• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer-Flip

If you start with anhyzer RHBH the disc would look like this \ __ /

This is the opposite of a hyzer flip, referred to as a Flex shot.

Hyzer flipping a slower or more understable disc IMO is more conductive to maintaining good form, while throwing flex shots, even though they have their purpose, to me can really encourage you to throw discs you probably shouldnt be throwing and limit your potential.
I think there's nothing wrong with the RHBH flex shot on the higher glide discs. It's usually how I drive most fairways when I'm looking to really "boom" it with a Boss or Beast.

\ to __ to / and probably 400+ ft. (the initial anhyzer is probably about 20 or 30deg on my release)

If there's a lotta wind or no room for the right hook of the flex shot (ie dogleg lefts with trees on the right), then I just go with a more overstable driver (Firebird or Destroyer) nose down and a centered or slightly late release.

__ all the way and maybe ~350ft.

...I know most pros use hyzer flip drives, but I get some throws that never flatten out... just hook out of control. The flex shots are just what I've found to work out, but everyone has their own methods.

Last edited:
my recommendations for discs are stingray and comet ... both are kinda touchy but will help you throw better.

What is the "Flip" part of this? That is not something you do with your wrists is it, it is just the concept of the disc itself flipping over?

I am really struggling with this hyzer-flip. When I am pulling threw the shot My arm is aiming down at the ground to give that angle or should my arm be flat but the disc be pointing down using my wrist? Can someone post a pic of what good form would look like at the point you follow through? maybe a link to a video?

What is the "Flip" part of this? That is not something you do with your wrists is it, it is just the concept of the disc itself flipping over?

I am really struggling with this hyzer-flip. When I am pulling threw the shot My arm is aiming down at the ground to give that angle or should my arm be flat but the disc be pointing down using my wrist? Can someone post a pic of what good form would look like at the point you follow through? maybe a link to a video?

Basically, all you are doing is throwing a hyzer shot with an understable disc so that the disc will turn (aka "flip") from a hyzer angle to straight or even turn all the way over and go right. Form is all the same as a hyzer shot.

Your arm will be pointed down and while you throw it, and in your follow through your shoulders should be on the same angle as the disc is released. Here is a pic that I found that may help:
13674176_125x125.png

Your arm will be pointed down and while you throw it, and in your follow through your shoulders should be on the same angle as the disc is released.

I have been doing this a lot. Mainly with a Discraft Glide (brand new) or a beat valkyrie. Both just Hyzer into a roller. I don't really think I have enough arm strength to get it to turn back over again.

I can throw my TL about 300' to give you an idea of arm strength

I have been doing this a lot. Mainly with a Discraft Glide (brand new) or a beat valkyrie. Both just Hyzer into a roller. I don't really think I have enough arm strength to get it to turn back over again.

Didnt you say you had a Wolf or something of that sorts? I would try that.

The toughest thing about a hyzer flip is that you need to generate a lot of snap causing the disc to spin fast. If you're strong-arming it, the disc will be spinning slower, and consequently, will not generate the low pressure area on the left side of the disc and will stay in a hyzer. My suggestion is actually to completely eliminate the run-up when you're practicing this and to also limit reach back. This throw is not about arm speed, it's about the snap you create, so just have a limited reach back and pull through really focusing on getting a "hammer pound" feel with your wrist. You'll get the disc spinning faster and it'll be able to flip up. As you get comfortable with this, you can add in a longer reach back and run-up one at a time. Just make sure that your focus is always on the hammer pound feel and you should be able to generate the snap you need. Also, as far as arm and hand placement go, your arm should be fairly level (pointing down slightly) and the wrist will be cocked down in a handshake like position.

Without reading all 5 pages, i'd recommend using a midrange to first learn the hyzer flip. A wolf would be good, as would a meteor.

Just like normal drives, having control is most important, and this will be easier to do with a midrange. learn good form on the hyzerflip (as well as all drives) with a mid, and than move up to faster discs.

The toughest thing about a hyzer flip is that you need to generate a lot of snap causing the disc to spin fast. If you're strong-arming it, the disc will be spinning slower, and consequently, will not generate the low pressure area on the left side of the disc and will stay in a hyzer. My suggestion is actually to completely eliminate the run-up when you're practicing this and to also limit reach back. This throw is not about arm speed, it's about the snap you create, so just have a limited reach back and pull through really focusing on getting a "hammer pound" feel with your wrist. You'll get the disc spinning faster and it'll be able to flip up. As you get comfortable with this, you can add in a longer reach back and run-up one at a time. Just make sure that your focus is always on the hammer pound feel and you should be able to generate the snap you need. Also, as far as arm and hand placement go, your arm should be fairly level (pointing down slightly) and the wrist will be cocked down in a handshake like position.

Thank you. I will try again without the run-up. I have been struggling with the strong arm. I will work some more on just the snap. I am trying to picture the "hammer-pound" but considering the fact that I am throwing opposite the motion of a hammer it is hard to visualize.

the most important part of the throw is visualizing yourself as a Street Fighter character, remember the 3 hit combo and say "Hyzer Flip" with each toss; you must also follow with the requisite "Ah-ucan" during said toss.

this is not to be confused with the Mortal Combat "Scorpion Putt".....

