should hold up well to tree abuse. G star also has good grip in the cold. G star is too gummy/soft for me in the summer. Wraith sounds like the flight / distance your looking for , just gotta find the right plastic/stability/weight combo that works for you. I think they have a gummy champ factory second in pro shop right now as well as several other options. If they have factory second recycled star ,they are a great value @ $8. Pick up a few different wraiths/plastics and sell off the one s u don't like.

Last edited:
I don't get much more distance from any 9, 10, 11 speed drivers than I do with my Stag so I'm not sure if my suggestions will meet your rim/speed requirements but here's what I use / have used in that spot :

Champ Beast.
Champ Tern / VIP Sorcerer.
VIP Sword.
Lucid or Moonshine Trespass.

I throw kings or destroyers for that spot too but you have pick the right ones or beat in a stable star destroyer.

Last edited:
G Star Destroyer if you want just enough turn to give you the line drive distance, with a reliable fade. With your Teebird distance you will be fine with this, and it will put you to the next distance class.

If you want what the Vulcan/Katana did but more controllably, then champ Tern perhaps.

I know you said speed 10-11, but at 350' Teebird you can handle those discs once you get used to them, and they will be clearly further than the Teebirds.

This^ also. I am more of 300 ft teebird on the course and find 350 easily with wraiths and flirting with 400 mark with dx and blizzard destroyers. On the occasion I flirt with the 400 mark with a destroyer, the fade is not as harsh as it is closer to 350. Speed 12 felt out of confort zone on grip at first, but doesnt bother me anymore. My arms not quite destroyer worthy yet, but sound like your ready.

A max weight P Inertia should fill this roll nicely. They are a little more overstable than the Neutron, and at that distance (from what I've read about here) shouldn't be too understable.

Flow. It's not as US as the numbers suggest. GL is definitely more US than Opto though.

Northman is an SL.

I know it's a 12, but I cannot recommend the Champ Tern enough.

This and if the Champ Tern is too stable then try Star Tern. The new Flow's are stable to overstable for me.

The new Flow's are stable to overstable for me.
In GL? I need to pick up a few more. A really stable GL would be great to have when there is too much wind for Renegades or Terns. Filling that slot has been the most difficult one in my bad. Trespasses seem to break in faster than any other disc, so they don't last there.

In GL? I need to pick up a few more. A really stable GL would be great to have when there is too much wind for Renegades or Terns. Filling that slot has been the most difficult one in my bad. Trespasses seem to break in faster than any other disc, so they don't last there.

Sorry, I have only thrown Opto and the first couple I had were great gummy plastic and not too stable. The last two I ordered on-line showed up at my door looking like Flow but.....were slippery plastic and very stable for me. Totally different discs than before. I am done wit Flow for now. Using Starfire in that slot as that is what the new Opto Flows fly like.

I have a Hu in the bag which is pretty much a Valk, either one of them gets too much turn and won't come back much though.

Splurge and buy a good flat pearly PFN Orc. You'll fall in love immediately, The Opto Bolt would also bomb for you, too.

To piggyback off of^^^....Teebirds can't really be beat in distance. I throw them about 380, and only hit about 430 with Destroyers. That's 50ft gain in 5, FIVE!, speeds. Keep working Teebirds, you'll learn to love them.

Latest posts