• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills II - Resurrection

Should we (actually you, da Crippler) send a note to an admin to close the old thread?

I had one really great and one not so good one but, the disc golf always top notch. I'd go back not matter what. Love the place.

I had a blast both time there, but you always know you're not walking into the greatest situation (outside the frolf) ever. Was always part of the charm.

I'm certainly watching what's happening with guarded enthusiasm. There's, obviously, a huge perception problem with HH to get over. However, the times I have been there, I loved the golf and had a great time with friends. The staff were always the sketchiest part of the complex. The first time we visited, we nearly packed up an left on day 1, because of how we were addressed by a "volunteer". Glad we stuck it out, but if HH is run well, I'm sure I'll be back at least on a yearly basis.

Knowing Toms personality . . . I am excited for the future of Highbridge. I am already working on plans to host a tournament at Highbridge this summer/fall. I also am planning to host a Team Disc Golf Experience weekend there with my entire team. I will also be offering any assistance Tom needs to help get more people up there, if he needs assistance in addressing maintenance issues of the past. I am a long work history in property maintenance and might have some techniques or possible specialty equipment that might make the job easier. I would also like to put together a work party of sorts to bring anyone who wants to volunteer for a weekend to help get the course into perfect condition for the start of the 2019 season. Ill be talking to Tom about those details in the near future too.

My last visit was with 3 other buddies around 2013 or so. Camped, never played the same hole twice all weekend, glow golf the night in between, quite a few beverages, never had to drive anywhere. Easily the best disc golf weekend I've ever had.
Sure I've played some great courses, but Nowhere Else can you have a weekend like that.

My Favorites in order were Blueberry, Granite Ridge, Woodland, Gold, Bear, Chestnut

I've built a few courses, and I never liked the people that said "let me know when it's done so I can play..." but.. I'll just say that even though the Twin Cities are about 4 hours away - I can't wait to make this into an annual weekend getaway and whatever you decide to charge for Greens Fees & Camping spot - we'll be ready to pay.

Staying in a motel in Ashland is definitely an option if you don't mind a 20 min drive and would gladly trade that for a hot shower, hot meals and warm bed. But I really hope you continue to offer camping - we promise we'll be responsible!

The last time I was there, I developed a fever early day two of our three day trip. At first I thought it was maybe food poisoning, or at least a bad reaction to the meat that was brought, but the more I think of it, I believe it was the water on site. We brought bottled water for drinking, but we interacted with the water in the Honka House a lot through cooking, showering, and whatnot.

I soldiered through the fever to keep playing, despite the carts we were promised not working, but my downtime was spent on the couch. We have nightly traditions of going to play Blueberry #3 over and over again, playing cards, and generally staying up late. I had to skip that, and that is one of the main reasons to go with this large group. For me, what made it worse was the trip back. The floods washed away all the roads except through Hayward (in no way a fault of HBH), and since I was heading from Highbridge to my sons' week camping experience at Many Point Scout Camp (five hours away under normal conditions), it was now a nine hour trip.

I was so sick that every hour I pulled over and tried to take a 20 minute nap before resuming my drive. This was Sunday morning, and my fever did not break until late Tuesday - those two days at Scout camp were miserable for me since I was the lead adult.

What I am saying is that once this HBH is back up and running, do not do anything half-assed and do not let things fall into a state of disrepair. I have lasting memories of that last trip, but most of it was not positive. I would love for HBH to become a destination again, but for now, I like what I see is happening at Chain's Edge in Mora, MN. It is a different style of play (tightly wooded), but if it becomes a destination and I have to pick between the two... Let's make Highbridge great again so it is actually a difficult decision.

The last time I was there, I developed a fever early day two of our three day trip. At first I thought it was maybe food poisoning, or at least a bad reaction to the meat that was brought, but the more I think of it, I believe it was the water on site. We brought bottled water for drinking, but we interacted with the water in the Honka House a lot through cooking, showering, and whatnot.

