• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Sonic

Anybody have any of the heavy (above 165) sonics for sale?

I have no clue why Innova quit producing them. Shoot, I bought four or five a year.

Me Either. They do not make them above 145 grams now at least that is what I find 140-145 grams for the Sonic.

This makes me think they will try to soon pass the 112 gram 235 Hero off as a Sonic by just putting a stamp on it. Hero discs are made by Innova for dog use.

GG has brought some hype around them and it seems like heavier 170+ ones are even more difficult to find now. I pray mine doesn't break anytime soon.

Should have stocked up on them when they were everywhere for $8.99. Does anyone have heavier ones for sale?

If you wanna talk Sonic, you can talk to me. I have 100 175g Sonics custom-made for my wedding party. XD

Plus 16 originals in the basement. I stocked up bc I love them and saw this coming.

Willing to sell some extras, feel free to hit me up [email protected]

Attachments

• 379768DF-641E-4315-A430-B9F62FBDC756.jpg
    379768DF-641E-4315-A430-B9F62FBDC756.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 33970DF2-BD8B-413E-BB18-C3239C51972A.jpg
    33970DF2-BD8B-413E-BB18-C3239C51972A.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 91
Forgot to mention they are all Star plastic. Never released before as star. For those who know the woes of the "easily cracked Sonic rim", no longer!

I've been away for a while, but it's great to see lids are still a thing. I will drive with the sonic if I need a slow turn for a short drive.

Once upon a time I asked Dave Dunipace on the PDGA boards why they don't make the disc in better plastic. He only mentioned the other HeroDisc molds which are not what I was asking for. Eh, life goes on.

speaking of life goes on the Swedes got it right with the Lat64 Bite. That is a legit Opto Sonic. Slightly shorter and lighter but just narsty in the air. I need find that disc again.

I really did like the Sonic, it was a huge crutch for a low-speed turnover approach shot that has eluded me from day one.

I learned to play on a pitch 'n putt and there was one shot in particular that made me seeth with 20-something deluded athletic rage. 163' of the tee. Elevated tee to a basket by a creek. Blind shot looking into the shule, only way around is to your left. No route to the right. I'd stand there and watch guys who could actually play park the thing with beat Aviars or P-38's, stuff like that. No matter what I tried, my shots either stalled and hyzered out or they came in hot and ended up in the creek. I'd give up 1-2 strokes on that hole every day. It was a simple shot. I watched people execute that simple shot every day like it was nothing. I couldn't hit it.

The Sonic just magically gave me that shot. It was "can't make that shot/here, try this disc/can make that shot." I'd been playing disc golf without the ability to make that shot for 15ish years. It was so great to be able to do it.

Of course I tried to get it to do things it couldn't do (like expect it to work as a putter) and what not. Once I figured out it had limitations and just used it for what it was good for, it was set in my bag for a long time. I don't throw one now because I ran out of them. I've been throwing a Lightning Upshot, which is kinda between a Polecat and a Sonic. I learned enough throwing the Sonic that I can actually hit that short turnover approach fairly regularly with a beat putter, so the Upshot works fine for that shot now. I'd probably go back to the Sonic if they showed back up, though.

I really did like the Sonic, it was a huge crutch for a low-speed turnover approach shot that has eluded me from day one.

I learned to play on a pitch 'n putt and there was one shot in particular that made me seeth with 20-something deluded athletic rage. 163' of the tee. Elevated tee to a basket by a creek. Blind shot looking into the shule, only way around is to your left. No route to the right. I'd stand there and watch guys who could actually play park the thing with beat Aviars or P-38's, stuff like that. No matter what I tried, my shots either stalled and hyzered out or they came in hot and ended up in the creek. I'd give up 1-2 strokes on that hole every day. It was a simple shot. I watched people execute that simple shot every day like it was nothing. I couldn't hit it.

The Sonic just magically gave me that shot. It was "can't make that shot/here, try this disc/can make that shot." I'd been playing disc golf without the ability to make that shot for 15ish years. It was so great to be able to do it.

Of course I tried to get it to do things it couldn't do (like expect it to work as a putter) and what not. Once I figured out it had limitations and just used it for what it was good for, it was set in my bag for a long time. I don't throw one now because I ran out of them. I've been throwing a Lightning Upshot, which is kinda between a Polecat and a Sonic. I learned enough throwing the Sonic that I can actually hit that short turnover approach fairly regularly with a beat putter, so the Upshot works fine for that shot now. I'd probably go back to the Sonic if they showed back up, though.

I have seen the heavy 175 gram Sonic's from when disc first came out work as a putter Though they stopped making those quickly soon after and the guy in town bought out all the heaviest weight discs in town, the 165-169 range most of those being 166 or 167 grams. He had about 10 of them. I am not sure if he ever found out about the dog version, the lightweight premium molds of the Sonic. His main putter from the 40-50 foot range and closer wind changing that was soft DX Rhyno's or he made the DX Rhyno the soft DX Rhyno in a car or a porch in the summer, first one he made like that was in a microwave for 3-5 seconds but the rest he did the other way, they softened up the plastic better that way.

picture.php

OK, so...yeah, you can putt with one. I mean, technically you can putt with a Turbo Putt if you want to. I've just found after extensive research with missed putts (and I do mean extensive) that a beveled-edge putter it less likely to kick off chains than a lid. They seem to penetrate the chains and stick better. If I was a great putter who could hit perfect dead-center putts all the time I probably wouldn't care, but A LOT of my putts are of the "that's barely going to hit the edge of the chains" variety and the very low% of those that stick gets even lower using a lid IMO. So I don't putt with one. They are great for touch approaches, though. That's what I use them for.

picture.php

OK, so...yeah, you can putt with one. I mean, technically you can putt with a Turbo Putt if you want to. I've just found after extensive research with missed putts (and I do mean extensive) that a beveled-edge putter it less likely to kick off chains than a lid. They seem to penetrate the chains and stick better. If I was a great putter who could hit perfect dead-center putts all the time I probably wouldn't care, but A LOT of my putts are of the "that's barely going to hit the edge of the chains" variety and the very low% of those that stick gets even lower using a lid IMO. So I don't putt with one. They are great for touch approaches, though. That's what I use them for.

