• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help Me Undo 15 Years of Bad Habits

LBlackburn

Hi all,

This is my first video for critique.
It's a 310 foot drive with a Champion Valkyrie (169 g):

http://www.youtube.com/user/lbblackburn#p/u/0/2iMqYxryQog

I would appreciate any comments.

In an open field I typically throw drivers between 260 and 320 feet after being warmed up. Probably averaging 290 feet. In a round, I probably throw 30 feet less than that. (My furthest practice throw I've measured was 350 feet with a Champion Beast, but probably wind-aided.)

I've read a lot and watched a lot of videos, so I sort of know what correct form should be like, I just can't implement my knowledge. In this video I notice I am drifting to the right in my run up. I also notice that when the disc passes my torso it's at least a full 12-18 inches away from my body instead of right up against it. When I try to keep the disc in close (as in the right pec drill) I tend to either lose a lot of power and distance or yank the disc way right. When I get a chance I'll post such a video. I don't feel like I'm getting my body into the throw very much (but don't know how to fix that) and I definitely never feel anything on my drives that could be described as snap. I don't feel that my arm is acting like a whip. I don't have consistent form. Sometimes I reach further back. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower. Doesn't seem to improve anything.

Thanks for reading,
Len

Hi and welcome.

There are at least two technique issues besides the ones you mentioned that prevent the whip like arm motion of snapping. Your legs do all the work of turning you toward the target you don't twist the hips to the right of neutral at all. That's called missing the hip explosion which is aptly named. It really should be a violent motion from the hips. The shoulders could also go to the right of the hips but that may not be that important yet. Compared to your strong arming. You start to pull with the arm almost as soon as the arm moves. Nobody has the power to accelerate the arm from reach back. Try to stay as loose with the arm as possible until the right pec position and getting there with mostly the legs and the hips and only a minor motion of the arm moving the disc from the left pec to the right during the pause of the body rotation, ask for an explanation if you don't know what it is. You should really start to accelerate with the arm muscles quite a short way from the arm being straight pointed almost at the target but the exact point where you should begin depends on your arm speed, muscle power, quickness of your nervous system etc. so it's individual. The optimum point has to be found by experimenting and it should change with practice as the nerves get faster and you develop more faster muscle cells.

JR:

Thanks very much for the reply. I'll work on twisting the hips and shoulders more. I'll also keep my arm loose until the end.

I've heard about this pause before the hit before, but don't understand it. Any explanation of this pause would be appreciated.

Your reply was very helpful. I feel like I have some things to work on now rather than just solidfying my bad form through repetition.

From reach back the shoulders will turn back to neutral and bring the disc to the left pec without any motion of the right arm. Then the torso faces 90 degrees left of the target. There the legs and hips plus shoulders should almost but not totally stop moving while you begin the arm pull very slowly and with extremely loose muscles until you get to the right pec. From there on you should quickly accelerate the legs, hips, shoulders and arm respectively and in that order. There will be overlap but that is the starting order for the great acceleration. Climo suggests in FGCU clinic video on Youtube to accelerate the hardest with the arm when the disc is about 8-10" short of the arm being straight pointed at the target.

Latest posts