• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you get 500+ throws??????

Wich disc is best for flat distance speed drives around 300-500ft ?

• Total voters

SearchingForDistance

Birdie Member
I am 16 and have been playing for 5.5 years but my longest throws only dies within the 450-500.I have started to use a 360 turnaround when going for maximum distance but i am still working on it.

That must be really tough for you to only consistently get 450 feet. You're really tugging on my heartstrings. Why, may I ask, do you have a need to throw over 500 feet consistently? That would shave off what, 1 stroke a round?

All kidding aside, I think you're on the right track with the 360 degree turnaround, but I'm not really qualified to give you advice.

That's interesting that Sweden uses feet to measure instead of meters...Anyway
First of if you are throwing over 450 consistently you don't need to focus on 500+ most people would love to get 400.
secondly disc distance is basically physics, which you should be learning about in high school soon. You have a few years of growth still, as you grow, your arms will get longer and naturally increase your distance. Force X Distance, you will be able to put force on the disc for longer. Plus you arm being longer and you being taller will increase the lever arm action and height of release.
so basically all you have to do is...get an A in physics and keep growing up :)

Man you have been playing 5.5 years and you're 16...pretty freaking cool. Killer distance man, what are you throwing that far?

Wow! Started my son on it at 8 years old this year and I could only hope he is throwing that far at 16. He'd be kicking my ass.

Only people I have seen that throw 500+ feet regularly on flat ground are at those distance competitions. I dont know if it is all that usefull on a course, but they can really bomb them out.

My tip, if you want to do it just to do it; throw from a tall hill.

That is great if you can throw that far already.

My tip would be to quit spending effort trying to throw a few feet farther and spend all that time working on putting and approaches. Most couses you are not even going to get to try to throw that far so you are pretty much wasting time that you could be really improving your game.

What would help your score more? Throwing 20-30ft farther or making 2-3 more putts and sticking your approaches during a round.

I think the better question is how do you get away with asking that question without getting beat up from the rest of us. I'm happy that I can break 300' let alone 400'. Sounds like you need to watch some 360 techniques on youtube with the long distance throwers and then just make your way out to an open field. You may not get much advice however since you probably throw further than 98% of users on this site.

Perhaps we're assuming that he's trying for 500' to improve his game---and assuming wrong. For all we know he's working hard on his accuracy and midranges and putting, and seeking that extra distance is a separate issue---for distance competitions, or dreams of a future world record, or just for the joy of watching a disc sail out of sight. I'd guess that the fact that he's using 360s is an indication of just this; I'd be surprised if he does it off the tee.

I'm the last person to advise on distance---my drives are short enough I can still read the disc model---but the advice about continuing to grow will no doubt pan out.

While we're at it, can anyone tell me how to get beautiful nude women with handfuls of cash to stop knocking at my door. It's getting a little ridiculous.

While we're at it, can anyone tell me how to get beautiful nude women with handfuls of cash to stop knocking at my door. It's getting a little ridiculous.

Send her to my door! I already have one and could use another.

I'm a power thrower as well so I understand your quest to maximize distance. Here in AZ, we make up for a lack of trees with big D. I don't use the 360 technique because of the loss in acuracy and I have trouble with the footwork. With a golf throw I consistently hit between 475' and 500'.

The biggest thing that has helped me is concentrating on the footwork in an attempt to maximize your reachback. The Scott Stokely videos (the first one, I think) touch on this a bit, so I would recommend checking them out. When executing my X-step, I will actually turn my right foot so that it is pointing backwards so that I am able to get my shoulders further back, and therefore have more room for the pull-through. I usually throw either a Star Boss or Star Destroyer flat and high (peaks about 30' - 40' high) and to the left of my target. The disc time will turn-over to the right and begin decending down. By the time it has gotten roughly 10' off the ground it will be hyzering out and completing the flight.

Hope that helps a little.

Hope that helps a little

That is great if you can throw that far already.

My tip would be to quit spending effort trying to throw a few feet farther and spend all that time working on putting and approaches. Most couses you are not even going to get to try to throw that far so you are pretty much wasting time that you could be really improving your game.

What would help your score more? Throwing 20-30ft farther or making 2-3 more putts and sticking your approaches during a round.

Unless of course you are playing Milo McIver in Estacada, Oregon. If you can throw that far though you should be on the pro circuit giving the pros a run for thier money.

Maybe you are already though...:D

Video tape yourself and post it for analysis and critique. Make sure to put some slow motion and different angles.

He did sidewinder, check out his other post in the how far can you throw a midrange/putter thread.

I'm really surprised someone hasn't said to throw off a hill

throw from an airplane! Distance means nothing I am convinced.....I just had one of my worst driving days but made solid approaches and sunk long putts for me.....I ended up tying my personal best at Jordan....However I can't lie when I go to a field to throw I also wish I could throw the big sexy 500 footer as well!

I'm really surprised someone hasn't said to throw off a hill

I did on post #5

Wow! Started my son on it at 8 years old this year and I could only hope he is throwing that far at 16. He'd be kicking my ass.

Only people I have seen that throw 500+ feet regularly on flat ground are at those distance competitions. I dont know if it is all that usefull on a course, but they can really bomb them out.

My tip, if you want to do it just to do it; throw from a tall hill.

Latest posts