• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Wombat

I was able to test a wombat today. It is quite flippy. The one I threw had a turn that I would have placed in the -2.5 to -3 range. Thrown hard, flat, and slightly high it turned right and landed about 45 degrees off the line on which it was thrown. The distance wasn't all that great due to the quick turn, maybe 225. I wasn't able to get enough throws to play with hyzer flips, but I could see this being a good woods disc. Gstar still sucks- i'll try it again in star but otherwise it didn't tempt me.

The biggest problem with your appraisal of the wombat is where you say "thrown hard", I know because I was experiencing the same 45 degree turn... Then I kept playing with and realized it is a quintessential "touch" disc... I learned really quickly that speed 5 doesn't mean it has a speed of 5 out of a possible 14, but that it flies with the turn and fade characteristics (-1,0) when thrown at speed 5. Slow that arm speed down and hyzer flip that thing.... It will turn up flat and glide dead nuts straight for a long time... Still working on my finesse, but once I realized I needed to back down on power, she's been getting more and more impressive.... It's also really fun to watch fly on a huge sky anny

I went out to the practice field with a couple of foxbats and the wombat today. Overall, I can't say I am impressed. It flies like a foxbat that weighs a few more grams, or has a little bit of flashing on it. The wombat is 175, and I threw it beside a 171 and 180 foxbat that are both pretty worn. It holds a tiny bit more hyzer early on a 100% throw, but still gets up flat and then turns, especially with a little breeze. The hand feel is a little better for the powered down shots I was making with the fox before, but I can use several discs for that shot equally well. I will try it in place of the 171 fox I have had in the bag for a while and see if it sticks. At least it looks a lot cooler, having a sweet protostamp on it and all.

yeah because we all know how well the Foxbat has done :rolleyes: :p

With Innova's competitors filling in the speed 8/9 slots with a nice selection of stabilities, very US to very OS, they felt they had to revamp the hot TeeBird mold to create the TeeBird3 and TL3. Then made a version of the other popular mold, the Firebird, gave it a bit more glide and little less fade and Voila: a new version of a seasoned Firebird, aka Thunderbird. Now they take a recent not so popular mold, the Foxbat, and gave it a bead and Bam: the Wombat.

This is why I'm trying other molds from other companies. This is like what Intel did back in the days. They took their older CPU's, overclocked them and sold them as new models. Didn't like it then, not liking it now.

Last edited:
Wont be buying a wombat, but tweaking molds to come up with new molds is pretty much standard. the whole 3 thing is a little annoying, but adjust molds is totally standard imo

With Innova's competitors filling in the speed 8/9 slots with a nice selection of stabilities, very US to very OS, they felt they had to revamp the hot TeeBird mold to create the TeeBird3 and TL3. Then made a version of the other popular mold, the Firebird, gave it a bit more glide and little less fade and Voila: a new version of a seasoned Firebird, aka Thunderbird. Now they take a recent not so popular mold, the Foxbat, and gave it a bead and Bam: the Wombat.

This is why I'm trying other molds from other companies. This is like what Intel did back in the days. They took their older CPU's, overclocked them and sold them as new models. Didn't like it then, not liking it now.

So you're a fan of the new brands who are just now filling their lineups, something innova did 10 years ago? And you're knocking innova for tweaking that 10 year old line up that the other companies are just now catching up to? That's odd

I've yet to throw the Wombat, as it arrived in the mail Thursday and we're in the midst of a snowstorm currently.

I have to say this thread has been amusing. I have to wonder why anybody really gives a **** about a disc's name. The name doesn't make a bit of difference in how it flies, and how it flies is what matters, I reckon. Saw somebody posted a pic of a Moray, as if the name were an indictment of anything--um, it makes it clear that isn't a Shark or Stingray, which is all a name is for. And the Moray was one of my favorite molds, so I'm quite sad that it's OOP.

And tweaking disc designs to get new models, well, that's par for the course in this industry. There just aren't that many different basic designs, so many, many models are tweaks of those.

I played all weekend and used this as my only understable mid and really liked it. Thrown flat and smooth it shows a moderate amount of turn but never flips all the way over. The glide on this thing is unreal - even more than the foxbat - just keeps cruising. The best part is the total complete lack of fade. It doesn't even try to come back at the end - not even a little bit. The thing that surprised me most is the distance way longer than I'd expect for a mid. It's not fast at all - it's just that it keeps slowly gliding along rather than fading out like most discs do when they run out of steam. I tossed it a few times in a field along with some much faster discs and was continually surprised to find this one closer to the drivers than I thought I'd find it. If your looking for a glidey yet controllable finesse disc for turnovers that stay turned over and go long for a midrange this is your disc. If you're looking for something to rip on as hard as you can there are probably better options. Just my 2 cents...

Got to toss the Wombat over the weekend. Found that it would turn slightly for me on a flat release, flip up straight with a wee bit of hyzer on the release, and hold whatever line I put it on. One of the guys I played with has a Foxbat, and he said it looked like the Wombat had a bit more glide. The only difference we saw between the discs was the bead, so that appears to actually have made a bit of difference.

The Wombat is like the Foxbat but has the "VTech" convex technology, and also a bead. They throw similiarly. I really liked the Foxbat, it was one of the very first discs I got when I was a noob noob. It glides well, and I still use it in the woods in certain places. As others have said, the problem is when one gives it any kind of power, it just turns and burns. The Wombat is a hair more resistant to turn and fade, but drifts right (for RHBH) and also cannot handle too much power. But a soft upshot on either disc will glide 160-200 feet without even trying.

