• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Whale

Totally different. P1x is way shallower and rounder nose. Whale is less glidey, slower, and less overstable

I normally do all P&A with Wardens. I picked up two 175 DX whales at the local shop and then took them out to test them. When I was first throwing them they felt great in the hand, but after bit the shape didn't feel right when putting or throwing. It's weird, but I'd rather throw a BB Aviar if I were going to get a driving putter and I'd rather get a mcpro if I was going to putt. I just don't see these meshing with my game, might keep em for forehand as I didn't try that yet. Not a bad disc per se, just in no way meshed with my game

So now that people have had even more time to check this putter out. I am interested in how people like it as a driving putter.

the XT plastic is a huge selling point to me. I like it for shorter shots 150 feet or so with a fan grip. nice and stable (hss) but not too much fade. good for long birdie runs and shorter holes. I still prefer an XD or a rhyno for longer drives because the whale has a deeper profile and I find it hard to put a lot on it. I have the same problem with KC aviars, I putt with them but I don't throw them off the tee.

I like the DX Whale just fine. It is, like WW said, nicely HSS without much fade. I like it for straight runs from 100-150 where I've got no room to work a disc with more LSF. But it isn't making the regular rotation. Yet.

I've had a chance to to mess around with the Whale in XT plastic the last few days and I am very impressed. Off the Tee this disc hits whatever mark you are trying to throw it on, as a guy who sometimes struggles with O.A.T. when driving with putters, the whale showed a supreme amount of high speed stability. No matter how hard i threw it (max distance with this disc for me was about 250'-260') it would not turn and burn. Even when i throwing it into a gusty headwind it would simply turn over but instead of flipping into a cut roller it would glide out the line all the way to the ground.

On top of the high speed stability, this disc showed very little low speed fade. At the end of flight when thrown flight I only saw maybe 1 or 2' worth of movement to the left before the disc landed. If placed on an anhyzer line the disc would hold the line all the way to the ground. I was very impressed with it's shot shaping ability.

A word on the XT plastic, I decided to see how tough this plastic really was so I decided to work on some upshots and putter drives in the middle of the asphalt parking lot behind my work. Simply put if the plastic can hold up to that kind of abuse there really isn't anything on a normal course that should put this disc out of the game for good. I was very surprised how well it held up, despite intentionally forcing the disc to land on the bead several different times, i found very little wear on the bead (some black discoloration was the only major effect on that part of the disc). The disc did seem to pick up road rashes on the nose quite easily, but the surprising part is that I did not notice a major change in the flight of the disc.

To summarize I was pleasantly surprised with this disc, and while i primarily use Rhyno's for upshots and putt's inside the circle, this disc could easily find a place in my bag for short straight drives and putt's outside the circle that could use a bit of glide to get there.

Played 9 holes yesterday w only the dx whale. Found it to be right in the middle of a rhyno and Aviar pna. More glide than rhyno, more stability than Aviar. What I liked about this disc is the rim/wing. I could comfortably grip this like a mid range which opened up a lot of shots for me in the 200-225 range. This could be a great putter if you only want one.

I'm really just posting in this thread because it is a far superior thread about The Whale, and I'm jealous that this "re-name the Whale" thread is getting so much play.

Threw my Whale off the tee twice yesterday, parked them both. It's just a great disc. Slow, straight, and rewards smooth form. I'm using it on long approaches that I want to run at the basket, and on putter drives. XT plastic feels great.

And Whales are some of the coolest organisms on the planet, period. You want a different name, go talk about the Wombat.

I'm really just posting in this thread because it is a far superior thread about The Whale, and I'm jealous that this "re-name the Whale" thread is getting so much play.

Threw my Whale off the tee twice yesterday, parked them both. It's just a great disc. Slow, straight, and rewards smooth form. I'm using it on long approaches that I want to run at the basket, and on putter drives. XT plastic feels great.

And Whales are some of the coolest organisms on the planet, period. You want a different name, go talk about the Wombat.

sorry for the rename play. here are my thoughts on this disc.

For a couple years now, I can't seem to find a disc that I really like throwing off the tee other than the Wizard or a Zone for real stable putter throws. This disc just kicked out my Wizard which I thought was never going to happen. I put with a beadless aviar but have a hard time with a no bead for throwing and the big bead aviar in KC plastic beats in too fast for me and I personally don't feel that comfortable throwing it either.

I throw with a fan grip and a power grip. The Whale can really handle power grip which I use for 200 to 250 and this is what I was looking for is to find a putter that I can power grip and have the disc go straight and on top of it, this disc has some fade but not too much which is great for landing near where it hits the ground and considering that you can throw it with a power grip. This disc is impressive and you can power grip it!

Like I mentioned before, personally I think this disc is a special disc off the tee and was hoping for a name change because of my fear that it might not catch on due to the name. The name does make sense and it just might be me that has a problem with the name.

I just bought a champion fundraiser Whale that I haven't had a chance to throw it but looking forward to checking it out.

Got a couple rounds in this week with a DX Whale in the bag, and liking it already for approaches and longer outside-the-circle putts (hit basket on a couple of 40-footers, but couldn't get one to drop). Blue plastic, with green stamp; looks pretty sweet.

I just bought a champion fundraiser Whale that I haven't had a chance to throw it but looking forward to checking it out.

I tend to prefer premium plastics, and wasn't aware these were offered as fundraisers. Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered a champ glow CFR and a black proto XT (love black putters!) from disc golf values. Good looking out!

Bump. What an interestingly odd disc. :thmbup:

Used it as my circle putter and threw it a few times. Wow this thing is HSS! If it was more rounded it would be a Wizard stand in. Kind of like the depth especially for pitch putting.

Went in to feel up a Polecat the other day and walked out with a DX Whale. So far I'm pretty impressed with it, it felt a bit odd, but really fills the hand nicely for driving. Putts very similar to my Yeti's, but I'll need a bit more time with it so it's not another one of those "new Putter Syndrome" phases.

Anyone thrown the G-Star Whale yet? Saw these on the shelf too.

Yeah, have a g* whale. Unfortunately the plastic is not very nice in my opinion. It is floppier even than typical g*, while simultaneously not having as good a grip as most g* plastic has. If they had some regular star plastic ones, I'd be all over it. They are a little more over stable than the xt ones.

Good to know. I saw them but didn't fondle them, after bad luck with a G* Aviar Driver I wasn't really interested, but after I started throwing the DX Whale, it got me wondering.

Latest posts