</non-sequitur moment>

Thank you. I will try again without the run-up. I have been struggling with the strong arm. I will work some more on just the snap. I am trying to picture the "hammer-pound" but considering the fact that I am throwing opposite the motion of a hammer it is hard to visualize.

Yes, that can be tricky. Here's how I do it:
I stand with my shoulders in-line with the target and with my feet together. Hold the disc up with your elbow bent so it is also pointing down the target line. The disc will be in front of your right pec to start. As you start your limited reach back, shift your weight back to your left foot (back foot). The reach back should only go just past your left (back) shoulder. You can pause at this spot if you like to make sure you're in the correct position (weight shifted to your back foot, disc just past your left shoulder, elbow less bent). Now you have an option: if it feels weird to just pull forward (which will shift your weight forward almost automatically), you can take a half step with your front foot as you pull (but you'll consciously have to shift your weight to avoid nose up). Now comes the main focus of the throw: the finish. You're pulling through, focusing on keeping the disc close to your chest because after all, it's a pull not a loop you're creating. You elbow will get to a point where it literally can not move forward any more without dislocating (the starting point where it's pointing down the target line). This is what initiates the forearm moving forward and now you really need to focus because until it becomes natural, you'll have to almost force the snap. Your arm will also reach an end point (when your arm is pointing down the target line. Right before you reach this point, you'll feel a weight shift in your hand as the disc starts to come around. This is where the snap needs to happen. When that weight is shifting, consciously hinge the wrist forward and complete the follow through (which for this will actually just be your body rotating around so you're facing the target). This can be complicated because you need to maintain the downward angle of the wrist while still hinging it forward. Try doing a few hinges without any other motion involved to get a feel for it before you do it with limited reach back. You'll know you did it right when the disc *looks* like it's spinning very fast and you can actually see it flip up from / to --

hope that helps

Both just Hyzer into a roller.

This makes me think that you're getting hyzer and anhyzer confused. The outside edge of the disc should be closer to the ground than the inside edge. An understable disc thrown flat RHBH will tend to turn over to the right. The purpose of the hyzer flip is to preempt that turn, and cause it to make the disc fly flat, if that makes sense. So instead of the disc being flat, and turning to the right, the disc is leaning to the left, and turns flat. That's the best way I can think to describe it.

I've recently discovered this method. My longest drives to date have been hyzer flipping wraiths. Release on a slight hyzer and it straightens out with little fade.....it looks awesome too heh.

Yes, that can be tricky. Here's how I do it:
I stand with my shoulders in-line with the target and with my feet together. Hold the disc up with your elbow bent so it is also pointing down the target line. The disc will be in front of your right pec to start. As you start your limited reach back, shift your weight back to your left foot (back foot). The reach back should only go just past your left (back) shoulder. You can pause at this spot if you like to make sure you're in the correct position (weight shifted to your back foot, disc just past your left shoulder, elbow less bent). Now you have an option: if it feels weird to just pull forward (which will shift your weight forward almost automatically), you can take a half step with your front foot as you pull (but you'll consciously have to shift your weight to avoid nose up). Now comes the main focus of the throw: the finish. You're pulling through, focusing on keeping the disc close to your chest because after all, it's a pull not a loop you're creating. You elbow will get to a point where it literally can not move forward any more without dislocating (the starting point where it's pointing down the target line). This is what initiates the forearm moving forward and now you really need to focus because until it becomes natural, you'll have to almost force the snap. Your arm will also reach an end point (when your arm is pointing down the target line. Right before you reach this point, you'll feel a weight shift in your hand as the disc starts to come around. This is where the snap needs to happen. When that weight is shifting, consciously hinge the wrist forward and complete the follow through (which for this will actually just be your body rotating around so you're facing the target). This can be complicated because you need to maintain the downward angle of the wrist while still hinging it forward. Try doing a few hinges without any other motion involved to get a feel for it before you do it with limited reach back. You'll know you did it right when the disc *looks* like it's spinning very fast and you can actually see it flip up from / to --

hope that helps

Would it be possible to get a few pics of this practice style? Maybe a setup pic...or a single video of how this practice technique will look?

I've recently discovered this method. My longest drives to date have been hyzer flipping wraiths. Release on a slight hyzer and it straightens out with little fade.....it looks awesome too heh.

I played with a guy on a road trip this last weekend that was doing this. It does look amazing! I was consistently throwing birdies. Made me want to work harder at learning it!

...Hold the disc up with your elbow bent so it is also pointing down the target line. The disc will be in front of your right pec to start. As you start your limited reach back, shift your weight back to your left foot (back foot). The reach back should only go just past your left (back) shoulder. You can pause at this spot if you like to make sure you're in the correct position (weight shifted to your back foot, disc just past your left shoulder, elbow less bent).

I am confused. The way you explained it my shoulders, arm, and disc are all parallel to the ground on the reach back and "pull through". The way I read it is that you had to put the Hyzer angle on it by pointing your arm and disc down at the ground.

If I am reaching back with my arm and disc and pulling thru the shot all parallel, where does the Hyzer Angle come from?

Dont try to overthink it.

Just take your slowest understable disc out and walk through the motion like you are throwing a disc normal. Now, just lower your arm to where your knuckles are pointing more toward the ground and just throw with this angle how it feels natural.

You are thinking wayyy too much on this.

Latest posts