Was a fan of the Westside Tursas for quite a while, but wanting to have a complete G* bag lead me to try out a G* Wombat. First couple of throws, dead straight 200ft. A little more power, still dead straight 250. Thrown a little higher, flat, almost full power, 300ft, with just a bit of turn, landed flat. Thrown on an anny, will hold the turn all the way and never fade back. Perfect. This disc just became my goto disc for a variety of shots 250-300ft *. Amazing glide, control, etc. Like typical G* plastic I can see this breaking in a few weeks and ending up with a tad more turn, so as usual with G* it's good to bag 2 versions, 1 beat in and 1 new. Goodbye Tursas, we had a good run. ;)

* It's crazy to see this mid range disc getting the distance it is. I'm no bomber, my typical fairway drivers go 300-325, max d drivers 350'ish. On a higher anny release I was getting distances out to 320ft! Like others have said, when you think it's done flying...it's still going and going! Could make shorter shots a little harder to predict, but I'll be using my Mako3 or putters for shots 250 or less. For 250-300ft, I can reliably throw this disc at 80-90% power and I know it's going to get there.

Wind: I'm guessing some crazy distances would be obtainable with this disc in a (rhbh) left to right tailwind. I can't believe I'm guessing 350+ with a midrange in that situation! lol.. You could hyzer flip in a headwind, but I'd just use a Roc or something slightly overstable instead.

Such a fun disc!

Visited my home town over the weekend and through a couple of rounds with my brother. Put my Wombat in his hands for a throw on Saturday and on Sunday he reported he had one ordered already. It's such an easy-to-use disc--"smooth" is the first word to mind.

(FYI: my bro is the guy who got me started all those years ago)

How many are still thinking about putting this disc in the bag? Stop and do it. I've had mine for about a month and holy cow, it's just money. As TAFL said, it's just smooth. Fun fun fun disc to throw.

Broke out my new gstar first run 180 WB today, and I really, really, really, really didn't like it. To the point that I stood there perplexed, wondering how it ever made it to production.

First throw was neutral and flat, maybe 85% power. The thing doesn't just turn, it practically darts to the right and dies. Like more than a Wedge or a beat Stingray would turn at full power. So I think, okay, let's try hyzer flips or dogleg right holes. Awful. Unpredictable. Flippy to the point of having no redeeming value, and I'm a guy who leans on my understable mids a lot. Like, a Stingray or a Diamond are obviously flippy, but you can work consistent lines with those discs. And those are by far my most fun discs to throw.

The funny/pathetic thing is, I was able to get it headed on the right line a few times...but it's got no glide! :lmao:

I throw 95% Innova and this is not a slam on them at all, but honestly this disc is a turd imo.

Broke out my new gstar first run 180 WB today, and I really, really, really, really didn't like it. To the point that I stood there perplexed, wondering how it ever made it to production.

First throw was neutral and flat, maybe 85% power. The thing doesn't just turn, it practically darts to the right and dies. Like more than a Wedge or a beat Stingray would turn at full power. So I think, okay, let's try hyzer flips or dogleg right holes. Awful. Unpredictable. Flippy to the point of having no redeeming value, and I'm a guy who leans on my understable mids a lot. Like, a Stingray or a Diamond are obviously flippy, but you can work consistent lines with those discs. And those are by far my most fun discs to throw.

The funny/pathetic thing is, I was able to get it headed on the right line a few times...but it's got no glide! :lmao:

I throw 95% Innova and this is not a slam on them at all, but honestly this disc is a turd imo.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one - mine is also a 180 gStar, and it is perhaps the touchiest disc I've ever thrown. I've tried one disc rounds with it thrice now, and it rolls over on gentle hyzer flips, turns continually with a tailwind, just impossible to do anything with into a mild headwind. It reminds me of an old DX Skeeter I had way back in the day, but less stable.

Must be a dud, because others seem to have some joy with it.

I've really grown to dislike G*. It makes what are good discs just floppy unpredictable circle things. I tried Beast, Roc3, Mako3 and a few others and I just don't like them. At all.

I've got two champ Wombats and they are nothing like the G*. Very good throwers that seem to hang in the air. Good turn with a smooth release. They don't seem to fly very fast but they do carry.

If you don't like the G*, try a champ.

I've really grown to dislike G*. It makes what are good discs just floppy unpredictable circle things. I tried Beast, Roc3, Mako3 and a few others and I just don't like them. At all.

I've got two champ Wombats and they are nothing like the G*. Very good throwers that seem to hang in the air. Good turn with a smooth release. They don't seem to fly very fast but they do carry.

My thinking is that GStar may be more susceptible to OAT (disc wobble) because of the floppiness. OAT will cause turnover and unpredictable shots.

I was considering trying out the Champ Wombat myself, but I love the Fuse so much I ended up just adding another one instead.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one - mine is also a 180 gStar, and it is perhaps the touchiest disc I've ever thrown. I've tried one disc rounds with it thrice now, and it rolls over on gentle hyzer flips, turns continually with a tailwind, just impossible to do anything with into a mild headwind. It reminds me of an old DX Skeeter I had way back in the day, but less stable.

Must be a dud, because others seem to have some joy with it.

No, yours is not a dud, or not the ONLY dud I should say. I took my Wombat to a wooded course where I used to use it all the time. All the Wombat does is drift right or turn over to the right. I have the Prodidgy M4 as my turnover disc now, so I really have no need for the Wombat.

Good point(s). I've never tried a Champ Wombat, maybe I'll put it on my "dream list" for the far flung future.

As to GStar... well, I think I've waxed poetic on that quite a bit, so I'll glide over it (pun intended) for now....

Latest posts