• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need a new midrange disc..

jeverett

Double Eagle Member
Alright, my usual midrange disc is a Star San Marino Roc.. it's a good disc, but lately I've been finding it really doesn't have the characteristics I want for drives. I can now drive midranges out to roughly 280ft., but at that range my Roc just isn't performing well. It's solidly-stable, except in a headwind where it will turn over on me, but it also has too much fade. At a distance of ~260ft forward, I really want a midrange that doesn't fade ~30ft. off-line by the time it lands. I guess I'm really looking for a stable midrange (as stable as my Roc) with less fade, that can cut through a headwind better. Does such a disc exist, and can anyone recommend anything?

ditto on the Buzzz.

I prefer the Cryztal, but yeah, any of them will do.

I've never had that problem with a Roc unless it was getting beat, and I drive em over 300' fairly often. Thrown properly, it goes pretty much dead straight with a bit of fade at the end. Throw it too much nose up and you get a shorter throw and more fade/dive at the end. That said, I'm also adding a Buzzz to my bag because it flies like a nicely beat in Roc. I'd think, however, that a Roc would be better for headwinds. If you are turning it over under 300', you might have some OAT.

I've never had that problem with a Roc unless it was getting beat, and I drive em over 300' fairly often. Thrown properly, it goes pretty much dead straight with a bit of fade at the end. Throw it too much nose up and you get a shorter throw and more fade/dive at the end. That said, I'm also adding a Buzzz to my bag because it flies like a nicely beat in Roc. I'd think, however, that a Roc would be better for headwinds. If you are turning it over under 300', you might have some OAT.

I also agree with this.

Oh jeez.. that's a lot of votes for the Buzzz. I'd been meaning to get one just to try out anyway.. Alright heavy Z Buzzz it is. Thank you everyone. :)

Technically, what MikeR says is correct, but for what you are describing, speaking on disc only, the Z Buzzz probably is your best bet.

As everybody has said a really heavy Z BuZzz...or start DX Roc rotating like many people do.

those are really your best options.

\/\/

Just to be different I'm going to toss the Gator out there. I know that they're supposed to be overstable, but in my experience, these things drop like a stone the second they start to fade. If it makes a difference I've got a CFR Gator...although I don't think I could ever throw the Gator nearly as far as my Buzzz, Roc or Gremlin (GM), if you're looking to get rid of fade, this might work for you.

Latest posts