• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer-Flip

hendersondayton

Eagle Member
OK. I need an explanation here. I have heared and read "Hyzer-Flip" several times. I know what I hyzer is but not quite sure about the "clip" part.

If you take an understable disc, or a beat-in stable disc (like a DX Roc, Teebird, Gazelle, etc) and throw it normally, it will tend to turn over a abit.

But with a hyzer release, it will tend to "flip" up to flat. This is an effective method for long, straight tunnel shots with very little fade and for big distance drives, which is where you commonly see it. Alot of speed and power can be generated by this method.

Really. I was thinking about trying this with my Katana that is pretty darn understable. I just didn't know the name of it! Altough, I have thrown RHBH with a little hyzer and the Katana (and my old Boss) just went mad LEFT. Should I throw it with a little "anhyzer" for a back hand?

Disc appearance for a hyzer flip RHBH:

/ __

As long as it does that part of "flipping" from hyzer angle to flat, it technically is a hyzer flip. Then, depending on how understable of a disc you are using, it can either finish right (\), finish straigh (__) or fade out back left (/)

If you start with anhyzer RHBH the disc would look like this \ __ /

This is the opposite of a hyzer flip, referred to as a Flex shot.

Hyzer flipping a slower or more understable disc IMO is more conductive to maintaining good form, while throwing flex shots, even though they have their purpose, to me can really encourage you to throw discs you probably shouldnt be throwing and limit your potential.

Really. I was thinking about trying this with my Katana that is pretty darn understable. I just didn't know the name of it! Altough, I have thrown RHBH with a little hyzer and the Katana (and my old Boss) just went mad LEFT. Should I throw it with a little "anhyzer" for a back hand?

The other part of this is that you have to be able to get the disc up to speed. How far are you throwing your Boss and Katana?

I would recommend learning this with an understable/beat-in mid or fairway driver, first.

My Katana, I have thrown, on accident about 350'. My standard Driver is a Star TL and I can throw it around 300'.

I have thrown both the Katana and the Boss as indicated / but for some reason, it just goes mad left. Unless I am not getting enough of that angle on it and I am throwing it more Upright than what I should be.

RHBH Hyzer Flip:Release disc like /, then it will go --, then into a \ ,then eventually it will go \, to a --, then a / and land... I'm not sure I understand this...

My Katana, I have thrown, on accident about 350'. My standard Driver is a Star TL and I can throw it around 300'.

I have thrown both the Katana and the Boss as indicated / but for some reason, it just goes mad left. Unless I am not getting enough of that angle on it and I am throwing it more Upright than what I should be.

Are you throwing right hand, back hand? If your Katana is just going left, I'd be inclined to say that you're not getting enough power to get the Katana up to speed to hyzer flip it. You need less angle, not more to get it to fly straight.

Working with slower, understable discs is a good way to learn this. By slow, I mean putters and mids.

Sounds liek you dont have the arm speed. Katanas are very fast discs and, while I know a lot of guys throwing 300' like to throw them to try to get that extra, they really wont get you that much distance opposed to throwing something within your ability, especially something you can hyzer flip.

Try a light Leopard or Cheetah if you have one, or a Stingray; for a 300' thrower (Im not that far off) I say speed 5 or 6 understable discs would be a good start and throw them the way you would try to throw a hyzer line. They should turn up and to the right and go straight or even start trailing right.

Yes. I am a RHBH. Although, the two times I accidently threw 350, I threw a pretty good Forehand.

I would assume practicing with a TL is not a great idea as it is understable? I have a Valkyrie that may work out better for practicing this. My Mid-Range discs are Buzzz and Wolf

Wolf should work. TL is stable but you might be able to do it, but I would start with the Wolf.

Thank you guys for your tips. Take a look at my disc list. I don't think I have too many discs that fit this category. I was always under the impression that FASTER discs were good for people who cannot throw hard. Maybe I am wrong.

I will try to find a Cheetah or Leopard in Innova. What about a different Brand (say Discraft)?

Your DX valkyrie should be good for this.... if it's in new condition you might want to break it in. Hyzer flips work well with really understable discs (such as a beat-in DX Valkyrie).

Actually a beat-in DX Valkyrie is about the ideal disc you could use for this shot. The disc I was using when I first learned this shot was a DX cheetah... it was about 9 years ago but I would still recommend it. Tip the disc down to a good hyzer angle, the more understable the disc the more hyzer you'll have to use, and let it rip hard. Think about reaching back and pulling the disc straight on a line right to your target; if you execute it right the disc should stay on that straight line the whole time (and maybe fade right or left a little at the end). If your valkyrie is still fading left more than you'd like while using this technique, try out a DX cheetah or DX leopard.

P.S. put your katana, and especially your boss, away until you are throwing 400'. Unless you want to use them for "meathook" discs a.k.a. big curve shots. Although maybe you could use your boss for wide open max distance forehand shots....that's what I do.

Thank you guys for your tips. Take a look at my disc list. I don't think I have too many discs that fit this category. I was always under the impression that FASTER discs were good for people who cannot throw hard. Maybe I am wrong.

I will try to find a Cheetah or Leopard in Innova. What about a different Brand (say Discraft)?

Avenger SS would be my choice, but honestly if your near a shop I would go and find some beat up discs. I did the exact thing and found a pro-d XL and actually a beat up Force at the Nati Disc Golf and those were the ones I learned to flip and I even got a trade in so the discs were less than 8 bucks a piece and I knew how beat they were.

Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uHMoYJ6Q at 1:31 (to skip through all the corny stuff) copying his form is what I did also and just throwing in a soccer field it's helped me big time.

Right now, My Katana IS a meathook disc. The one time i really threw it well was into a Headwind with a forehand. The thing just sailed away!

Also, My Valkyrie was one I found. It is nasty beat up! I will try using it more for this.