• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High Desert Distance Challenge 2016

Throwing that far is damn cool. No doubt about it.

Not having a wind restriction for a "world record" is somewhat ridiculous. It seems it's just as much about getting lucky on a certain throw.

Throwing that far is damn cool. No doubt about it.

Not having a wind restriction for a "world record" is somewhat ridiculous. It seems it's just as much about getting lucky on a certain throw.

You think we can set the record with some tornado winds rolling through? Updraft and **** FTW... As long as we survive the event to enjoy the famous status!

Thanks for chiming in. Glad Scott recognized how great that throw was. And yeah Chris Voight had a great throw with the discraft xs.

What a great thread. I've had my head banged on the bleachers at least once from some naysayers and I haven't even threw anything yet. I was just sitting on the sidelines.

Liked the comment about emptying my bag out for an old love and I should send it out to espn.

Well, actually she was spell-bounded the whole night. And ya know I don't have to say what that lead to fill in the blanks. No pun.

So I'm sure when Simon gets home he's going to have a few ladies well probably at least one waiting on him. Might only be mom. But the long drives will eventually get you laid. Period.

I'm glad were waking people up with this. The beauty of flight.

This doesn't seem very different than the 'most holes in a day' record, where you need to find the absolute shortest course possible to have a chance.

I'd love to see someone try to fly a drone in those winds, lol. Is that even possible?

This doesn't seem very different than the 'most holes in a day' record, where you need to find the absolute shortest course possible to have a chance.

I'd love to see someone try to fly a drone in those winds, lol. Is that even possible?
Sure something a Reaper or Predator.

Many years ago I threw javelin in high school. The max length in throwing javelin is reached by throwing into the wind. The meet coordinators always had us throwing into the wind for maximum distance. I can't remember any controversy about wind speeds on record throws.

Congrats to Simon on throwing a disc further than any other human being.

most land speed records for vehicles (from cars to pedal powered bikes) are done in the same environment - salt flats and high winds. it's very similar and doesn't take away from the achievement.

that being said... you could do this golf driving distance competition style and really entertain a large crowd inside a stadium too.

most land speed records for vehicles (from cars to pedal powered bikes) are done in the same environment - salt flats and high winds. it's very similar and doesn't take away from the achievement.

that being said... you could do this golf driving distance competition style and really entertain a large crowd inside a stadium too.

At Bonneville you have to make two passes; one down, and one back and the speed is averaged out so that the positive effect of the wind on one run is cancelled out by the negative effect of the other run.

At Bonneville you have to make two passes; one down, and one back and the speed is averaged out so that the positive effect of the wind on one run is cancelled out by the negative effect of the other run.

That method still has so many extraneous variables. One competitor could have a huge tailwind and on the way back little headwind. And another could have little tail or head wind.

And a third competitor could have a massive tailwind and halfway through the the run the wind changes into a headwind while he enters a wormhole into the 4th dimension where it takes him 30 years to travel 1mile upon reentry is now and elderly man but wiser old man.

Are you sure that's true?I have been to the Land Speed Meet twice at El Mirage and everyone made multiple passes going the same way.No back and forth.To the end towed back to the start and try again.Im genuinely curios if the do it differently at Bonneville.And if you've never been to one go check it out!

Why worry about the general public? Disc golfers know what it takes. Why isn't that enough?

for some strange reason, AIM is quite concerned about "not getting respect" from others - it is a strange preoccupation - a therapist may be helpful :\

Last edited:

Latest posts