• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How hard is it for you to get your group to do something different?

Keller

* Ace Member *
I play lots of weird things by myself;
Putter only rounds
Condor rounds
Starter pack challenge
Three disc rounds
Etc. . . .
And I think they're fun and actually eye opening but, trying to get the guys I play with on a regular basis to do it and it's like pulling teeth.

They all thought the CCDG starter pack videos were cool, but can't get them to do it.

Do any of you have the same problem?

Seems like everybody is so damn serious all the time, lugging around there 30 discs. Does anybody just so stuff for the fun of it anymore?

i get ridiculed for having a ton of aces but i play recreationally and run everything cuz its moar fun

im a fan of putter only or one putter and one driver rounds

ppl around here are pretty open to the ideas but i suppose i cherry picked who i play with that arent the 30 disc zuca rollers with their 5-10 mods and almost hit the time limit everytime to line up their 15 footer putt

I think the long time running of our Mulligan Stew event every Spring has lead to Mulligan leagues becoming popular.

I play lots of weird things by myself;
Putter only rounds
Condor rounds
Starter pack challenge
Three disc rounds
Etc. . . .
And I think they're fun and actually eye opening but, trying to get the guys I play with on a regular basis to do it and it's like pulling teeth.

They all thought the CCDG starter pack videos were cool, but can't get them to do it.

Do any of you have the same problem?

Seems like everybody is so damn serious all the time, lugging around there 30 discs. Does anybody just so stuff for the fun of it anymore?

I play with one or two discs a lot. Sidearm vs backhand, all rollers, three or four concurrent one disc rounds (this week I played Spirit vs. Roc vs. Putt'r vs. Inertia). The last time I was near Cincinnati I stopped at Mt. Airy with the intention of starting with only a putter, checking the weeds as I played, and playing with whatever I found. I ended up with a Challenger and five or six high-turn drivers, so that wasn't too fun.

I never make any effort to involve anyone else in these shenanigans.

The people that I play rounds with resist taking any time to work on mechanics in order to become better players.
I have never once been able to convince any of them to practice throwing discs in a field rather than playing a round. Some of them have terrible form, and issues with understanding how their discs fly for them. But, when I suggest just throwing our bags in a field, so that we can work out what is happening, nope.

I do all my fieldwork alone. And, I can outdrive all of them, and more sensibly choose a disc for a given situation.

Last edited:
I couldn't get anyone I normally play with to play after October, much less in the snow, until this past year. Now they don't suck as much this year at least.

I'll play me (RHFH) vs. the wife (RHBH). We're both equally terrible that way which makes it fun. Or snow glow rounds. Bag switch. All that stuff is fun. My wife is the only one who will though.

My friend an I run our local club the "Carolina Crushers" and we have had luck with offering 2 Disc- Team Play with best lie rules. We strive to place the weaker players with the better players to even the teams and it has been really fun. We have not played much this year because of the COVID-19. Our last event was in early March, we also play for club chains. I was really shocked how well the younger kids could actually putt. What they might not offer in drives, might surprise you with putting attempts. My 8 year old Daughter saved me on several dropped putts...LOL. Now she talks trash!

Haha kids are like that... I wish mine would play with me.

Around here the casual rounds can be fun, we have a "lefty" tournament or wrong hand anyways haha I slipped that by once or twice. (LHBH). Played the Ript a few times but it's usually skins or league, the serious players are too serious and the casual players are too casual to care. I'd totally go for a two disc round but it gives me and a couple guys a huge advantage so that doesn't happen.

I mess around a fair bit but I play almost every night for 9 holes... last time I set up my place for league doubles I did a reverse OB, an OB and a mando, I put my rotating basket in play.. There wasn't a whole lot of bitching but they weren't exactly overjoyed.. Kinda like when I move the teepad for a hole on them. More grumbles than cheers.

Haha kids are like that... I wish mine would play with me.

we have a "lefty" tournament or wrong hand

You just gave me a cool idea, the kids are always wanting to play the adults. Kids v.s Adults- adults must play with "wrong hand". Now, I just need this virus to leave and I'm ready!

I feel your pain OP. My crew is too serious about beating each other to bother with having fun.
I do field work (test drives) on my own. Play solo rounds where I work on different throws.

Last fall I suggested a four-disc only round: lid (Super Class), regular size putter, 6" mini & a standard size mini.
No takers. Big surprise.

