• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did your official ratings change from your 'unofficial' ratings?

freezermink

Par Member
at the risk of getting prerubed immediately, i hadn't found too much info on this specific question...

I recently played my first tournament, playing in the rec division, and did much better than usual (average 902 rating), which was awesome.

however, my rating, unofficially, is now just a few points over the division line into intermediate, and i'm getting ready to sign up for the bowling green tourney in april. I'm now realizing that i should sign up for the intermediate division. Looking at an average of my normal rounds around the area compared to rounds played at that course over the last 2 years, i'm a typical rec player (850ish). I don't mind playing intermediate, if that's where my skill level puts me, but i'm admittedly not quite there yet.

My question is this: what have you guys experienced as far as changes from your unofficial ratings to the official ratings when they post?

btw: thanks to cgkdisc for the info he gave me earlier. still trying to understand this ratings system fully.

Last edited:
There really is no standard for this. Sometimes the unofficial ratings are high, sometimes they're low, sometimes they're dead on. No way to really know until the numbers are crunched. All the anecdotal evidence in the world on a thread like this won't be the least bit useful in predicting what will happen to your rating.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and sign up in Rec. If your rating comes out over 900, you'll have more than two weeks after the update to alert the BG folks and change divisions. Only reason I can think of to be proactive and sign up for Intermediate immediately is if they're doing any kind of limits based on division. Like if you signed up in Rec, then had to move up, is there a chance that Intermediate would be full and you'd get stuck on a waitlist. If that's not a concern, then I wouldn't worry about it until the ratings come out.

Besides, there's always a chance that your tournament, for whatever reason, doesn't get into the March 26 update (first update of 2013). If that's the case, you won't have a rating before BG and you'll be good to go in whichever division you choose. No reason to lock yourself into Int when you don't have to, especially if you honestly don't feel you belong there yet.

Chuck will drop your rating for $20 per point.

i'll paypal some over to him right now. ha.

thanks for the help guys.

i understand its tough to guess; i was just wondering what everyone had experienced. there is a small sanctioned tourney this weekend that i could play and try to get a better average of my rating, but apparently it isn't uncommon for this particular TD to take their time reporting the scores, so i don't think it would do much good.

i'll have to give the bowling green TD a shout out to see what they think about the numbers for the tournament to see if i run the risk of getting bumped out if i have to switch. I planned on signing up for rec in the first place but it'll be good to know what options i have.

If I actually got paid that amount for those ratings adjustments, I'd have retired a few years ago. ;)

This is extremely common for the Ams. If rec is the division you would prefer to play, go ahead and sign up for it. You should have no problem switching up to intermediate should you need/want to

This is extremely common for the Ams. If rec is the division you would prefer to play, go ahead and sign up for it. You should have no problem switching up to intermediate should you need/want to

sweet. thanks man. i think that's what i'll do and see how it goes from there. hopefully i'll shoot so damn good at BG that i won't have a choice but to shoot intermediate from then on!

sweet. thanks man. i think that's what i'll do and see how it goes from there. hopefully i'll shoot so damn good at BG that i won't have a choice but to shoot intermediate from then on!

If you sign up for Rec, and when the final rating update prior to the BG Ams is showing you in INT, it will auto put you into INT. It was stated in the BG AMs thread in the tournament forum. If you sign up for INT, even if your rating is below INT, it will have you in INT. SO if you want to play Rec if possible, def sign up for rec.

I've never seen official ratings lower than the unofficial. They usually either go up or stay the same when the official comes out, in my experience.

I've never seen official ratings lower than the unofficial. They usually either go up or stay the same when the official comes out, in my experience.

i've been told by a few that it goes both ways, but i wouldn't doubt that the unofficial ratings will be pretty accurate.

Mine have gone down on several occasions.

I wouldn't be surprised if this particular tournament's ratings go down once they become official, because I certainly did not feel I shot what the unofficial ratings said I did (I played the same tourney as the OP). Then again, ratings are generated based on the performance of other players in the field so who knows. Maybe everyone was rusty. It is off-season, after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if this particular tournament's ratings go down once they become official, because I certainly did not feel I shot what the unofficial ratings said I did (I played the same tourney as the OP). Then again, ratings are generated based on the performance of other players in the field so who knows. Maybe everyone was rusty. It is off-season, after all.

well i'm glad you said that. i feel like i shot well, but i was surprised by the ratings that showed up. i'd love to think that i'm a solid intermediate player, but i know that's not the case.... yet.

I've seen them drop significantly on occasion because the TD forgot to stipulate when the initial ratings were uploaded that the lower divisions played on an easier layout.

Haha I didn't say they would go down, I just said if they did I wouldn't be surprised ;)

scarpfish - in this case all divisions played the same layout both rounds.

Haha I didn't say they would go down, I just said if they did I wouldn't be surprised ;)

not so much ratings-wise, i just meant i was glad to hear that it sounded like the ratings were a bit higher (at least for someone) than they expected. however, as long as the rating reflects my skill level i'm cool with it.

Latest posts