• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan members! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im curious if they really supported the sport, why they wouldnt want to bring events to the parks 'they created'. Furthermore, why any of them arent on here (many TDS, and top players in areas as well as pros are), are they that good?:rolleyes:

For anybody that missed it, Illianasconsinigan transplant Mike Sale just set a new world record with 1310 holes played in 24 hours!

Im curious if they really supported the sport, why they wouldnt want to bring events to the parks 'they created'. Furthermore, why any of them arent on here (many TDS, and top players in areas as well as pros are), are they that good?:rolleyes:

#1---They do not want to bring in events unless they are able to make money. The contracts that the Park Districts sign put them in a favorable position to make money when a typical Tournament Director expresses interest in running an event.

Basically, the PD says that a person looking to run an event at one of "their" courses needs to contact their "disc golf consultant" (AKA Midwest DG) for such an approval/permit authorization. The average joe TD is quickly turned off by the fee that is not normally charged by an average Park District for such an event.

In a nutshell, Midwest Disc Golf has created a situation where any course that they have had a hand in installing/designing is essentially off limits for tournaments that are not owned and operated by Midwest Disc Golf.

#2---Believe it or not, they are smart enough to understand that they are unable to participate in this type of discussion with anyone that grasps a basic understanding of the Disc Golf community. That is why they do not participate in this or any other on-line forum.

"Ignorance is Bliss"<--------Midwest Disc Golf company motto. :thmbdown:

P.S.
While I appreciate the fact that they have participated in growing the number of disc golf courses, I also understand that they are holding back the growth of the sport more than anything else in the greater Chicagoland area.

P.S. x 2
Midwest Disc Golf is a FOR-PROFIT BUSINESS. When they are finally unable to make a profit from TAXPAYER DOLLARS via various Park District offices, they will cease to exist.

that really chaps my ass. Is there anything binding the PD from pushing them out?

I have not seen any of the contracts, so I don't know for sure either way. Hopefully, there is some kind of expiration date.

If not, any PD looking to get out of the contract would probably get tied up in court, which means they would most likely not even fight it because of court costs and attorney fees.

What I do know for sure is that the Freedom of Information Act gives the public access to documents like this. If anyone is willing to spend the time and effort, I'm sure a lot of people would love to see a Midwest Disc Golf/Chicagoland area Park District contract.

i have a friend setting up a Gregg Barsby clinic at McNaughton park. we need at least 20-25 people to make it worth while for him to make the trip...let me know if you guys would be interested...from what i have been told he will do the clinic, then some one-on-ones and the some dubs....he will be selling some of his merch too!! 4/21/2013 $25.00 a person...this will be a 2 hour clinic!!

Last edited:
I highly doubt they made a contract with any parks about running tournaments. When they get wind of anything happening at a course they are or were involved in, they just smooth talk the parks and tell them about how much money the park should make out of the deal. Or they spout off about how a tournament through the PDGA will cause "problems" with the general public traffic at the course. They are manipulative and it sickens me that they keep getting away with this garbage. The parks just don't know any better. I wish there was a way to educate them about all this without creating drama that makes all disc golfers look bad in the parks eyes.

Thats the main problem. The parks don't understand what the players and disc golf activists (if you will) already do. When you try to deal with Midwest head on, it just turns into a "he said she said" debate. This is bad news in the parks eyes......Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. I will say that if you are persistent enough (and keep a smile on your face and your pride in your pocket). They can be beaten(they have many times), but a lot of people don't have that kind of patience. I think people are fed up enough that time will take its toll on the kind of crap they pull. One way everybody can help is by refusing to buy there discs that are strewn all over the Chicago area. Go to aces and chains or buy online.....or from the dgcr marketplace.

Anybody on here live in Geneva? If so shoot me a pm.

One way everybody can help is by refusing to buy there discs that are strewn all over the Chicago area. Go to aces and chains or buy online.....or from the dgcr marketplace.

Matt

Do you know for a fact they are stocking the gas stations and 7-11s in the area? I spoke with someone at a couple locations and they mention someone by name (cant recall who). If they are doing the stores, I have some interests in additional information.

Wait a second... Midwest disc golf is the one who stocks up the 7-11s all over the chicagoland area? This is news to me... I heard a rumor that the guy who designed Kress Creek and KLM was the man behind that?

Wait a second... Midwest disc golf is the one who stocks up the 7-11s all over the chicagoland area? This is news to me... I heard a rumor that the guy who designed Kress Creek and KLM was the man behind that?