You need more the heavier Sonic's to penatrate the chains but that is only the 170+ gram weight of discs otherwise the discs tend to bounce off the chains more on softer not max putts.

If I had not found the Magnet a few years before I might have ended up with the Sonic as my Putter getting rid of the Putt'r, if only thy made that disc in Pro D or regular X the Putt'r would not have the top concave in when it breaks in just a bit like what happens to all the Putt'r discs. When the Putt'r breaks in a tiny bit, the disc has little glide and is best for the placement type putters rather then float or spin putters.

A 165 Magnet or Aviar will penetrate chains better than a 175 Sonic...

A 165 Magnet or Aviar will penetrate chains better than a 175 Sonic...
I'd go farther. A 165g (insert name of any beveled edge putter) will penetrate chains better than a 175g (insert name of any lid). It's a better design. It's why everybody uses them. There were small-diameter lid-type discs around in the 80's. People switched to using Aviars for a reason. If they weren't better for putting, people would have never switched to using them.

picture.php

Your statement aligns with the thought that a soft, tacky putter is going to stick to chains better, right? Or that such and such putter or style of putting is more prone to spit outs or cut throughs, or rollaways or long come-backers etc. I would of course say all else held equal, its best to mitigate the likelihood of any of the above results occurring. However, how far are you willing to deviate from the specific putter that feels best in your hand; the one that you get the most consistent release and flight from? That is to say, how much consistency/accuracy are you willing to sacrifice to lower your percentage of chain outs, for example? If given the choice of a slippery lucid judge that I feel comfortable with, vs a supersoft classic judge that is way less likely to cut through or roll, but that I am much less comfortable with, I'll go with the lucid every time. (this is just an example - I prefer prime :D) Same for if someone is able to find the chains with the Sonic more often than a beveled edge disc, it would make sense to putt with the Sonic to me, unless the threat of big rollaways and epic chain outs was ridiculously high, which is just not the case.

EDIT: not advocating for anyone to try putting with the Sonic - I agree that the beveled edge is clearly superior and I would hope for my sake that I would be more comfortable and accurate with an Aviar anyway.

Your statement aligns with the thought that a soft, tacky putter is going to stick to chains better, right? Or that such and such putter or style of putting is more prone to spit outs or cut throughs, or rollaways or long come-backers etc.
I don't think so. I mean, the beveled-edged putters stick better than lids due to an improvement in disc design. I don't think that is a very controversial thing to say, it's a pretty observable phenomenon if you try putting with both. So I'm pretty comfortable saying that as a fact. At least as close as you can get to a fact in disc selection. Soft putters sticking better is kinda junk science; it's a cool theory but it's hard to observe it working. There wasn't enough of a difference that you had a huge switch of player to the softer putter plastic when it came out. It's more of a preference thing, and has never been widely considered a fact of disc golf life. Differences in putting style don't really fit in a comparison of one disc to the other IMO. It's apples/oranges.

Your statement aligns with the thought that a soft, tacky putter is going to stick to chains better, right? Or that such and such putter or style of putting is more prone to spit outs or cut throughs, or rollaways or long come-backers etc. I would of course say all else held equal, its best to mitigate the likelihood of any of the above results occurring. However, how far are you willing to deviate from the specific putter that feels best in your hand; the one that you get the most consistent release and flight from? That is to say, how much consistency/accuracy are you willing to sacrifice to lower your percentage of chain outs, for example? If given the choice of a slippery lucid judge that I feel comfortable with, vs a supersoft classic judge that is way less likely to cut through or roll, but that I am much less comfortable with, I'll go with the lucid every time. (this is just an example - I prefer prime :D) Same for if someone is able to find the chains with the Sonic more often than a beveled edge disc, it would make sense to putt with the Sonic to me, unless the threat of big rollaways and epic chain outs was ridiculously high, which is just not the case.

EDIT: not advocating for anyone to try putting with the Sonic - I agree that the beveled edge is clearly superior and I would hope for my sake that I would be more comfortable and accurate with an Aviar anyway.

The disc is so breakable in DX that I would not use that as a putter. I would find the 130 champion Sonic 215 mold at 124 g +/- 2 maybe a 235 in G-Stara 136 +/- 2 so I can have a less breakable putter for myself just in case I hit the basket. Yeah I hit the bottom Catcher part a bit when I am missing low. Usually I miss high and miss the basket entirely if I miss the basket chains, pole in that area.

Last edited:
Any word on when the Double G sig Sonic will hit the market?

When I asked about them their response was

"Yes, that (GG Sonic) is in the works with Innova. The only problem is that it is in a long line of manufacturing projects for Innova, so those likely won't show up until the year is winding down (we're hoping for Black Friday).

-Todd"

Also from the comments in GG's ITB. (attachment)

Attachments

• gg sonics.PNG
    gg sonics.PNG
    41.4 KB · Views: 61
If only I hadn't had kids and decided to forgo a career in favor of disc golf it could be the SonicGuy signature Sonic. I have been throwing theae for years, get your own disc GG :(

Latest posts