• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you view your Disc Golfing habit?

Which way do you tend to treat your game?

• Total voters
How about "serious recreation"?

I'm not as harcore as some when it comes to putting in hours of practice or playing in tournaments. But when I do play, I like to have respect for the sport, and expect those I play with to do the same.

I'm competitive with myself and often get duly frustrated with myself when playing. I do not compete much in tournaments any more, but I used to. I play mainly by myself these days, but I follow the rules and keep track of my score (unless exploring a new course for the first time).

I turn off that competitive/frustrated mode a few seconds after the disc lands after each throw and enjoy the recreation of a walk in the park.....the more beautiful and secluded the park, the better my recreation.

Both of these are a great release and distraction from real life for me......so I would have voted recreation twice if I could have.

And, I can seriously beat most of those who voted "serious". :D

Rec. though I like to play in tournaments, but more for the social aspect of it than the competitive.

I am beginning my carrer as a disc golf champion! (Hopefully!) I like to unwind by playing an i would like to master it.

It's an addiction that I enjoy to relax with. I play tourneys but I also just play for fun. It's complicated.

I'm very competitive and have every intention on one day being a 1000+ rated player. I try to not let myself get overcome mentally by a tough round with my best success in that aspect being my last round at the memorial where I played poorly but had a fun time, and tried to keep smiling despite my poor play.

I look at it as a cheap, healthy recreational activity. I have no illusion that I will ever be a world-class player. For me it's about the fun and the outdoors.

I play for exercise, relaxation, and camaraderie. We do get somewhat serious and competitive, usually lunch is on the line for doubles. I also work on my game some but overall I'm out there to have a good time and have a couple of beers with my friends.

I'm a recreational golfer playing leagues on occasion and trying to make 4 tourneys/year; Ice Bowl, The Moffitt Show, Discraft's Ace Race, and PYMWYMI. :D

I would say I fit in the "Obsessed" category from day 1 about 9 months ago.

Although it is trendier to label yourself apathetic, I think joining this site and reading the forums shows a certain level of seriousness.

I'm kind of in the middle. I take it seriously but I try not to take it too seriously. I get mad if I miss an easy putt, but I'm usually over it by the next tee.

I would say I fit in the "Obsessed" category from day 1 about 9 months ago.

Although it is trendier to label yourself apathetic, I think joining this site and reading the forums shows a certain level of seriousness.

I'd never claim to not be obsessed with disc golf.

I'm obsessed with playing, obsessed with buying new discs, obsessed with exploring new courses, obsessed with taking pictures of new courses, obsessed with meeting other players, obsessed with talking about disc golf...

No one that isn't obsessed with it will get up at 3:00 am and drive more than 200 miles to be standing on the the first tee of a new course, waiting for the sun to come up enough to see to begin playing. :D

I'd accuse everyone on this forum of being obsessed at some level.

My apathy is to applying any effort to getting better at the game.

When I miss a 5 foot putt, I think it's hilarious. It's not frustrating. I don't get mad or upset. I hit 25 footers regularly and it's ok with me if I duff one occasionally. Even in a tournament, I feel the same way.

It doesn't make me want to... practice :gross:

It's interesting to see where in the unlimited shades of grey between the two extremes we put ourselves. How our differing approaches to the game are nuanced. What aspects we take more seriously than others.

What Disc Golf is to me changes depending on whether I'm home or away for work.

When I'm in Oklahoma, it's all about finding courses I haven't seen before. From every little crappy mudhole with a couple bent and rusty baskets to venues with beautiful vistas and challenging terrain that leave you physically spent, hands litterally shaking from exhaustion, and courses so demanding of your game as to inspire feelings of awe.

When I'm at home, it's a way for me to get outside, get some excercise. Time I can spend with my kids, or on occasion, a walk in the woods with my wife.

I'm obsessed allright. This game has me by the balls.

It's recreation for me. I really like playing this game, but I never want to "work" on my game beyond putting in the back yard (for fun, because I feel like it). Of course I want to play better, it's more fun to play better. The main focus is to have fun and get in some exercise. Disc golf is the perfect exercise for a man in his 50's. You have to walk, twist, climb, bend over and smile a lot. I can't think of a better activity to fill my time. My mid week rounds by myself are meditative.

The competition is just an excuse to hang out with friends.

More recreation for me. Once in a while, I will do some field practice...but certainly not on a regular basis.

I love the outdoors, always have. Since I discovered this great game, I firmly believe there is no better way to spend time outside than huckin plastic discs at metal baskets. :clap:

Some day when I have enough money, I'm going to buy an RV and play as many courses as possible.

Its gone from recreation to a full addiction for me. I started playing about 4 years ago just for fun and now I working to get into my tournaments in my area to better my game and move up in the ratings.

Disc Golf has so many upsides for me that even my wife doesn't complain.
1. Excercise
2. Good friends to hang out with
3. I don't spend money on expensive hobbies
4. I get to hang out with my kids
5. I stay in a good mood when I play well and often