• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you view your Disc Golfing habit?

Which way do you tend to treat your game?

• Total voters
I tend to take all of my hobbys very seriously when I start investing time into it. Disc golf has been the same thing for me, I have only been playing for 10 months now but am constently trying to get better.

I will play a few more advanced tourneys just to add to the disc piles, and try to get an advanced 1st place but I see myself moving to open with in a few months. I think that it moves past just recreational when you make the choice to move to Open.

My biggest drawback is that I have a fulltime job and family and cant take it as serioulsy as I would like, however I do try and get 3 rounds in a week and some putting practice in the backyard.

As a gangly goofy white kid, I was never good at sports. This sport is no different even though I am an adult now. I just love to play it no matter how bad I may be. I have gotten better just by playing 2-3 times a week. Maybe one day i'll be able to move up from rec!

I was competitive from my very first round.....but I started playing against my brothers, so how could I avoid it?

Almost exactly your description of a recreational player. I have too many other things to do to take disc golf that seriously.

Cross of both. Its a recreational activity for me that I seem to obsess over improving and trying to master it even if I dont intend to compete.

Actually kind of concerned about trying the competing part because then I would obsess over that and it would take the fun out of it.

I think of DG as more of a sport. (rather than a pasttime, or hobby) I make DG as athletic as possible. I've been an athlete my whole life, so i try to critique every shot i make and be competitive against myself. I dont always keep score though. My playing is more against myself than anything else. Even if I'm playing with others.

I love how the responses are phrased as a question, like you're unsure of your answer.

More as a recreation?
As a serious game you want to master?

I definitely consider it a recreational sport. I do take it somewhat seriously and am seriously trying to better myself everytime I play. I do play in tourneys on occasion, but that just for fun. I know I'm not gonna win so I consider my entry fees as "charity". Too bad I cant claim it as that on my taxes!!

i view it as therapy.

it centers me. havent killed anyone yet, and i thank dg for that.:\

That's pretty close (although not exactly) how I feel about it. I play for fun, exercise and comraderie. Shooting somewhat well every once in a while is just a bonus. :)

Doesn't mean I don't want to get better, I just don't need to get better.

There should be an option to select both!

I agree here! I play because Its just a great way to spend some time outside and better yourself in some measurable way in your free time. I play for fun, but its fun enough that I play almost every day (Im in college so I have the time :D) but its fun to be able to track how much you progress (or regress for that matter.) I cant imagine ever 'practicing,' if im going to go out and play some dg im going to get a round or 2 in. Whether it be by myself or with a group, its always fun for me.

Have yet to enter a tourney simply because I'm WAY to competitive by nature and I think that a tourney would make dg be just another sport to me. I like to keep it separate and a pass time. (Even if I arrogantly think I would torch half of a tourney's field ;))

I consider myself a serious recreational player. I read about technique, and am always trying to get better, though my field practice is pretty limited. I travel a lot to play new courses, and play in several tournaments a year.

I take the laid back approach.

I do try to improve my game by working on my putting for about 10 to 20 mins before going to the first hole. Other then that I may try to launch a few in the field to see how far I am throwing.

IT'S NOT FRISBEE GOLF D%!#$T ! Ha ha yeah I know a few. The funny thing is the ones I know are not even better then me at the game. I feel people can call it whatever they want. Kind of like where I used to work. We worked on bulk boxes and called it corrugated boxes not card board like the general population calls it. My theory on this is simple. If 95% of the population is calling it one thing and 5% calling it another. What makes the 5% calling it corrugated right. The same is true about disc golf -vs- frisbee golf. If you would grab 100 random people. I am sure most would call it frisbee golf.

most people call it disc golf...so that whole 95% vs. 5% deal you just tried to explain doesnt work out.

if we want the sport to be taken seriously by the general public we can't have multiple different names for ONE sport. and heres my main point...if in the beginning of professional dg it was called "frisbee golf", I would be calling it frisbee golf. But it has been officially established as DISC GOLF, so why not just stay with the established name?

I think of DG as more of a sport. (rather than a pasttime, or hobby) I make DG as athletic as possible. I've been an athlete my whole life, so i try to critique every shot i make and be competitive against myself. I dont always keep score though. My playing is more against myself than anything else. Even if I'm playing with others.

:thmbup:

As a husband, father, and teacher, I spend most of my time dedicated to those three things along with working out regularly. However, I spend a lot of time putting and traveling to new courses (especially in the winter, spring break, and winter break). I play competatively, but only play casually once a week at best. I know I would be A LOT BETTER if I had dg as my first priority but feel being rated what I am (939 -advanced) for how often I play compared to others is pretty amazing.

Last edited:
I used to take it very serious, and I tried to hit as many tournaments as I could. Now days, I just play to relax, and I have almost as much fun at the practice field as I do playing. As long as I am throwing a disc, it really doesn't matter to me where I am. Its a great stress reliever. Now days I just play when I can. If I get to play great, if not, no big deal. I enjoy the sport, but its not my life.

most people call it disc golf...so that whole 95% vs. 5% deal you just tried to explain doesnt work out.

if we want the sport to be taken seriously by the general public we can't have multiple different names for ONE sport. and heres my main point...if in the beginning of professional dg it was called "frisbee golf", I would be calling it frisbee golf. But it has been officially established as DISC GOLF, so why not just stay with the established name?

In the beginning it was called frisbee golf. I think that the vast majority of the non-playing population, and a significant portion of casual players (remember, people who post here or play leagues etc. aren't representative of the general playing population) refer to it that way.

I play by the rules and compete occasionally, but for the most part, I like to crack a beer and sling some plastic.