My group is about 50/50 on doing things out of the ordinary.

I occasionally like to do single disc rounds and only a couple of guys actually enjoy doing it with me. We have played doubles a couple of times and I did once convince everyone to swap bags on hole 18 playing for tags once.

While I'm always down for mixing things up every now and then, I might draw the line at a left hand only round. There's a fine line between challenging ones self and having a horribly frustrating round.

I think the long time running of our Mulligan Stew event every Spring has lead to Mulligan leagues becoming popular.

And what pray tell is "Mulligan Stew" ?

And the more I think about the responses to this thread, like red Envy vs blue Envy etc., it occurs to me that it's very similar and we all have some "fun" on our own. Which is good, we want to play something unfamiliar, we are the middle ground that still balances fun with competition. (or we have no friends).. Kinda like playing catch with a Wham-O by yourself and keeping two separate scores.

Yeah wrong handed rounds are a little rough, after enough injuries that have forced me to play off handed a bunch of times I enjoy it a bit more. I still suck but not as bad. A bunch of times if I fall into a group of kids or ams I won't tell em I'm left handed and just play righty.. So I don't intimidate them and then just bump along.. Until there's a high risk shot and then I will sneak in a lefty boomer and see if they notice.

Last edited:
My group mostly plays "regular," but we have played one-disc rounds and a few birdie bash rounds. We talked last week about a one-disc doubles round where each partner has one disc, but you can't share the disc with your partner.

I started our annual Mulligan Stew event in 1992 which is held around St. Patrick's Day. Players get the option to take just one rethrow (mulligan) on any shot on each hole. No extra cost. However, if you take a mulligan, you mark a dot on your scorecard. Total dots at the end of the round is used as a tiebreaker for ranking. In other words, if two players shot 55, the player who used fewer mulligans is ranked higher.

The BRP course where the annual Mulligan event has been held for the past 10 years or so, started a weekly flex league a few years ago using the mulligan format which has become a popular option for alternative play not just in Minnesota but in other parts of the country. The mulligan option is sometimes called Cali or Oddman in random draw doubles where the odd player without a partner gets one mulligan per hole.

In Cali format, the player can use either their original throw or mulligan throw in the event the mulligan throw was even worse. In strict Mulligan format, the player has to use the mulligan throw even if it is worse than the original.

Almost all the weekly leagues here are random draw doubles. We've looked into other formats, and they almost never get any traction. Rec players aren't interested in playing singles because they don't want to make a donation to the 1000-rated players who show up. Advanced and Open players don't like handicap singles because they can shoot well and still lose money.

One thing that is drawing interest is a potential superclass handicap singles league. I'd play in that one on top of my weekly doubles league

I play with a guy during lunch almost everyday (at least we used to).

To keep the course interesting I implemented "Two for Tuesday", "One Disc Wednesday" and "Forehand Friday".

I like trying new things like that, and luckily he was on board with it.

The people that I play rounds with resist taking any time to work on mechanics in order to become better players.
I have never once been able to convince any of them to practice throwing discs in a field rather than playing a round. Some of them have terrible form, and issues with understanding how their discs fly for them. But, when I suggest just throwing our bags in a field, so that we can work out what is happening, nope.

I do all my fieldwork alone. And, I can outdrive all of them, and more sensibly choose a disc for a given situation.

I've know many players that, if they're throwing a disc, it's at a basket at a course ONLY, and they're is usually some $ on it.

Oh and I almost forgot.. If it's someone's birthday near the Wednesday "night golf" they pick the format... "Heavy metal" is always fun.. Baskets become tones, to cash the ace pot though it still has to go in the basket, but any metal counts, like the pole on a skip up is "in" .

"Heavy metal" is always fun.. Baskets become tones,

That sounds fun!

Whenever someone misses a long putt but hits the basket I say, "At least you hit metal". One guy is notorious for this so I started calling him "Master of Metal".

Heavy Metal rounds coming up for me!

I love new formats, the issue for me is time. My available time to get to the course is extremely limited, so sometimes I fall into the trap of thinking that a "regular" round is the best way to maximize my time. And it may be, but that does limit my willingness to try new formats. Now if I can sneak in some extra unexpected time in the week then new twists are always welcome, but generally I like to play it straight.

Latest posts