• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Nova

Another disc that would work for a Overmold version of a Nova without a bead is using the Classic Grid Aviar mold as the start for the disc.

Last edited:
There's no disc like that. a Rhyno isn't even close. I use a Element discs Iridium and that's pretty close, but its 2/2/0/2 , im talking a nova that has better HSS and a little more fade. but still with glide and slow. Other OS putters are not what im talking about - just let it go. :\

P2, aviar driver, max weight champ dart, whale, etc. There's plenty?

Isn't a Whale a + mold of an Aviar but that the disc was just different enough that Innova could not call it a Aviar?

The Whale is an Aviar top with the V-tech bottom (convex rim and bead). The Stud, Colt, VRoc, and VCobra (among others) also have the V-tech undersides. The Whale is an underrated disc, IMHO.

Last edited:
Another disc that would work for a Overmold version of a Nova without a bead is using the Classic Grid Aviar mold as the start for the disc.

I'm not sure that would have the overstability desired. The classic grid Aviars are not as overstable as the P2 and AvX3 are...

P2, aviar driver, max weight champ dart, whale, etc. There's plenty?

Again, I'm aware there are other putters that have a little more stability. But they aren't shaped like the Nova. the Closest thing I've found is an Element discs Iridium. A Dart is faster than the Nova and not more OS, Whale is not more OS (I even tried one in Glow Champ and its just straight) Aviar Driver is a good option but again NOT a more OS Nova - Literally asking for a Nova clone with more weight distribution on the top to create more OS flight, just a tick - :doh:

Again, I'm aware there are other putters that have a little more stability. But they aren't shaped like the Nova. the Closest thing I've found is an Element discs Iridium. A Dart is faster than the Nova and not more OS, Whale is not more OS (I even tried one in Glow Champ and its just straight) Aviar Driver is a good option but again NOT a more OS Nova - Literally asking for a Nova clone with more weight distribution on the top to create more OS flight, just a tick - :doh:
Ok i gotcha now. You like the feel of the nova. I'm just not used to people wanting that same exact feel of the nova. Im a die hard nova thrower but I can't say i love the feel of it, I've just gotten used to it . Do you think a champ nova would be more os similar to how the champ atlas are a little more os? (At least the ones I've thrown)

You're right about the Whale... the V-tech keeps it much straighter than one would otherwise think it'd be. I said on other threads that the Whale flies (not feels but flies) like the Warden when putting with it.

Let me ask a question to clarify: are you seeking an overmolded disc like the Nova, but more OS? Or just a disc that is shaped like a Nova (basically an Aviar P&A) but more OS?

Ok i gotcha now. You like the feel of the nova. I'm just not used to people wanting that same exact feel of the nova. Im a die hard nova thrower but I can't say i love the feel of it, I've just gotten used to it . Do you think a champ nova would be more os similar to how the champ atlas are a little more os? (At least the ones I've thrown)

That's a thought actually, a Nova made in different material? That could do it. IDK, it really isn't THAT crucial, I'm using a Serpent or Iridium or scale for upshots but the Nova is a unique discs I started using and kinda like it, unless its windy idk, I have SO many discs I don't need anything, haha. but always throwing around ideas ;):thmbup:

That's a thought actually, a Nova made in different material? That could do it. IDK, it really isn't THAT crucial, I'm using a Serpent or Iridium or scale for upshots but the Nova is a unique discs I started using and kinda like it, unless its windy idk, I have SO many discs I don't need anything, haha. but always throwing around ideas ;):thmbup:
Hm, if they could make a nova that flew well in the wind i would be estactic. However i feel like the reason the nova sucks in the wind is it's profile and depth, not necessarily its stability.

Since Dunipace has said the Nova is an Aviar, why not just make a Big Bead version of the Nova for more stability?

I take it ALL back, just get an Element Iridium or RDG Scale and you're set ;) If you haven't heard of those discs, check em out (Also the RDG Serpent!)

Serpent is a Glideless Nova (with a touch more stability)

Just a comment that the Nova was being used by a LOT of pros at DeLa at the Memorial Cup tournament. Seems to be getting more and more popular...

