• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Colossus Review

I am actually a fan of Gstar plastic. Especially for fairway drivers. It really allows you to rip and helps with accuracy. Sure, it doesn't hold up like champion but, that doesn't stop you from carrying your classic and dx plastics does it? Bring on the Gstar Innova! .......but don't stop making Star and Champion. Thanks

It. Costs. The. Same. As. Normal. Star.

It. Wears. Worse. Than. Pro.

It. Is. Bad. Plastic.

I think this is more to do with baseline being generally more understable out of the box and especially upon seasoning.

I'm not referring to brand new discs.

When discs break in they get cuts/scrapes/abrasions of all shapes and sizes and those abrasions act like dimples on a golf ball. *Breaking up the surrounding air creating less turbulence on the disc itself, resulting in added glide. Champion (or other comparable premium plastics) does not get the same quantity or style of scratches/abrasions as DX so the same 170g FAF Champ vs. DX with matching PLH in 6/10 condition will not fly the same.

*someone can explain this way more in depth than myself, I'm just keeping it simple.

A 6/10 Champ FB will probably still have some beef.
A 6/10 DX FB probably will fly stable to flippy.
I heard someone say that premium plastics have a higher drag coefficient than base plastics, and that is where the stability difference comes from.

I'm not referring to brand new discs.

When discs break in they get cuts/scrapes/abrasions of all shapes and sizes and those abrasions act like dimples on a golf ball. *Breaking up the surrounding air creating less turbulence on the disc itself, resulting in added glide. Champion (or other comparable premium plastics) does not get the same quantity or style of scratches/abrasions as DX so the same 170g FAF Champ vs. DX with matching PLH in 6/10 condition will not fly the same.

*someone can explain this way more in depth than myself, I'm just keeping it simple.

Yes, this is true. Sorry, I miss interpreted what you meant. Baseline plastic certainly has its merits for properties such as this. I used to shy away from it, but have come to love and appreciate what baseline can do, especially as a compliment to premium in the same mold.

I heard someone say that premium plastics have a higher drag coefficient than base plastics, and that is where the stability difference comes from.

Premium is slicker and has less texture than baseline; the texture/roughness will break up the air like gouges and scrapes would, on a much more even but with much less impact on the flight because that kind of texture on baseline is nearly microscopic.

IDK, a smooth wing, of any kind, will have less resistance to airflow than a wing with surface roughness. That roughness will cause less stable flight though. In the case of discs, more turn(yaw) and what appears to be enhanced glide.

It. Costs. The. Same. As. Normal. Star.

It. Wears. Worse. Than. Pro.

It. Is. Bad. Plastic.

I'm not sure why you've had such bad luck but I have 2 factory store TB's and 2 Rhynos that have survived two full seasons with zero damage beyond normal wear and tear with one exception - one of the TB's had a small gouge from hitting asphalt. They have lasted much much better than any Pro I've thrown. Many tree hits and even some chains at high velocity.

For fairways and approach discs it works great.

I'm not sure why you've had such bad luck but I have 2 factory store TB's and 2 Rhynos that have survived two full seasons with zero damage beyond normal wear and tear with one exception - one of the TB's had a small gouge from hitting asphalt. They have lasted much much better than any Pro I've thrown. Many tree hits and even some chains at high velocity.

For fairways and approach discs it works great.

Same here. go figure.

G star doesnt like roads or metal signs etc. Deals with trees hits awesome imo. Much better shape retention then pro also.

I like pro. I use one pro destroyer and i dont throw it where itll hit a tree early on. I dont worry about tacoing a g star on a early tree.

Attachments

• BG 2016 Innova colors.jpg
    BG 2016 Innova colors.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 52
  • BG 2016 Innova two discs.jpg
    BG 2016 Innova two discs.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 47
Here's a plug for GStar. Warning: You may not agree with my personal opinions.
I have a couple GStar discs I throw regularly including the Thunderbird and Destroyer. I recognize that they tend to be a bit less overstable than Champ or Star counterparts, which is precisely the reason I use them. Aesthetically, they barely wear at all, and the feel of the disc is great (unless you have greasy hands, which makes all discs slick). The GStar Thunderbird in particular is a very controllable straight flying driver.
[For reference, my distance record is 515ft and my average driving distance is 425-450ft.]

Here's a plug for GStar. Warning: You may not agree with my personal opinions.
I have a couple GStar discs I throw regularly including the Thunderbird and Destroyer. I recognize that they tend to be a bit less overstable than Champ or Star counterparts, which is precisely the reason I use them. Aesthetically, they barely wear at all, and the feel of the disc is great (unless you have greasy hands, which makes all discs slick). The GStar Thunderbird in particular is a very controllable straight flying driver.
[For reference, my distance record is 515ft and my average driving distance is 425-450ft.][/QU.

I also find they are more consistent out of the box than any other plastic and terrific in the cold. Worth my old dry hands they grip awesomely. Pro is my max distance plastic and champ is nice but gstar has made it into the fairway driver and driver slots.

Latest posts