• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you react to a bad shot?

When it is an obvious mess up on my part then I get a little mad. As long as I make the right choice of disc and throw, if it doesn't work out just they way I wanted it to then I don't get too upset. If after I make the shot and quickly realized I should have done something totally different, then I know I wasn't using my mind in the first attempt.

A poor craftsman always blames his tools. Not to sound cheesy but i try to learn from every shot i make.

Hey now, why you gotta bring me up;)

TFF!!! Reminds me of the expression "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian".

I was heading out the door one day to play, and my wife asks me, "Why do you play disc golf anyway? You can stay home and cuss."

Reminds me of my ball golf days... My ex once asked the following:

"If you love golf so much, why do you come home so pissed off?"

I've actually broken clubs on the tee like Kevin Costner in "Tin Cup". I've even thrown clubs into the nearest body of water.

Yesterday, I hit a tree about 20 feet in front of the tee. My disc went right and left me about a 200 foot approach from the edge of the schule. I stood with my back to the basket and my left foot behind my marker. I threw an anhyzer that stopped about 6 feet from the basket.

Bad shots are how you learn recovery.

I do worse when I'm doing really good, if that makes sense. Bad shots often 'wake me up', and I start playing better, but drop a deuce on that hole that I usually throw +1, and I get cocky and it fouls up my game. I have to be really careful about the "bowler's curse". You know, the old "1 more strike, and you've bowled a perfect 300 buddy!"

Yup. You gotta forget both the bad and good shots. Your last shot is history. A telltale sign that you're losing focus is if you're thinking about what your score "could" be.

i don't get mad often

only got really mad enough to curse out of anger a few times

the one thing i do is i need to stop turning my back to badly thrown releases!!!

I get pissed. I cuss quite a bit. I don't cuss elsewhere in life (or rarely do) and this is my one vice so get off me! ;) I am getting better and have it pretty well under control since I frequent tournaments. In the past I have thrown my chair and screamed at myself.

thanks for advice

Im training for a tourney and I just want to keep my score as minimal as possible, thats why im so hard on myself. I just noticed how i over react to one bad shot then it goes on to the next hole. 3rd hole I just forget about it and almost ace. in the end I realize how I should just appreciate that im playing my fav hobby. I want to give good sportsmanship when i ff up, and say in tourney they do good. going to go play og today and not letting my bad shots if I do effect me.:thmbup:

when i have a bad shot i grab a huge rock and smash it over my head. actually i just go to where my disc landed and throw it again.

If it has not been mentioned here yet, during sanctioned play, someone could call an ettiquite penalty for cursing/yelling out loud, kicking your bag, throwing a disc, or whatever you do to vent. That is why I don't get riled on the course...

If I am having a horrible day I can get pretty angry and it'll get to me. But only on those days i throw like a 5 or 6 on a hole i normally get like a 2 or 3. But normally I just dont look at where it lands and spend time looking for it.

I know if I've messed up as soon as the disc leaves my hand. I usually turn around and facepalm but make sure I spin back around to watch where the disc goes incase I lose it. :p

I know if I've messed up as soon as the disc leaves my hand. I usually turn around and facepalm but make sure I spin back around to watch where the disc goes incase I lose it. :p

^^^ This is key. I have lost a few discs when I turned around in disgust at my shot and then realized "I don't know where it landed". On wide open courses you're usually OK, but wooded or with undergrowth you'd better watch it.

Usually if I'm with people I'll just say "nice" because I see people freak over bad shots and people tend to make fun of them for their excuses or outbursts.

When I get mad I play worse, so I try to keep my cool. If I shoot a bad round, I'll play another and try harder that time.

If I'm with anybody else, I act like I meant to do that. If I'm solo, I just take my mulligan (however many is needed per round), and forget about it.:)