• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am THEY

Just need to rant a bit after playing with a kid who complained about my home courses throughout this past weekend. "They need to fix the course design." "They need to cut back all these tree limbs." "This teepad more needs wood chips behind it." Etc. and etc.

I conceded some issues, pointed out changes made over the years, and argued about others (good course design does not mean cutting branches that you hit).

Maybe I'm getting old and cranky, but the amount of new players that complain about every little thing and never even stop to pick up trash on the course is really f------ annoying.

Alright, I'm done. Time to go move tree limbs out of the fairway because our park district doesn't have enough staff to do it.

I hear ya.....this is a phenomenon which occurs everywhere. Those that holler the loudest about "fixing" the course, are the exact ones that never lift a finger to do any of the work, or even pick up litter.

[The whole concept of littering baffles me. Some humans are just not good people. I would love to attend a get together at a litter bugs house, just to get a reaction from them, as I throw my trash on their floor. (You don't honestly expect me to walk all the way to the trash can in the kitchen, do you?) Perhaps then, they MIGHT get it. Not likely, but maybe.]

I do work on my local courses because it needs doing....not because I like doing it. No one else seems to care about getting it done. It is much easier just to complain about it. It seems to me, based on your post, that you are built the same way I am....you do it because no one else is going to get it done. More power to you, when someone complains, ask them to set a time that both of you can get to the course to get the work done, watch how fast they shut up. I used this technique the other day. I was asked if I could trim the growth around a tree that was now infringing on the fairway. I said, "Sure, when do you want to meet so we can get it done?" That was the end of that conversation.

Keep up the good work!! Sometimes, when others see you out there doing the work, it will motivate them to help out, either right then or maybe later....it doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Hang in there.

They did it again!!

picture.php

I'm guessing those are 2' by 2'? Where did you get them and how much each?

THEY are pretty awesome.

Looks fantastic.

How are you securing the frame? In the more exposed tee above I don't see any fasteners from the outside, so it made me wonder.

THEY are pretty awesome.

Looks fantastic.

How are you securing the frame? In the more exposed tee above I don't see any fasteners from the outside, so it made me wonder.

Frame is screwed together with brackets on the inside.
2 foot rebar is driven thru the frames into the ground, two on each long side.

I just opened a new hole on my local course earlier today.
The pavers are 18" so 4'6" wide by 9' or 10'6 long depending on hole length
2 Township workers installed the bridge.
About a month ago there was 70-80 feet of thick, nasty brush between the tee area and the field in the distance.
I can hardly wait to hear the complaints from the noodle arms that it's "too tough"! :popcorn:

Latest posts