So what is the deal with the Nova as far as anyone can tell? I mean, take the Classic Aviar - I'd say solidly a 0/0 disc. This thing as I believe was stated by Dave himself is just an overmolded aviar. Is there anything really special/different/magical about it as compared to a grid aviar, or is it just the case that you get a grid aviar flight with a mix of driver pro and XT?

So what is the deal with the Nova as far as anyone can tell? I mean, take the Classic Aviar - I'd say solidly a 0/0 disc. This thing as I believe was stated by Dave himself is just an overmolded aviar. Is there anything really special/different/magical about it as compared to a grid aviar, or is it just the case that you get a grid aviar flight with a mix of driver pro and XT?

The Classic Aviar while being very neutral, still flies like a normal disc as you would expect. With enough power, it will flip up from a hyzer to straight. It can exhibit some turn and fade during its flight as you adjust the power you apply to it. The Nova is a lot more stubborn through a great range of release speed. If you throw it on a hyzer, it will fly on a hyzer the entire time and will not flip up to flat. If you throw it flat, it will fly straight the entire time and not turn over, etc. It's very good at holding the release angle for the entirety of its flight. This is why pros love it so much - there is no thinking involved. Put it on an angle, and it will fly on that angle until it hits the ground.

The Classic Aviar while being very neutral, still flies like a normal disc as you would expect. With enough power, it will flip up from a hyzer to straight. It can exhibit some turn and fade during its flight as you adjust the power you apply to it. The Nova is a lot more stubborn through a great range of release speed. If you throw it on a hyzer, it will fly on a hyzer the entire time and will not flip up to flat. If you throw it flat, it will fly straight the entire time and not turn over, etc. It's very good at holding the release angle for the entirety of its flight. This is why pros love it so much - there is no thinking involved. Put it on an angle, and it will fly on that angle until it hits the ground.

I guess I wonder... why? As far as I can tell, there's no special sauce to be found in Innova's overmold tech. I guess Dave just knows his stuff well enough to be able to decide to produce a truly neutral flight, and decided to make it an overmold. That being said he has also stated that figuring out how to make the overmolds well was one of the most difficult/expensive/time consuming production processes they've been through. (EDIT: I want to cite the reddit ama on youtube as a source of this info, can't be certain)

Part of why I pose this question is that I would probably prefer this flight pattern in a more traditional disc. Not a big fan of XT or the injection nubbins.

I guess I wonder... why? As far as I can tell, there's no special sauce to be found in Innova's overmold tech. I guess Dave just knows his stuff well enough to be able to decide to produce a truly neutral flight, and decided to make it an overmold. That being said he has also stated that figuring out how to make the overmolds well was one of the most difficult/expensive/time consuming production processes they've been through. (EDIT: I want to cite the reddit ama on youtube as a source of this info, can't be certain)

Part of why I pose this question is that I would probably prefer this flight pattern in a more traditional disc. Not a big fan of XT or the injection nubbins.

I don't know enough about physics, but I have a suspicion that the overmold itself allows you to vary the plastic density/mass between the flight plate and the wing of the disc, which in turn allows you to control the gyroscopic effects on disc flight. You can make a very light flight plate with most of the weight focused on the wing, or a very heavy flight plate with a light wing. These are things you can't really control as much with a normal disc where everything is part of the same mold (all you can do is vary the thickness of the flight plate itself to increase/decrease mass).

I don't know enough about physics, but I have a suspicion that the overmold itself allows you to vary the plastic density/mass between the flight plate and the wing of the disc, which in turn allows you to control the gyroscopic effects on disc flight. You can make a very light flight plate with most of the weight focused on the wing, or a very heavy flight plate with a light wing. These are things you can't really control as much with a normal disc where everything is part of the same mold (all you can do is vary the thickness of the flight plate itself to increase/decrease mass).

Well that's the GYRO special sauce that MVP has the patent on now. Dave has said there's no additional (intentional) gyro effect from the overmold.

Latest posts