• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to build my bag and what brand

lovebecause

Bogey Member
I started out with an 145gram innova disc with a rating of 3 and a 175g disc craft dist with a fade of .5. I threw a surge disc with a 1.7 rating that I could not get to flatten out whatsoever. Later I was able to throw the disc craft disc a good 225 feet. I could get the disc to flatten out and then turn to the right at my best throws.

I am wanting to purchase 1-2 drivers and 1-2 midrange discs. I have enjoyed the disc craft disc and was thinking it might be best to stick with a brand that I can throw their discs well. not sure if this is true and asking for help. I do like the flatter longer rims rather than the deeper rims that are shorter rims.

I was thinking of purchasing the comet, the x avenger and the .8 rated disc driver to have a range of discs with different turns and to increase my distance with the comet.

Right now I have three mid range discs, a gazelle with a speed of 6 and a glide of 4 and turn of 2, an Innova disc rated a 2, and a skeeter which is like a 4,4 and a 0 1 ratings. I have 2 putters but am fine with them.

Lastly, plastics, I have used the plastic from disc craft that is slippery when wet and I have also used the cheaper plastics that are easy to throw when wet.

Any thoughts on how i should continue to build my bag? I am open to different plastics and what they are used for. Thank you for your time and input.

I'm also interested in purchasing a mid range and or driver that I can throw anhyzer/hyzer throws if needed.

Thank you for your information. I will study this information and pose more questions as they come. I have a soft plastic disc with a speed of 6 and a glide of 4. When I throw it at maximum speed the disc flies to the left, I am a left handed thrower by the way. When I throw my 9 speed avenger I have not had problems with that disc flying to the left after throwing that disc. Does that mean that speed 9 is where I should stay until my 9 speed disc begins to fly to the left out of the hand?

Get in the technique and bag building forums. Read up on the basics. It will all make sense after a while.

Welcome to the addiction.

Get in the technique and bag building forums. Read up on the basics. It will all make sense after a while.

Agreed. Don't get too good at "virtual" disc golf on forums and YouTube, though. Get out there and throw! Throwing different discs and figuring out how they behave was what finally helped me understand the concepts of hyzer, anhyzer, turnover, flex, hyzerflip, etc. Also, it helps intuitively understand "high speed versus low speed" and "overstable versus understable."

Personally, I'm still figuring out form; but it's important to combine post-reading and practice. In addition to a course, an open field and some discs make for great practice!

I am fairly new as well and started about 8 months ago, but have tried out a crap load of discs to find out what works best for me. What works for us might not be the best disc for you however of course.

From what I have found, something with more glide floats further for me, which is obvious if there is more glide. Also I found that a larger negative number on turn will cause it to correct backwards and flatten out for me therefore eventually becoming flat and floating/gliding further. Sometimes it is weird in that when it eventually flattens, it will almost jump upwards in the air as if it catches and the glide kicks in perfectly.

The next thing I focus on is the fade at the end. I find that with a lower fade number it doesn't cut as hard at the end for me, therefore finishing more straight to where you initially tried to aim it at.

My own personal recommendations which truly mean nothing as it is different for everyone is:
Putter: Aero, Aviar, Rattler
Mid Range: Buzzz, Mako
Fairway: Leopard, Archangel, Dragon
Distance: Valkyrie, Sidewinder, Beast, Monarch, Mamba, Tern, Quest Defender

Welcome
The most important thing to know about "what brand discs" you should throw?

Is that it doesn't matter.

You just need to throw it enough, to know what it's going to do when you throw it.

I feel like the Comet would be a great beginner disc. I might also put in a vote for the Buzzz if you like Discraft! Stay with the Pro/X plastic if it's working for you. If you end up liking a particular mold you can always upgrade to the more durable and expensive blends (like Z/ESP/Ti/FLX) later. Stick with mid-range discs and putters until you can break 250' or so. Drivers can be handy but in the long run, the slower discs will help out your form. Best of luck to you and welcome to the game! :thmbup:

I finally figured out speed and it has really helped open my eyes to the discs I need to be looking at. Also found my avenger ss in my bag, it was in one of those secret small pockets. Praise God.

3rd'd. :thmbup:
Welcome! :)
Enjoy!:hfive:

If you want save time, money, and frustration, heed the advice given in the beginner, technique, and bag building threads. Everyone wants to find the disc that will go further for them... say "Aye" if you're guilty.

