• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer-Flip

Your confusion is confusing me... would be much easier to teach in person!

On a hyzer flip though, the disc should NOT be parallel at the pull through/"hit" point. it should be somewhere between 45 and ...15 maybe. The trick is to tilt the disc like you want it to curve left (throwing right hand...RHBH), and just throw it very hard with a lot of snap so it flips up to flat.... from there it may continue going straight, it may keep turning over and go right, and it may fade back left. It all depends on the disc you're throwing and how much power you give it.

The hyzer angle should come from your arm, and not your wrist.

Barry Schultz, Teeing off 2nd in the video, throws a real nice hyzer flip here:

Bonus: Nikko throws a sick roller even though you can't see it roll

Last edited:
Dont try to overthink it.

Just take your slowest understable disc out and walk through the motion like you are throwing a disc normal. Now, just lower your arm to where your knuckles are pointing more toward the ground and just throw with this angle how it feels natural.

You are thinking wayyy too much on this.

Bad Habit i tend to get into. I will get out today and throw it. I have a Wolf, a Monarch, a beat valkyrie, a beat Viking, and a New Glide that I will just toss around.

Thanks!

All you have to do is get above the disc speed. I would start with the Wolf until you get the feel, then move up to the beat Valk, but depending on the weight and how beat, dont get frustrated if you cant get that one.

i love flipping an old beat in star sidewinder..such a fun throw and a pretty easy way to get some extra distance.

just put the hyzer angle on, keep your weight forward and stand over the disk....see ya

Every disc has a certain speed threshold. If you can exceed this threshold the disc will flip for you to some degree.

It then becomes a balancing act as to how much hyzer versus how much speed you give the disc. Hyzerflips don't necessarily need to flip to flat and stay there. They can get over a bit even to becoming a roller in some cases. Also, there are flattened hyzers where the disc either just barely gets to flat or not entirely.

If you start with anhyzer RHBH the disc would look like this \ __ /

This is the opposite of a hyzer flip, referred to as a Flex shot.

Hyzer flipping a slower or more understable disc IMO is more conductive to maintaining good form, while throwing flex shots, even though they have their purpose, to me can really encourage you to throw discs you probably shouldnt be throwing and limit your potential.

agreed about the flex shot thing.

if you have to flex it, and you aren't shaping a line, you need to switch to something slower/more understable.

Latest posts