• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far should you throw a mid?

EMac Truths go far, I bet McCabe can put them 375-400' without much trouble. I definitely disagree. If you throw mids 250' then you need to go up a disc class or two to get 300', as you said...going to something with more turn may net like 10-15' if the EMacs are too stable. But if you want to throw mids 300' it will take a bit of form work, but it's definitely doable. I think that mids generally want to be in that 280-300' range with decent form, it's a pretty typical range lots of players expect out of their mids. But that being said it usually takes some form checking, but it's really not that bad to get them 280'+ if you are willing to make a few adjustments.

Throwing a disc the same way for weeks will just ingrain muscle memory, you have to actively make adjustments and figure out what to change in order to get a distance change.

Sure, any pro player is going to throw their mid over 300 feet. I'm not sure how relevant that is to the average player though. Sure 280 is doable, and I've probably done it myself, but not with my (non-emac) truth, but with my evidence or something like that I get more distance because it turns a little more before fading. I haven't actually thrown an emac truth though, so maybe they are actually less stable and glidier than the normal truth's, in which case I'd agree with you.

In any case, I'd argue that the average player isn't throwing their drivers more than 350, in which case, 250 from a mid really isn't too bad. And I'm guessing you'll come back and say that if you only throw drivers 350 you should just used mids for everything, and then I'm just going to laugh.

How far should you throw a mid?
to-da-moon-alice.jpg

Sure, any pro player is going to throw their mid over 300 feet. I'm not sure how relevant that is to the average player though. Sure 280 is doable, and I've probably done it myself, but not with my (non-emac) truth, but with my evidence or something like that I get more distance because it turns a little more before fading. I haven't actually thrown an emac truth though, so maybe they are actually less stable and glidier than the normal truth's, in which case I'd agree with you.

In any case, I'd argue that the average player isn't throwing their drivers more than 350, in which case, 250 from a mid really isn't too bad. And I'm guessing you'll come back and say that if you only throw drivers 350 you should just used mids for everything, and then I'm just going to laugh.

No, I throw mids typically 300-330' and throw drivers in the 400'ish range and am definitely not pro. But yes I do work on my form way more than most so I realize it's not for most people. But it also didn't take much to get mids 280-300' for me.

A 350' driver shot is really good on the course, and I think that it would mean mids should be 280-300' at that range. I definitely understand how at 250' a Truth of any kind may be harder to get distance out of than a less stable mid, but once it is pushed a little faster it will get noticeably more glide. Agreed that it is also because that disc will show some more turn, but a lot of it is that the Truth is a fairly fast mid so when thrown harder it will keep going farther.

But at 250' with mids, if you want to throw them farther then answer is to look at form. It's not about strength or anything, it's really not hard to throw a mid 280-300' when you have a clean release with nose down and good elbow positioning. That being said it doesn't just happen for most people unless you figure it out.

I would argue, that you are probably right most players aren't throwing their drivers more than 350'... but I would also argue most people are closer to max distance with a glidey mid than they think, and their max distance with a mid and a driver are closer than they would think due to form issues like nose angle being a big one.

To return this same line of thinking to this thread, a couple years ago when I started trying to work on form and throw correctly there were a few of the big bomber holes that it was kinda normal to empty a whole bag on. Most chuckers like I was at that time were throwing every high speed disc they had. I was throwing EVERY disc. I discovered then and then repeated it in the field and found my speed 7 discs were consistently the longest throwers. Occasionally I could get something like a Katana out another 30' or so, but generally a beat up Eagle or River had the most distance throw after throw, even more than a Valkrie which is one of those newbie friendly max distance discs right?

I personally, going through this same process, would echo everything that has been said in this thread about a fairway driver good to show nose angle issues. I really don't see any reason to take the fun out of something like a Teebird, River, Eagle, Leopard3, Escape, Zombee out of a bag for playing rounds. Throw your mids and putters in the field, judge your distance and progression with mids and putters but in my opinion speed 7 discs are magical for playing for fun.

Answer to the original question: at least a million! Units of your choosing. But I see some other jokers made it way before I did.

I agree with aim and slowplastic, and there are a lot of good answers above. I'm confused about some of the nose angle comments. I can think of very few situations in disc golf where a nose up throw is desirable (i.e. stall shots or floaty putts/approaches). Overall, frisbees of all kinds are meant to be thrown neutal to nose down, from ultimate lids to putters to warp speeds. This includes putter or driver max distance shots, where you give the disc some height but need to keep nose down with respect to initial trajectory.

I can throw a mid up to 400, but that doesn't mean I use them for 400ft shots. The longest hole I'll use a mid for will be 350' or so. The mid's I carry on the course will be some combination of: MVP Vector, Emac Truth, Roc3, MVP Axis, Mako 3, MD4 and/oror Lat 64 Anchor. Most of the time though I'll use it for 220-300' range. At 350', I'll typically go with a fairway because it requires less effort for the distance.

Honestly, for most holes up to 250' I throw putters. Westsde Harp, Axiom Envy, Gateway Wizard or XT Nova are what I carry for these shots.

Latest posts