*pauses for minutes while chorus of "Aye's" subsides*

Not that there aren't significant differences between discs (because, there are), but until your technique is relatively decent, searching for a disc that goes farther for you is a losing battle. You'll find that tons of them perform similarly for you.

If early on, you actually do get lucky enough to find one that goes reasonably further with lackluster technique, chances are it's because that mold is really masking form flaws you'll want to improve before trying to elevate your game.

The most surefire way to make this game harder than it has to be is to become reliant on a disc that hides your flaws, allowing what seems like rapid improvement until it plateaus, only to find you now need to re-learn things because it was just masking what you've been doing wrong the entire time.

How do you know which "advice" to listen to and which to ognore? If you see something repeated over and over by people who've been posting here for years... there's very likely some wisdom in what's being said. If it's just the opinion of a few relatively inexperienced players... well, you be the judge.

*tumbles to floor as soap box is kicked out from under him*
:eek:

Last edited:
I feel like the Comet would be a great beginner disc. I might also put in a vote for the Buzzz if you like Discraft! Stay with the Pro/X plastic if it's working for you. If you end up liking a particular mold you can always upgrade to the more durable and expensive blends (like Z/ESP/Ti/FLX) later. Stick with mid-range discs and putters until you can break 250' or so. Drivers can be handy but in the long run, the slower discs will help out your form. Best of luck to you and welcome to the game! :thmbup:

Disagree with this. I recommend having a fairway driver like a TL, XL, Leopard or Patriot from the get-go to learn how to throw nose down. Throwing just putters and mids can mask a nose up release. Fairway drivers like the ones I mentioned are useful across all skill levels, too.

Do not fall into the brand trap. You are not sponsored and even pros that are use different brands. I know that for me Innova is the easiest to get your hands on since they are the most prominent. You will learn that consistency and stability vary with each company. One thing you might need to do is go to a store and find what feels good in your hand. Then go look up the rim length and statistics. Not completely necessary but it helps me. Then you find other discs in that speed rating and try them out. For me that is speed 10 with the Beast, Monarch and Starfire. Ive heard the Valkyrie or Avenger SS is a great first distance driver as a Valkyrie was mine as well. I feel like I know the Beast in and out and is my best disc for shot placement. Next id recommend a Mako or Aviar not in DX plastic (rim gets chewed up too much for my liking) for your first mid range. Try a Buzzz as well since most shops sell them. Keep it simple and learn the discs and even ask your friends if you can try out their discs in a field after a round. If something just suits you pick one up and try it yourself.

I'm a newbie with a bunch of Innova stuff mostly. found a Buzz and hated it for a while, but made myself throw it over and over. now I love it.

lesson: not that the Buzz is all that, but throw a disc a LOT to figure out what it will do. THAT has helped me more than anything. YMMV....

When I see a beginner throwing 225 I like to recommend three, well technically four discs. A putter they like×2, a 170ish esp Buzz, and a 170ish dx leopard. Throw them alot before you start buying tons of plastic, trust me. One day you'll wish you didn't have 80+discs in a tote in your garage.

Utterly Confused Now

I was able to throw my Avenger SS for a consistent 80-90 paces. As I threw it I could not get this disc to fly overstable by throwing it too fast. With this thought I watched some YouTube videos on disc speed. The Avenger SS is a speed 9 disc. I thought that if I bought a disc that was a lower speed I would be able to get more distance. Someone on YouTube said until you can throw a fairway driver 300 feet its best to not use faster maximum distance drivers.

I bought a leopard 3 star plastic disc and my wife a leopard with speed of 6 echo-star plastic. I have been trying to throw these discs further than my maximum disc. I can throw maybe 10 extra feet, but I am not getting the distance that the person on YouTube was promising. Interesting enough I can hardly get either disc to flatten out on a line consistently. When I do it does drive maybe 20 feet further than the Avenger SS. I'm wondering if I throw it at a slightly higher angle with the same speed as I throw the Avenger SS I will be able to get more distance. When I throw my gazelle with a speed of 6 I can easily get it to get the overstable wander. The slicker plastics are proving to be more difficult to flatten out.

Any thoughts?

Latest posts