You may be referring to Gary Lewis.....but Steve O, did the design for West Chicago and Steve Matul aka #8 did KLM.....Those guys sort of have a "crew" if you will that works together on many projects. None of them do it for any money whatsoever. Gary I believe has a few locations that he stocks in the Joliet area, but for the most part......the 711's/gas stations that you see the dye jobs on the pro plastic (not fly dye) is more than likely midwest disc golf. Just ask the clerk at the counter if you are not sure.

I should have been more clear about the disc stand locations. My intentions were not to call anybody else out because there are a few independents out there that are doing their own thing. But I have done the research and I know for a fact that they are the suppliers for most of the stands you see.....especially next to any of the courses they were involved in.

I have a list......but I'm not posting it on the internet.........Just ask the managers if you want to know.

Its not like its classified information.

ATTENTION ILLINOIS GOLFERS!!

haha now that i have your attention....A friend of mine is hosting a clinic put on by none other than Gregg Barsby! McNaughton Park, Pekin, Il 4/21/13 $25 fee. after the clinic will be a round of dubs! anyone interested please pm me with any questions. She is taking pre-registrations now!

You may be referring to Gary Lewis.....but Steve O, did the design for West Chicago and Steve Matul aka #8 did KLM.....Those guys sort of have a "crew" if you will that works together on many projects. None of them do it for any money whatsoever. Gary I believe has a few locations that he stocks in the Joliet area, but for the most part......the 711's/gas stations that you see the dye jobs on the pro plastic (not fly dye) is more than likely midwest disc golf. Just ask the clerk at the counter if you are not sure.

I should have been more clear about the disc stand locations. My intentions were not to call anybody else out because there are a few independents out there that are doing their own thing. But I have done the research and I know for a fact that they are the suppliers for most of the stands you see.....especially next to any of the courses they were involved in.

Is Steve O the big guy who rides the old army bike? For some reason I was under the impression that he did both of them. I've talked with that guy when he was out at Kress setting up the new course after they moved it across the street and he was a real nice guy. I see him everywhere on that bike in the summer.

If you'd be willing to share that list with me I'd like to see it. Mostly out of curiosity. I pretty much buy 75% of my plastic at aces as it is but sometimes those 7-11 racks have some good finds in them.

with a baby that keeps me up all night..i might be able to allocate some time to an informational cause

If you do....send that info my way please. :popcorn:

If anyone is friends with them still, I wish them all the best. I even wish Midwest all the best. I, personally, do not want anything to do with them. And this is after 10 years of friendship.

What I was trying to convey about Midwest is that they are very insulting and degrading in their demeanor and can't be trusted. If they want to make money off of what they do, that's totally fine with me. Just don't lie about it to my face. Why would you lie to anyone that you would consider a friend anyway?

If you are friends with them and are interested in helping design or install a new course somewhere, give them a call. You will see how fast they shut you out of any detail that is involved. Especially if you stand up for yourself and start contacting the park on your own...you'll really see how they are. At least that's what happened to me.

I've heard a lot of stories about them over the years and decided to make my own assumption about them. It was about 6 years ago when I first saw their "dark" side and I still gave them the benefit of the doubt. And it wasn't until about a year ago when I had lost all respect for them.

I know that they troll on here reading all of the nice comments that people make about them. That is why I have kept my mouth shut for so long. At this point, I really don't care how they feel about me or what they read anymore. I hope that they read my comments and realize that they had screwed up and lost a great friend. I defended them in the past when most people wouldn't. Not anymore.

They actually are convinced that Bionic Rib and I have several different accounts and are giving them bad reviews on here. I never have ever reviewed a course on here (sorry DGCR)...I just love to play. They don't get that. They don't realize that I really love the game and want what is best for the sport. Not to mention that I was trying to help them and not hurt them. I'm still in the business of not hurting them but I certainly won't be assisting them with anything in the future, even if there is a profit to be made.

I am still waiting on apologies from them and know that I will never receive them.

haha now that i have your attention....A friend of mine is hosting a clinic put on by none other than Gregg Barsby! McNaughton Park, Pekin, Il 4/21/13 $25 fee. after the clinic will be a round of dubs! anyone interested please pm me with any questions. She is taking pre-registrations now!

Tell her to make a Facebook event page!

I have a lot of Illinois disc golfing friends I can invite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts