• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills II - Resurrection

Don't remember ever hearing "padded" and "OB" in the same sentence. :\
Consider that players throwing 1000 rated rounds at Eureka averaged about 58 actual throws plus 6 strokes of OB boosting their total score versus players on HB Gold actually making 64 throws with maybe 0.2 penalty boost (no UDisc data but also minimal OB) in their 1000 rated round. Peppering a typically temp course with OB design elements with 1 and up to 2-throw equivalent penalties has become a popular way to boost scoring and SSA on tour courses without actually increasing the number of throws required. Thus, the term "penalty padding."

Scores went up sometime last night.

I played BB on Monday morning and it was amazing. I like the the new flow with a few holes that got changed up. I will miss old hole 8 though.

I played it Monday as well, fantastic weather and a really fantastic course. If blueberry were used instead of Woodlands it could have been a sort of remake of 2007 worlds. The one new hole I think is an excellent addition.

Blueberry has some additional changes underway with three new holes being developed. The first half of old 8 will be reversed and descend into a large previously unused area with par 4 and par 5 pin placements like old 8. Looking at combining 18 tee to 1 basket as new 18. Sounds like signature hole 2 may become Hole 1 in the new flow.

Don't remember ever hearing "padded" and "OB" in the same sentence. :\

Consider that players throwing 1000 rated rounds at Eureka averaged about 58 actual throws plus 6 strokes of OB boosting their total score versus players on HB Gold actually making 64 throws with maybe 0.2 penalty boost (no UDisc data but also minimal OB) in their 1000 rated round. Peppering a typically temp course with OB design elements with 1 and up to 2-throw equivalent penalties has become a popular way to boost scoring and SSA on tour courses without actually increasing the number of throws required. Thus, the term "penalty padding."

Thanks for the clarification.
I understand the concept, it just struck me as a jarring juxtaposition.
Knowing I may be in the minority, I actually enjoy watching championship-level DG on a course like temp Eureka and Winthrop Gold and Memorial.

Here's the way I look at it (admittedly simplistic):
Woods disc golf, (like Northwoods, Maple Hill) means you have to worry most about the flight (trees, hanging branches, open lines).
Park disc golf, (like Temp Eureka, Winthrop Gold, Fountain Hills) means you have to worry most about the landing (wind, OB ropes, water, pavement).

Again, very simplistic, but generally true.
Personally, I enjoy the thought process that it takes to play each course in the way it demands.
Enjoy watching it and playing it.
I'm one of those people that enjoys playing park golf and woods golf.
They each have their place and I enjoy both, and maybe a slight nod to Park disc golf.

Pardon the thread drift.
I am excited for the resurrection of HH and hope to play those courses someday.

Last edited:
I had a ton of fun playing the HHO and camping with a bunch of friends. It was awesome to see that many people there and the place is looking great.

Players meeting:
572926d1ec925a67c0baa25a1dbb4c65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification.
I understand the concept, it just struck me as a jarring juxtaposition.
Knowing I may be in the minority, I actually enjoy watching championship-level DG on a course like temp Eureka and Winthrop Gold and Memorial.

Here's the way I look at it (admittedly simplistic):
Woods disc golf, (like Northwoods, Maple Hill) means you have to worry most about the flight (trees, hanging branches, open lines).
Park disc golf, (like Temp Eureka, Winthrop Gold, Fountain Hills) means you have to worry most about the landing (wind, OB ropes, water, pavement).

When I was getting into this sport 17 years ago, it was the FLIGHT of the discs that intrigued myself the most and was also the most gratifying. Now I do believe the ability to land your disc onto every surface is another wrinkle/skillset that is important but nothing tops the flight of the disc.

Being able to make a disc fly 300 feet straight and then get a late turn just when needed is a thing of beauty. Forcing a flexshot to perfectly snake through a tight fairway without touching a thing, again is marvelous. I could go on and on...

I'm planning on coming back Oct 3-5, with dreams of playing Bear. And I always wanted to go up there during fall colors.
It should be in excellent shape by then. All the baskets are out now and all 18 should be either mowed, brush hogged or weed whipped by tonight. We're gonna try to play all 18 this evening.

It should be in excellent shape by then. All the baskets are out now and all 18 should be either mowed, brush hogged or weed whipped by tonight. We're gonna try to play all 18 this evening.

I assume Bear still has those crummy bright green homemade baskets? (*crosses fingers that he is wrong*)

Other random question I had from HBHO: how many Disc Kings did they buy? I counted at least...idk, 6? There were a couple on Gold, and at least 1 more on the road by woodlands, and one down by Chestnut.

I was hoping perhaps a whole set was bought....for Bear.

As long as we're on the subject of Bear....will it need any updates or changes ala Gold and Blueberry due to land disputes? Maybe that hole (10? 11?) with the "L" tee? That one's gotta get close to the property line...

Bear I believe now has the orange baskets that were removed from Woodlands when Northern Lights donated the red Chainstar Pros for the event.

Aren't those the original Bear baskets? Pretty sure Abby swapped them with Woodland Greens' because she never played Bear. It was one of the first things I noticed last time I was there, because I always loved how the names and the baskets used to match.

Aren't those the original Bear baskets? Pretty sure Abby swapped them with Woodland Greens' because she never played Bear. It was one of the first things I noticed last time I was there, because I always loved how the names and the baskets used to match.
Those "Hunter Gold" baskets started on the Gold course around 2005. When we got the sponsorship from Innova for Pro Worlds, their yellow band baskets went on the Gold course in 2007 and the orange ones moved to the combo course called Woodland Bear for Worlds (Bear holes 1-7 and Woodland 8 thru 18). Then, the orange ones probably all moved to Bear once it was completed and perhaps were there until the recent upheaval in the past few years.

I'm pretty sure that there are not 18 of the orange (hunter gold!) baskets - not all were acquired back from JJ. The Discking baskets were brought over from MM's UP course and there were only 5-6 of them. There are a few other 1-2 each baskets around including DB5, Mach 3, green homemade. If we keep open eyes and are lucky, maybe we can get those blue baskets that JJ kept back from him some day!

Me and a buddy played 1-9 yesterday (they were still finishing mowing on some of the back 9). There's a few Disc Kings, an Innova Disccatcher Sport, 2 or 3 orange Mach III's anr one of those miserable green ones.

The course is in heavenly shape. The beauty. and uniqueness of that course shines now, brighter than ever. It is soooooo difficult yet sooooo beautiful. The fairways snake away up and down and wind through, over, and around the hills like no other course I have ever played.

I am beyond thrilled that this course is open and I'll be back to play the entire thing next week. Finished +6 for course par too (for the front 9) and that is great in my books :p

Attachments

• 0822191540.jpg
    0822191540.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 63
Me and a buddy played 1-9 yesterday (they were still finishing mowing on some of the back 9). There's a few Disc Kings, an Innova Disccatcher Sport, 2 or 3 orange Mach III's anr one of those miserable green ones.

The course is in heavenly shape. The beauty. and uniqueness of that course shines now, brighter than ever. It is soooooo difficult yet sooooo beautiful. The fairways snake away up and down and wind through, over, and around the hills like no other course I have ever played.

I am beyond thrilled that this course is open and I'll be back to play the entire thing next week. Finished +6 for course par too (for the front 9) and that is great in my books :p
Tom and Brandon finished mowing yesterday afternoon, Bear is officially open for play.

Latest posts