• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long did it take you to throw far?

I was out distancing the person who introduced me to the game within a month, and 350' took me another month or two to hit consistently. Was using Firebirds as distance drivers too haha.

Now doing it with control? That took time :)

I need to check your vids, you're, like, a "Natural."

Do you have a speed 15 driver that you carved out of an Oak tree that was split by lightening, by any chance? Maybe carry it in a trombone case?

Just remember that GPS devices will be inaccurate at both the tee pad position and the final throw position, so if you're getting +/- 16ft. on a position, that would be +/- 32ft. for actual throw distance. Football fields are great, as are any other kind of open space with good distance markers (that can be seen and measured using something like Google Earth, which will ultimately be a lot more accurate than a GPS device out in the field).

I need to check your vids, you're, like, a "Natural."

Do you have a speed 15 driver that you carved out of an Oak tree that was split by lightening, by any chance? Maybe carry it in a trombone case?

Hah, just some Quasars, the hipsters Boss. First disc I know for certain I broke 400' with was a Star Teebird. Driving might of come easily but putting sure hasn't. About to go work on that.

I was about to hit about 370 consistently within a year of playing 3-4 rounds nearly every day for 6-7 months (yaay the transition from college to the real world). Now after dropping to playing once or twice every week or two maxing at 320-330. For me it is more of a rhythm thing and I'm just not feeling that same smoothness.

How far should I be able to throw without an x step? Im still trying to get throwing form down before I work that in.

300', immediate, with an UltraStar
330' with a Cobra, (3 months)
330' with a Roc, (6 months)
330' with a PD (9 years later)

I'm doing it wrong.
(PS: I can throw further... downhill, or in gale force winds, or with lucky rolls, but 330' seems to be my maximum, no matter what disc it is. I can throw 330' with any disc, but no further.)

I'm doing it wrong.
(PS: I can throw further... downhill, or in gale force winds, or with lucky rolls, but 330' seems to be my maximum, no matter what disc it is. I can throw 330' with any disc, but no further.)

This. Same here. The longer I play, the more distance I achieve with my slower discs, but I can't seem to break that 325 barrier consistently with anything. I've been beginning to think it just won't happen... but I know there's gotta be something I can do to make my drivers truly long distance compared to everything else... not just a less accurate disc with similar distance.

This. Same here. The longer I play, the more distance I achieve with my slower discs, but I can't seem to break that 325 barrier consistently with anything. I've been beginning to think it just won't happen... but I know there's gotta be something I can do to make my drivers truly long distance compared to everything else... not just a less accurate disc with similar distance.

I seem to be stuck in this bubble as well.

300', immediate, with an UltraStar
330' with a Cobra, (3 months)
330' with a Roc, (6 months)
330' with a PD (9 years later)

I'm doing it wrong.

Put some videos up of your form. A lot of ultimate guys that I've seen have a habit of not utilizing their lower body in their throw. Ultrastars are very sensitive to arm speed, so as an ultimate player you develop great snap but you don't ever learn use the body to generate power in the throw.

How far should I be able to throw without an x step? Im still trying to get throwing form down before I work that in.

I mean, you can always work on getting distance without an x-step. Last year I was throwing over 400 from just a stand still, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't work on an x-step until you throw 400 from a stand still :) Once you figure out the mechanics and are "hitting" your hit point you can start incorporating footwork and figuring out how it all works together.

It's likely a nose angle issue. There are a few common culprits like improper wrist orientation, not getting weight forward, or pulling from high to low, but it's hard to really say what it is without a video.

are you talking just distance or distance with accuracy(hte last one is the one you want to work on. i could throw 500'+ in a field not caring where it lands, but like my other post says 430' at huntington beach DGC hole 16

I'm saying that at 500+ you're as accurate as at 450. Taking into account variables that are dependant on distance. Like left and right misses would be 10/9 times as bad at 500 vs 450. Wind affects the disc for longer, so misjudgement of the wind increases also. Et cetera, ad nausium.

It's likely a nose angle issue. There are a few common culprits like improper wrist orientation, not getting weight forward, or pulling from high to low, but it's hard to really say what it is without a video.

Thanks for the input. I'll try and keep those things in mind next time I'm out. I've been trying to find a camera to put a video up in the critiques section, but it hasn't been as straight forward as I'd hoped. Still, all input is great.

first throw went pretty far i thought i was in the olympics throwing a disc anyway then it went downhill now its much farther now

The question is asked a bit differently among us grandmasters.

"How many years ago could you throw far?"

100 ft - months after I started playing, some time in 2009. (I really sucked at first, and only played sporadically)
200 ft - May 2011
220 ft - August 2011
270 ft - June 2012
300 ft - TODAY!!! I was throwing on a football field, and for the first time I was able to clear 300 ft repeatedly through the air. I need to work on consistency, as I was only able to do it for ~20 minutes, but I can finally say "I'm there!"

Maxed at 300 in 2 years
300 in 3
350 in 4
430 in 5

I expect this to go up about 20 with a little more field practice. I expect around 450 will be max d, but I'd be very satisfied with that. 350 is probably my max controllable distance unless I have a simple line, then around 380-4 if the hole were to allow but that isnt that often.

I was probably at about 200-250 after my first year. Then I started playing in tournaments and doing a ton of field work until I got to 300. By the end of last summer I was around 350. I'm going on my second year now (it might be exactly two years since I picked up a disc actually...) and I can throw out to 400 with my distance drivers consistently. I don't think it is necessarily "far" but I don't really find my distance lacking when it comes to the courses I play. I find it much more beautiful to thread a 250ft shot through the woods.

The big thing for me was realizing that it's better to be smooth not strong. I spent a lot of time in college bowling and the same rule applied there, strong arming and using too much muscle just leads to inconsistency and less power.

100 feet: First time I played
200 feet: 1 month
300 feet: 6 months
350 feet: 12 months
400 feet: 15 months

I can throw farther than 400 but lose all hope at accuracy, I would really like to get up to an accurate 450 by the end of the summer.

Latest posts