• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] How Many Putters Do You Carry?

j_mardis

I recently added a new ti zone and a second semi broken in z zone to my bag, bringing my putter total to 6 in my bag, and I am considering another between my stable M wizard (old school circle tooling) and my semi-beat z zone. This got me to thinking how many putters people carry in their bag? I know many top pros who carry 5 plus - putting and upshot/drive under to overstable.

How many do you carry and why?

Jordan

I could get away with 4. But I don't.

2 Polecats for 95% of putter drives and approaches. I carry a third in case of catastrophic tree damage.

2 kc aviars for putts only.

Vp for anny flex or for when it gets really nasty.

I could easily go with a putting aviar, a driving aviar and a beat up approach aviar. Just love the polecat too much.

Just one, Icon Clutch. I almost never throw a putter off the tee, so only use a putter for, well, putting.

Granted, today I finished more holes with a driver than a putter. Basically, if I missed the putt with the putter (too often today :mad: ), I'd just pick up the driver I had used on the previous shot and tap in with it instead of digging out the mini and using the putter again. No misses on tap-ins with the driver. Funnily enough, I used the same approach last winter, but then it was more of not having to take off the thick gloves, just keep them on and putt with the disc I had used on the previous shot prior to the putt.

I carry 4. I have 2 Colts, one is a little lighter and thus a little understable and the other is dead straight. I generally putt with the heavier one. I also carry 2 Pigs, a fresh one for OS drives/upshots and a beat in one for upshots that are straighter but still need some fade at the end. Between those 4 discs I have pretty much all short drives/upshots covered (as well as putting): understable, straight, straight with a little fade, and overstable.

Putters are so workable and respond to release angle so well, I never felt the need to have a bunch of different molds in varying stabilities. I think anyone could get by with a single stable putter no sweat.

4 putters

1 prime judge for only circle putting
1 fluid judge for long putts and approaches
1 dx colt for turnover to straight drives
1 pro pig for straight to fade drives

I carry 7. I like to throw putters as often as I can so,

3 wizards - Putting. Only really need one but I like to have a few to practice putt.
2 S P2s - Decent in wind. Love throwing them. Also practice upshots/drives if I feel like it.
2 Novas - Laser beams/ anhyzers. Same as above for practice.

I carry 6 putters.

2 MVP Ions for putting
3 Pro D Ringers - 1 flippy 1 straight 1 fresh/overstable
1 Seasoned Zone

I've tried to cut down, but I FH everything except putts. The same shallow rim that I love for FH's in the Zone and Ringers, feels really crappy for me for putts.

3 putters for me

1. Soft summit for putting or big anny approaches/putts
2. Soft envy for hyzer approaches or straight to slight fade approaches
3. Proxy for lazer straight, slight anny, or mild hyzer approaches - loving this guy for laying up

Can't wait for a soft more overstable version of the Envy to complete the collection of approach discs. Currently using a powered down verdict when I need a big fade approach - even at putter distance.

Five for me. Soft Envy over stable driving putter. Two Colts because one is slightly more stable. Two excel Clutches for putts only 170 for longer putts and 175 for shorter putts

If the Colt is a putter, then I carry three. I putt with a Classic Blend Judge, longer shots at the basket with a Lucid Judge, then throw the Colt on approach/upshots.

Too many.

In my putter/mid only bag that I am using this summer to improve my form(which seems to be working), from overstable to understable:

Vip Harp, G* Rhyno, Star Ontario Rhyno, Proton Envy, Fuzion Judge, Pro(not XT) Nova, Opto Pure.

I carry 7. I like to throw putters as often as I can...
Agreed; I can get putters reliably past 250' on normal golf lines. I'd rather do that than power down on a midrange. I love me some putters and I feel like I own 2.3 bajillion of them.

I always carry:
1 DX Rhyno
2 DX Aviar P'n'As (both freshy)
1 Star Aviar P'n'A
1 DX Polecat

Depending on the course and my mood I will carry some of these:
2 more Aviar P'n'As (1 crazy beat DX, 1 Champ)
1 DX Polecat (new)
Wizard, Warlock, Magic or Voodoo... they are all great. I really dig the Gateway S plastic

so, to answer the OP question: anywhere from 5-9 depending on my mood and the course. Out of curiosity, why do ask how many we are carrying? Is there something you are trying to figure out?

I'd really like to give the Whale a try. It sounds like the Magic with a bead... it sounds very intriguing... except for the name. I'd have to do a custom stamp for it, too ;)

Two for me.

Yeti to putt
Fuzion Judge to drive and up-shots.

Somewhere between 4-6 in my normal bag.
Right now I am rocking:
1 fresh Electron Atom for main putter.
1 Neutron Envy for driving and headwind putting.
1 slightly beat Electron Atom for hyzer-flipping and long putts.
1 Premium jOKERI for control drives.
1 DX Polecat...because you never know when you need that absolute control shot.

Latest posts