I soldiered through the fever to keep playing, despite the carts we were promised not working, but my downtime was spent on the couch. We have nightly traditions of going to play Blueberry #3 over and over again, playing cards, and generally staying up late. I had to skip that, and that is one of the main reasons to go with this large group. For me, what made it worse was the trip back. The floods washed away all the roads except through Hayward (in no way a fault of HBH), and since I was heading from Highbridge to my sons' week camping experience at Many Point Scout Camp (five hours away under normal conditions), it was now a nine hour trip.

I was so sick that every hour I pulled over and tried to take a 20 minute nap before resuming my drive. This was Sunday morning, and my fever did not break until late Tuesday - those two days at Scout camp were miserable for me since I was the lead adult.

What I am saying is that once this HBH is back up and running, do not do anything half-assed and do not let things fall into a state of disrepair. I have lasting memories of that last trip, but most of it was not positive. I would love for HBH to become a destination again, but for now, I like what I see is happening at Chain's Edge in Mora, MN. It is a different style of play (tightly wooded), but if it becomes a destination and I have to pick between the two... Let's make Highbridge great again so it is actually a difficult decision.
Those things will never happen again. These people are dead serious, they don't do anything half assed. Some have been waiting for this opportunity for years and they are absolutely determined that your next trip to Highbridge is as pleasant an experience as they can make it. Please come back and visit this summer. I promise things will be better.

Knowing Toms personality . . . I am excited for the future of Highbridge. I am already working on plans to host a tournament at Highbridge this summer/fall. I also am planning to host a Team Disc Golf Experience weekend there with my entire team. I will also be offering any assistance Tom needs to help get more people up there, if he needs assistance in addressing maintenance issues of the past. I am a long work history in property maintenance and might have some techniques or possible specialty equipment that might make the job easier. I would also like to put together a work party of sorts to bring anyone who wants to volunteer for a weekend to help get the course into perfect condition for the start of the 2019 season. Ill be talking to Tom about those details in the near future too.

Couldn't be more excited with all of these new developments! My group like so many others used to make a yearly trip up there and even with the EX staff and amenities always had a great time. The last two years we were forced to go elsewhere and it never quite added up to the amazing experience that a HBH weekend is. I look forward to many many more trips.

And harr0140 if you do get a work day organized please post about it asap so I can hopefully set up time away from work and child care to make sure I am up there. Hell I'm down to just move tires for a whole day lol. But seriously interested in work day/ weekend!

And harr0140 if you do get a work day organized please post about it asap so I can hopefully set up time away from work and child care to make sure I am up there. Hell I'm down to just move tires for a whole day lol. But seriously interested in work day/ weekend!

Agree with this ^^^^^^

I spoke to Tom today and it sounds like he just found someone to lead the maintenance out there. I'm not sure if he will want to do a workday but I would still be willing to add in some additional work force for a weekend. Let's see how this evolved into spring. So much has happened in just the span of a few weeks.

Agree with this ^^^^^^

If you have a complex with 6 courses and multiple buildings, every day is a work day.

If you have a complex with 6 courses and multiple buildings, every day is a work day.

Accurate!

They also probably don't want random dudes running around doing "maintenance" on random things and having it all organized is a HUGE thing that's important for everyone and everything. I think the takeaway here is there sounds like a ton of people willing to help, it's just a matter of accepting the help and getting something organized for this help to stop by and get things done right.
If no help is needed that would be insane, but also very possible if they're already ahead of the game organized and already have an army built up ready to go. I also realize this just happened so I don't expect any answers on this, just wanted to get the word out that I'm one who is willing to help (if I can since I no longer live in WI) and worst case know multiple people in WI who would help and can spread the word.

I'm certainly watching what's happening with guarded enthusiasm. There's, obviously, a huge perception problem with HH to get over. However, the times I have been there, I loved the golf and had a great time with friends. The staff were always the sketchiest part of the complex. The first time we visited, we nearly packed up an left on day 1, because of how we were addressed by a "volunteer". Glad we stuck it out, but if HH is run well, I'm sure I'll be back at least on a yearly basis.

May I ask. Who was the volunteer?

Latest posts