• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many extinct courses can we come up with?

I'm OK with listing

# 33 Edgebrook Golf Course in Chicago

# 34 River Oaks Golf Course, Calumet City, Chicago

# 35 Simpson Park in Albany, Oregon

I think we need more info on the Maui course and on the Santa Cruz course. Was Tabor ever considered a real course? Was it listed on the PDGA's list?

My brothers and I have play two courses that I can't find on here.
#36 one at the Dallas Baptist Univ. in Dallas, TX. We played this one in Aug. 2001.

#37 one at Southwestern College in Winfield, KS. There was a 9 hole in the middle of campus.

#37* this one was an 18 hole course that replaced the 9 hole at Southwestern College east of the main campus near the soccer fields. They moved the course out there for about a year and now both courses are gone.

The only one in the nati that i know of is Pioneer Park played it when i was a preteen with my uncle as my first course. It was um ok i guess now there is a dog park in its place.

#28 Rice University, Houston (9 holes) was also an 18-hole object course

This was the first course I ever played, back when I was a student there in the late 90's. When I was there, it was an 18-hole course with real baskets, but it kept getting uprooted and moved around to make room for all the building projects. Last time I visited, they'd built so many new buildings I hardly recognized the place. And that was several years ago.

The only one I know of is Gulley Park in Fayetteville, AR. It was in a park in the middle of town and had quite a few poorly designed holes that led many drivers into pedestrians because of blind corners and such. They picked it up and moved it to Lake Fayetteville Park because of all the injuries & such, which is a shame because the course there was IMHO better than the one they put in.

Another DG coarse bites the dust.

Sad news in Louisville area. Muldraugh DG coarse has been closed. The kicker is the damn reason. Some FH keeps stealing the baskets. :mad:

#42 Camelot Park in Bryan, TX. Was a John Houck designed course.

Quote from a local: "I went there one day and was quite confused when I could not find any baskets. Apparently, the homeowners in that area petitioned to have the course removed after some dirtbag disc golfers started yelling and cursing at a birthday party group that had set up a picnic in one of the fairways. Couple of bad seeds ruined it for all of us."

I have a copy of the PDGA Course Directory database, so I sorted it by CourseID number to look for ID numbers that are no longer in the database. I came up with 428 courses that were in the database at one time and are now removed.

I have a copy of the PDGA Course Directory database, so I sorted it by CourseID number to look for ID numbers that are no longer in the database. I came up with 428 courses that were in the database at one time and are now removed.

How many of those are onject courses?

#43 Margo Frankel Woods State Park - Des Moines, IA
#44 North Karen Acres Park - Urbandale, IA
#45 Brewer Creek Park - Webster City, IA
#46 Lake Manawa State Park - Council Bluffs, IA

How many of those are onject courses?

I don't know the answer to that yet. I've requested some archived database info that should include the deleted courses. Right now the database I have doesn't include them (they've been *deleted*). Once I have more info I'll do some analysis, such as basket vs. object, etc.

I'm starting to map the dead courses, and welcome input from others: Dead Disc Golf Courses

The map is very preliminary - I'm looking for co-contributors.

Rizbee,

What is your eventual objective for this project? Are you hoping that someone will resurrect these defunct courses?

Be careful tomorrow night lest these dead courses come back to life! :eek:

Night of the Living Disc.

(OK, I've gotta make sure that everyone caught what word "courses" sounds like. ;))

Ross Norton Park in Clearwater, FL. I haven't been by there in years, but it's no longer in the PDGA directory. It was a fairly easy nine-hole practice course, but it was set up next to a nice lake and had one over water shot I remember.

#48 Latta Park in Charlotte, NC. If I'm not mistaken it was the first course in Charlotte to have baskets. Before baskets it had marked trees, then cedar posts, and then eventually baskets were installed.

Rizbee,

What is your eventual objective for this project? Are you hoping that someone will resurrect these defunct courses?

My original objective was to collect the data so I could more accurately map the growth of courses across the US. I'm working on an animated map where markers appear as time passes. It made sense to me that courses that were installed then removed should have markers that appear then dissappear.

As I've gotten into the data collection I'm finding that these extinct courses have some interesting stories that go along with them, so I think it's a valuable part of the history of disc golf (which, by the way, is very poorly documented).

I'm not actively looking to get any of these courses resurrected, as there usually is a good reason they are extinct. If anyone is interested in collaborating on this project I can give you access to the Google Map so you can add data points.

A little late, but I guess we can add Otter Creek Park in Brandenburg Ky...closed due to budget cuts...might reopen if the state takes over the park...hopefully...

Latest posts