• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get that extra distance?

tbsnapp

I play here in Texas and just need to step up my bomb drives. Is the best way for huge distance to hyzer-flip something or throw the big anny with something more stable

I get my distance by hyzer flipping understable stuff. A beat nuke will go for days.

It just depends on your power. At the GBO I saw Jeremy Koling throw a BRAND NEW Z Force over 700' with a HUGE anny. But he's a freak of nature.

increasing your power is more important than what line you release on. If you feel you are at a max power for yourself. Then i would ask whether you are personally able to "put more on it" on a hyzer line, or an Anny line.

I lose power when i throw on a hyzer line, so my max D tosses all have a flat to slight anny release. I use hyzer flip for other things, but not max D. But i think everyone is different on what type of throw will yield their best power. The key is making sure you are getting the power needed for a bigger toss.

What disc are you throwing for max D right now? And is this for show or for control?

Very high turnover shots that flex back at the very end are the way to maximize distance. Watch any pro distance comp and that is what they all throw, and for good reason. Last week at a tournament I threw ~600' on a 660' par 4 with one these lines. The reason most people use a hyzer flip is because it is easier to execute and control, but it won't go as far.

Last edited:
3-4 xstep run up, add a hop, get your timing down on release point, proper form, confidence in your throws

Getting huge D is all about maximizing your reach back, pull through(arm speed) and snap. Clean form is also crucial in order to get a disc way out there. I usually get my biggest drives from hyzer flips with beat in destroyers. Any type of release where you can get that big, sweeping turn but still get a long fade is going to get you big D. So the release and type of throw will depend on the disc, as well as how comfortable you are with throwing that particular way. Regular field throwing and lifting weights is a great way to strengthen your arm and clean up your form.

Getting huge D is all about maximizing your reach back, pull through(arm speed) and snap. Clean form is also crucial in order to get a disc way out there. I usually get my biggest drives from hyzer flips with beat in destroyers. Any type of release where you can get that big, sweeping turn but still get a long fade is going to get you big D. So the release and type of throw will depend on the disc, as well as how comfortable you are with throwing that particular way. Regular field throwing and lifting weights is a great way to strengthen your arm and clean up your form.

if by maximizing your reachback you mean reaching back as far as possible, that's not true. It will most likely screw up your timing and balance resulting in OAT. It doesn't get you any extra distance.

Distance/arm spead is mostly achieved in your hips and torsoe.

Throw downhill.

Oh wait, you're in Texas?

Never mind.

Technique aside, you want to maximize your bodies potential to deliver the power to the disc. If you have tight muscles, decreased rom in shoulder(s), dec thoracic, and lumbar range of motion, your going to loose a bit of distance. Along with all the above mention advise, I would work on my flexibility, core strengething and overall speed of dynamic muscle movements mainly focused around your core. Try crossfit, and really focus on the flexibility part, I would be really surprised if that did not add some D for your noodle arm!

Crossfit = doing pullups, deadlifts, and power cleans with the worst possible technique. Injury paradise!

Crossfit = doing pullups, deadlifts, and power cleans with the worst possible technique. Injury paradise!

I agree if you get sloppy with your technique that injury may result, but that's any sport hammer, sloppy throwing can result in rotator cuff, knee injuries and the like. I only mention crossfit because if forces you to have a great core, well integrated muscle movement, and excellent power transfer from the ground up... Which is clutch for D.

I agree if you get sloppy with your technique that injury may result, but that's any sport hammer, sloppy throwing can result in rotator cuff, knee injuries and the like. I only mention crossfit because if forces you to have a great core, well integrated muscle movement, and excellent power transfer from the ground up... Which is clutch for D.

Agreed. However, I think Crossfit should only be attempted by people that have a fitness base and some existing knowledge of lifting techniques. They don't teach that in the classes. They just tell you to rep out 50 pull ups, followed by another 30 power cleans. 95% of the class will be kipping their pull ups and cleaning with arched backs. It's the worst place in the world for weekend warriors that have no clue what they are doing. I guess this discussion should be held in another thread, though.

Throw downhill.

Oh wait, you're in Texas?

Never mind.

What's that even mean? You think it's all like Kansas or somethin?? lol

Austin, TX is located in something called "HILL COUNTRY". East Texas (Piney Woods) has rolling hills. Lake Nacogdoches has some of the best elevation shots I've ever played. Not every part of TX is like desolate West Texas terrain.

Last edited:

Latest posts