• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Nova

Those Halloween glow aviars feel a like a stiff nova without the overmold IIRC.

Thinking of ordering a Nova from OTB, what sort of dome and stiffness should I be looking for?

the only problem (inconsistencies) with novas is when the overmold doesn't line up with the flight plate & there is a little ridge there; that will screw with the feel & grip, like a little unintentional thumb track

Bump...

I've just noticed that Novas are out of stock nearly everywhere. That includes looking directly on the Innova Pro Shop, Disc Golf United, and on Innova's dealer stock-at-a-glance sheets. Of course Covid impacted their production, but could this be a sign that Novas are going OOP? I've heard from dealers that sales of them crashed once McBeth left, and I certainly see far fewer people in my area throwing them.

Just to shake up my game, I added one to my bag recently. I still hate the feel, but boy, do they fly beautifully. As everyone says, they do exactly as you ask, it's an amazing thing and there's nothing else like it.

If i had to guess . . NOVA was the disc that took the biggest sales drop of all Innova discs after McBeth left.. . (and his putter)

Everybody threw or at least own a Nova a few years back. . .now i hardly ever see them on the course anymore

It's still gotta sell better than the Atlas though. They were pushing that one not too long ago.

I've never actually thrown one but all I heard about them was good. It's probably just COVID related.

Bump...

I've just noticed that Novas are out of stock nearly everywhere. That includes looking directly on the Innova Pro Shop, Disc Golf United, and on Innova's dealer stock-at-a-glance sheets. Of course Covid impacted their production, but could this be a sign that Novas are going OOP? I've heard from dealers that sales of them crashed once McBeth left, and I certainly see far fewer people in my area throwing them.

Just to shake up my game, I added one to my bag recently. I still hate the feel, but boy, do they fly beautifully. As everyone says, they do exactly as you ask, it's an amazing thing and there's nothing else like it.

There are 119 Novas in stock at Infinite Discs at this moment. All are listed at 175g.

I had a stack of 10 Novas for field work, but didn't particularly care for the feel and after a while I didn't find they did enough differently compared to other options to keep them. Ended up selling them all except for one that has a swirly pink flight plate with a green overmold rim: a watermelon. I tried other discs alongside the Nova to compare them. I even tried to test the whole "they stick where they land" thing by throwing onto various hardpacked dirt flat areas and slopes from various distances about 200' to 250' away. They do, but guess what: lots of putters land softly when you throw them at the right angle relative to the landing zone. Maybe they have more tolerance for mistakes, but I prefer using a disc that feels better in hand and learning to match the angle to the ground. They do fly nicely but so do many other discs when thrown well. The most unique thing I found about them is that they make a distinct funky percussive sound when they hit the ground at certain angles. I think a lot of the mystique was from watching McBeth throw great shots with a Nova, but it's McBeth; he can throw great shots with whatever.

Last edited:
The problem with the Nova is the same problem Axiom(MVP) has - bad color combinations. I picked up a Nova and was very impressed with how it flew and the hit-and-stick but it has yellow core with red overmold which can be hard to find in certain situations. So I started to shop around for a better color combo. The good colors were sold out leaving only the less desirable color combos.

I get that McBeth was able to sell a lot of Novas but if Innova would just make more of them in the good color combinations people will keep buying them. Real it isn't even a combination it is just making more with white cores, though white core with a pink overmold would be a good seller.

The Nova was in the top 50 bestsellers on Infinite so far this year. I would think it's safe.

Bumping this up.

I bought a Nova today on a whim and took it out and played a round. I've thrown some pretty neutral discs but this one really takes the cake. Need a hyzer? No problem. Dead straight approach? Covered. Short turnover that doesn't pan out? Got it. The glide is crazy yet somehow hitting the correct distance proved very easy. It stuck the landing almost every time with little or no ground play. It's going to stay in my bag for now. Not sure why I never thought to try one out before.

Has anyone had a Nova break? I bought one to mess around with and potentially fill a specific gap in my game, but on my second field testing session in the park I hit a tree and the flight plate cracked where it meets the rim. The shot was about '125 so it was thrown pretty soft. Is it worth contacting Innova or the retailer? I understand it's my fault if I was driving the thing 250+ and hit first available, but this was a slow approach shot with a brand new disc.

Has anyone had a Nova break? I bought one to mess around with and potentially fill a specific gap in my game, but on my second field testing session in the park I hit a tree and the flight plate cracked where it meets the rim. The shot was about '125 so it was thrown pretty soft. Is it worth contacting Innova or the retailer? I understand it's my fault if I was driving the thing 250+ and hit first available, but this was a slow approach shot with a brand new disc.

That is surprising; I used to throw Novas and they were quite durable. I spent some time playing around with throwing a stack of them on spike hyzers into hard ground in order to hear the unique percussive sound they make. If I hit first available (think 50-60 feet away on a 250 foot hole) I'd expect some substantial warping but not an outright crack.

The new novas ARE TRASH. I've been throwing and putting with novas since they basically came out. I've broken like two old ones that I left out in the sun. But learned better and don't throw my practice putters anymore because I leave em outside.

I bought 6 factory seconds like a month and a half ago and have already broken two with a upshot style throw into a trampoline pole from like 80 ft away. At this point I'm going to wait until they all break and send them back.

I'm going to keep a lookout for older runs because I don't know what I would do without novas. I can putt with anything but the nova feels the best for me.

Yeah the new novas are trash. They are too brittle with zero give. In my experience after a few tree hits they become prone to breaking. I've since moved on.

This disc flies like a classic aviar with 0 glide and kooky nubs under the flightplate. No thanks!

As much as I was digging the Nova that I picked up recently, I ended up pulling it from my bag. Apparently I am losing some of my finesse with putters and it was a little squirrelly for me. Going to stick to something that masks my bad form so I can continue to throw like a caveman.