• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get a stuck disc out of a tree!

Isn't it illegal to have one of those? If it can go up 40'?

Nope, the latest rules update made it so that illegal devices are only a problem if you use them, not just if you possess them. Also, I know they took out the rule about GPS, I'm not sure if measuring devices in general are legal now.

I use a piece of composite decking such as Trex, 2x4 size, cut it about 4" long, then file all corners, paint it bright orange. I call it my brick, it's heavy, never gets stuck, easy to see on ground among leafs sticks and dirt. Bonus it never rolls away on a hillside like a baseball or softball does

Just noticed this post, that's genius. Now all you need is something to attach to the end for retrieving them from water.

I learned this trick from the guys out on Oahu. They carry two, one for dry, and one for wet. There seems to be a particular hole at Hickam that juts out over the water, and is notorious for eating discs, and the salt water is notorious for eating metal tapes.

As for illegal, that would only be if it was in a tournament, which you would probably end up leaving it behind after three minutes anyways. Retrieving it after the round would not jeopardize your score.

1382070_10200582406352358_1026888429_n.jpg

Contractors tape measure would be good idea. And rules-wise: you could always have a measuring device up to 10m for measuring "the circle" so if you get a 30' tape, you'd have been fine. But now it seems like you could use a longer tape then that even.

I carry a hockey puck. It flies real nice, is pretty thin for cutting through the tree to get my disc down.

True Story:

First year I'm playing, got a Tbird stuck way the hell up a pine tree next to a field I was using to practice. Like more than 50 ft. I could see it from the light coming through (champ,) but it was wedged in a crotch (heh) and I could never dislodge it. I tried like 8 times, as I practiced at this field regularly.

Months later, like 5 months, after a severe storm, noticed it was gone, fished around in the shule below, and bam, found it, a little weathered up, but none the worse for the wear. Cool, since that following weekend I was heading up to Knoxville to play some rounds with my buddy....

First day, first round, I shanked that b***ard into the TN River...or the stream @ Louden Muni that dumped it into the TN River.

So, I don't carry Tbirds. I'm a ornithophobe.

Hockey Puck - 170g
Golf Ball - 46g
Baseball - 149g

I've had a baseball get stuck in a tree. Golf balls don't penetrate well.

Informative thread, nice posts. Saw the hockey puck mentioned a few times but none as a puck-on-a-string. Played in Montreal on a visit, lost a disc about 40ft up in a pine (big christmas tree), the locals loaned me someones puck-on-a-string, worked great with a reasonably well placed throw.

Whats nice is the puck also fits nicely in your drink holder of the disc-bag. Also cheap to make (drill a hole in center & tie the string as mentioned w/ the similar baseball post). The string or rope is a tradeoff of strong enuf to shake a branch but weak enuf to break if lodged in the crotch of 2 branches(assuming the puck would return when the string broke).

Informative thread, nice posts. Saw the hockey puck mentioned a few times but none as a puck-on-a-string. Played in Montreal on a visit, lost a disc about 40ft up in a pine (big christmas tree), the locals loaned me someones puck-on-a-string, worked great with a reasonably well placed throw.

Whats nice is the puck also fits nicely in your drink holder of the disc-bag. Also cheap to make (drill a hole in center & tie the string as mentioned w/ the similar baseball post). The string or rope is a tradeoff of strong enuf to shake a branch but weak enuf to break if lodged in the crotch of 2 branches(assuming the puck would return when the string broke).
Couldn't you just let go of your end, or cut it?
I've also heard people use wrist rocket slingshots...but I could see that getting hairy if you don't know what/who is downrange.

edit: someone did say slingshot...sorta.

How about one of these with a rubberized/blunted tip? :D
61LGRNgonUL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't you just let go of your end, or cut it?
I've also heard people use wrist rocket slingshots...but I could see that getting hairy if you don't know what/who is downrange.

edit: someone did say slingshot...sorta.

I've read of people damaging discs with slingshots. My last dog was a fetch machine, and I would use this slingshot with him. It would be perfect (since a tennis ball wouldn't do any damage) if it weren't so large.

It's true about possible damage to discs using slingshots. I carry one and have never failed at retrieving a disc except once. I've damaged an old DX (brittle) and punctured an ESP. However, both of these were wedged fairly tightly in the branches but eventually came down. The one that I couldn't get down was in the top of a tall tree (+50' high) that was the result of an errant thumber. This was about a month ago. We hit it several times and it wouldn't budge (Z plastic that made an interesting thunk sound when we hit it). We've had some very heavy winds (50+ mph) since then and it is still in the tree. All the others that I've rescued were never damaged by the slingshot method.

LoPan's concerns about people/things downrange definitely have merit. You have to be aware of this and caution people in the immediate vicinity to be wary of ricochet. As for choice of projectile, I use river/pond rock that are smooth with no sharp edges. Ball bearings work too but they tend to fly too far which can lead to BBs raining down a long ways away. The river rock doesn't travel as far and slows down fairly quickly. Small BBs can puncture the flight plate but really don't have enough mass to move a stubborn disc. However, they are less likely to hurt anyone on a ricochet. Large BBs have the mass and are less likely to damage the disc but can hurt if you are hit with a ricochet.

With all of this being said, I only bring out the slingshot when other available (safer) methods have failed.

I wonder if you could do mini-crossbow with a high tensile fishing line on the bolt, to keep it from going off and away...*thougts of batman-esque grappling guns floats through head :D *

Golf balls and rocks. The balls rarely if ever get stuck and rocks...well who cares if they get stuck in the tree. I keep at least one golf ball in my bag at all times.

Wrist rocket and cheap Toys'R'Us marbles for ammo. Definitely check downrange before trying.
Works better than throwing large sticks. Seen far too many sticks and logs get stuck in a thick tree and hang like widdowmakers for the next folks to walk by. If a marble damages your disc, it was due for replacement anyway.

I usually climb up, but when my last one stuck was over 30 feet high I got sketched out when I got up 25 feet in a 20 mph wind. The branches and trunk were a swaying. Highly unsettling. So I read on this and other forums about wrist rockets and marbles. 45 shots and 4 direct hits later my pre release O-Lace was down for me to throw again. Aiming was the hard part.

Latest posts