• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Champion Panther

Champion Panther?

• Own it, love it!

Votes: 72 31.2%
  • Own it......wish I didn't.

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Don't own it.

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Innova makes a Panther?

Votes: 34 14.7%

• Total voters
One of the must versatile disc ever made.
*Hyzer flip a new one with a ton of snap it will fly over 325
*They are easy to control in the wind
*forehand turn over finesse shots
*low ceiling bullet
*BH and FH roller
...turnover shots
watch out for the domey ones...just not the same as the flat tops

The Panther is a funny disc. Not really a mid, not really a driver. It never had a big following with serious players but was a popular disc with the more recreational crowd because it has a nice neutral stability and is easy to control. Once the high-speed drivers came out and players started learning to throw by torquing discs over, the type of players who used to dig the Panther couldn't get it to do anything but turn and burn. Now it's miss-advertised as a flip disc. If you look at the Innova flight chart they list it to the right of the Kite, which indicates it would be even flippier than a Kite when that is not the case at all. It actually is a better disc in Champ IMO because it picks up some stability in Champ. It's a really good, versatile disc. However, it has already been canceled once and brought back. With the glut of Innova midranges I'd expect to see the Panther and Cobra both dropped sometime soon.

i love this disc, dont throw it enough. i dont really use it for a midrange but more for short range overhand shots and anny shots. i have mine at 165g and it has really proven to be a very versatile disc for the technical shots that are about 100ft and in. has saved par for me way to many times...even got me a blind 2 at Lemon Lake Red #14 (that long down hill one) threw an anny from behind a bush looking for a lay in three and it hit the chains and fell in. everyone was going crazy...of course i thought they were just messing with me because i couldn't see it. havent deuced that hole since.

I know, Bummer. That's why I'm trying to snag up as many DX Panthers as I can find.
Don't fear the Champ Panther. If you like the DX ones the domey new ones that say "Mid-Range Disc" might be right up your alley. They fly a lot like the old DX ones. I like the older Champs that say "Multi-Purpose disc" on them. They are flatter and more stable, just a really good all-around disc.

How do they compare to a Stingray. Something makes it look like it would be like a stingray, just with a little more stability.

Don't fear the Champ Panther. If you like the DX ones the domey new ones that say "Mid-Range Disc" might be right up your alley. They fly a lot like the old DX ones. I like the older Champs that say "Multi-Purpose disc" on them. They are flatter and more stable, just a really good all-around disc.

It's not the disc itself... it's the champ plastic that bothers me!!! It seems a bit too slick for me & I never get a confident grip with it. Maybe if I come across an old beat up one I'd give it try.

BLACK PANTHER

With this dye job i assume...

That is exactly what I was getting at.

Congratulations, the joke time bomb was set at exactly 5 months and 18 days!!!

I've got a few dx panthers in the basement. Mostly fresh - maybe one that's only lightly used. I think I even have a first run one from the '93 Worlds in Huntsville. I'll have to look for em - pm me if interested, and I'll dig em out.

I've got a few dx panthers in the basement. Mostly fresh - maybe one that's only lightly used. I think I even have a first run one from the '93 Worlds in Huntsville. I'll have to look for em - pm me if interested, and I'll dig em out.

Definitely take a look!!! Let me know what you come up because I'm very interested in them!!!

The Panther is a more of straight flier & is not as understable as the Stingray. I believe it is smaller in diameter as well.

Thanks. lol

Is it workable on lines though to where you can get a good anny throw? I know the Stingray, you could throw it flat or even hyzer and it would flip over for a right turn, but could the panther with an anny release hold the line?

OK, Thanks!

I just might have to give one a try and see what I can do with it. Might still get a Stingray just in case.

The panther does have some similarity to a stingray, but it has more of a snub nose - so it's a little slower than a stingray

I have had many DX Panthers, but never a Champion one. I not a big fan of Champion plastic, but I wouldn't mind a Pro Panther... the would be sweeeeeeeet.

Agreed. Why would you want (your ONLY choice to be) smooth Champion plastic when a sure grip is essential for controlling tight approach/escape shots, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is exactly what a small diameter understable midrange disc is for? A Pro plastic version would've made much more sense.

Although, it must be said that the Champ Panther makes for one hard-nosed roller.

My new Champ Panther is not the disc my old DX was, but it is still in my bag and a main goto disc for that awful drive recovery/approach. And the ability to roll out of dense cabbage 30' before the pin and have it carve left and track right up to the basket is a beautiful thing. Love this disc. :thmbup:

Latest posts