• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illegal disc?

Moffwicket

According to the PDGA book, the Wraith's max weight is 175.1. And yet somehow I own an old Star Wraith clearly marked 182.

Illegal? Or is my disc which I have aptly named Dancing Queen (for its spectacular but always beneficial abrupt movement in the wind) just too awesome for the rule book?

I would put that thing on a scale. It might be marked wrong.

This happens a lot for X-outs...

i found that a lot of max weight x-outs are actually heavier... this might also be true for many max weight discs period, especially if the disc doesn't have any cosmetic flaws. Its very difficult to mold exact weights...

There are discs that have listed max weights around 200g. I am not sure exactly what the rules say but I am not sure what the regulations as far as weight are.

I would write another weight on it and be done with it.

I have a very heavy #2 roller so yeah it is diameter.

I weighed my wraith on a digital scale. It was marked 175 and actually weighed 176.5

I want to do this with all my discs and see how accurate those markings are. Particularly the X outs.

I just need to find a digital scale.

next time you pick up a sack of your favorite libation, ask your friend if you can borrow his for a minute. ;)

most small scales (im looking at you, Tanita) only weigh up to 100g so make sure you check out how high your scale measures before purchasing.

Its illegal but I doubt you will ever get caught. But this is a sport of being honest

what if his wraith is older then the rule though... It might be legally grandfathered in, also most companies mark their discs within a couple gram tolerance, I'm sure the PDGA allows for this tolerance as its nearly impossible for companies to get it spot on...

I doubt the wraith is older then that rule. That rule was that way when I started as far as I know, and there were no wraiths then

Same rule in Japan sort of only the weight limit is actually 152.

Unless someone carries a pocket scale around the course with them im sure youll be alright.. just change the weight on the bottom to 175..

I have a question... if a CFR disc doesn't have the weight written on it, do you have to measure it yourself to know if it's legal?

Last edited: