• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer-flip good, anhyzer-flip... bad?

Ok, let me clarify.

Take an overstable disc and throw it on an anhyzer line or RHBH like this "\". Opposite of a hyzer flip. Just the opposite of an understable disc. Use the stability to flip the disc up flat.

Maybe it's called a flex shot, maybe I'm getting my terms messed up.

Flex shots are great. I throw them often, just not generally on tight lines.

Most people prefer hyzer flips in tight line/tunnel situations. A VERY small # of players will also use a stable disc thrown on a slight anhyzer that finishes straight for tunnel shots. Its a very tricky shot. Paul McBeth and Nate Doss are two guys that prefer the slight anhyzer to the hyzer flip. They are in the extreme minority tho.

I see a lot of people advocating hyzer-flipping.

"I just hyzer-flip that TL and shoot it right up the pipe"

But than people put down anyhyzer-flipping a disc claiming it is "bad technique".

To me they are just two different ways of throwing a disc to make it what you want to do. Hyzer-flip my Leopard, throw an XL flat, anyhyzer-flip an Avenger, it all works out the same.

Why so much hate for the anhyzer-flip?

My shoulder already hurts reading this.

So... We still all agree that there is NO such thing as a an-hyzerflip correct? :p

I learned early on that a natural tendency of someone new to the sport it to throw with hyzer (Because that is how we throw regular Frisbees) and throw high in the air. So, I overcompensated and came to love releasing with slight anhyzer and using overstabalish discs. Hyzer flips are more difficult for me to judge both my release angle and height. But, that doesn't mean I don't use them and both types of shots have a place. It really all just depends on wind conditions, how much room you have to work with and largely on the disc you are throwing. As long as I have tailwind, I throw a hyzer-flip low and straight with a Mamba (even a slight headwind and a deep hyzer still produces a shot with the Mamba that turns over and doesn't come back). On the other hand, I throw a Boss with slight anhyzer with calm conditions. If I have a headwind, I throw an overstable disc flat that I normally can't get up to speed such as a heavier Boss.

Last edited:
I learned early on that a natural tendency of someone new to the sport it to throw with hyzer (Because that is how we throw regular Frisbees) and throw high in the air. So, I overcompensated and came to love releasing with slight anhyzer and using overstabalish discs. Hyzer flips are more difficult for me to judge both my release angle and height. But, that doesn't mean I don't use them and both types of shots have a place. It really all just depends on wind conditions, how much room you have to work with and largely on the disc you are throwing. As long as I have tailwind, I throw a hyzer-flip low and straight with a Mamba (even a slight headwind and a deep hyzer still produces a shot with the Mamba that turns over and doesn't come back). On the other hand, I throw a Boss with slight anhyzer with calm conditions. If I have a headwind, I throw an overstable disc flat that I normally can't get up to speed such as a heavier Boss.
From descriptions, I think this whole "overstablish disc on a slight anhyzer that finishes straight" thing is what the OP is referring to as an 'an-hyzer flip'. So is it correct that this is called a flex shot? Or is it something else?

From descriptions, I think this whole "overstablish disc on a slight anhyzer that finishes straight" thing is what the OP is referring to as an 'an-hyzer flip'. So is it correct that this is called a flex shot? Or is it something else?

Yeah typically that's called a flex shot, although it's not really as descriptive as hyzer flip. The term "hyzer flip" describes the release angle and the subsequent flight characteristic (respectively). Using that same naming convention, a flex shot would be called "anhyzer fade".

I think that "anhyzer-flip" portion of the thread title is a little bit misguided. As others have noted, an actual anhyzer flip shot would just turn into a roller.

The hate isn't so much on the shot itself. The problem is that many new players try throw discs that are far too over stable for them, and compensate by turning everything over and letting it fight back. This leads to bad form and will hurt efforts to throw further.

The ideal is to learn both shots, because they fly very differently. Even if they get to the same place, the path is quite different.

Off axis torque, typically caused by not following through properly and rolling your wrist.

I think there may be some disagreement on what OAT is. In the past some have felt it was caused by a lack of rotation relative to forward speed.

I can envision releasing the disc off axis relative to forward motion... where the disc, / is off angle to the direction of flight, -> and as it rotates if wobbles until the natural flight tendency of the disc causes it to level off.

Perhaps it is best to say that it occurs any time the disc is not flying optimally and there may be more than one cause.

Yeah typically that's called a flex shot, although it's not really as descriptive as hyzer flip. The term "hyzer flip" describes the release angle and the subsequent flight characteristic (respectively). Using that same naming convention, a flex shot would be called "anhyzer fade".

I think that "anhyzer-flip" portion of the thread title is a little bit misguided. As others have noted, an actual anhyzer flip shot would just turn into a roller.

I always thought an annie flip was something Annie did when she scored an Ace. I've never actually seen the term in any disc golf glossary.

Not sure I like the anhyzer fade term. All discs thrown at all angles, if given enough time, will fade. The flex shot term specifically identifies a shot that is thrown on an annie line and that flexes out of that line due to the characteristics of the disc, i.e. over stable. This is the first time I've seen a flex shot referred to as an annie fade.

Not sure I like the anhyzer fade term. All discs thrown at all angles, if given enough time, will fade. The flex shot term specifically identifies a shot that is thrown on an annie line and that flexes out of that line due to the characteristics of the disc, i.e. over stable. This is the first time I've seen a flex shot referred to as an annie fade.

I'm not saying that anyhyzer-fade is a commonly used term (nor that it should be). I was just pointing out that the title of the thread includes the term "anhyzer-flip" in a way that I consider to be erroneous. I think that "anhyzer-fade" would be closer to the original intent, although I suppose "anhyzer-flex" would be applicable as well.

The hate isn't so much on the shot itself. The problem is that many new players try throw discs that are far too over stable for them, and compensate by turning everything over and letting it fight back. This leads to bad form and will hurt efforts to throw further.
:clap:

Nos this is a necro-bump! Over six years... Nice. :)
Bumped with "What is OAT" :doh:

All my throws are an-hyzer flips. I have what's referred to as reverse-oat. It's an issue

i am surprised someone has not chimed in with the old school term
Helix Shot

All my throws are an-hyzer flips. I have what's referred to as reverse-oat. It's an issue
That would be the Greek letter, τ

Not possible unless the disc corkscrews down the fairway. I can see why the term fell into disuse.

Unless they throw the Aerobie Epic. That is old school.​

ooops... apologize for thread-jacking

Nice necrobump, Bro.

tumblr_lzrw1kfi911r4alnuo1_500.gif