• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introduction and Question About Accurate Overhead Discs

Odaon

First off, Hello.

My name is Orion, I'm originally from Santa Fe, NM, but recently (August of 2008) moved up to Fort Collins, CO for college (CSU). I've just recently become interested in Disc Golf. I had played a few times before with relatives in MN and TX, but it never really stuck, then during Christmas break, the family went to San Diego and we played a round on a 19 hole course that was just awesome. I played terribly of course, but I had a blast. I decided that I wanted to pick up the sport and have been reading and learning ever since (which isn't to long).

I'm kind of experimenting with how I will end up throwing, I have a really poor backhand. I'm working on improving it, but I think I'll become a sidearm dominate player. I've always loved overhand throws (both Thumbers and Hammers or T-Hawks), and seeing what you can do with them makes me want to learn to throw them well. I know about the Epic, but have yet to try one (hopefully I can soon). Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me the Epic is more of a super range disc than an accurate short shot disc, and I'm looking for an accurate "short shot" overhand disc to complement the Epic (if I end up putting it in my bag). Some recommendations for some discs to try out with my throw style would be great. Keep in mind that I'm still new, but I pick up new hobbies really fast so I probably wont be stuck in the "noob phase" for too long.

Random discs that I already have:

Drivers-
170 Elite Z Talon
174 Elite Z Wildcat
170 Champ Valkyrie

Mid Range-
174 Star Shark

Putter-
175 Omega SS

Thanks for the help.

PS. This site is really cool. I'm going to be on here I lot I imagine.

The Talon is an alright tomahawk disc, at least Geoff Bennett thinks so.

Other good overhand discs....
Pred
Firebird
Flick

Perhaps you could also try an Orion :lol:

corey115 said:
The Talon is an alright tomahawk disc, at least Geoff Bennett thinks so.

Other good overhand discs....
Pred
Firebird
Flick

Perhaps you could also try an Orion :lol:

Haha, I saw some of those at the store yesterday, and started laughing. I'm curious to try a Flick, I might pick one up. Oh, what's better for overhand discs, heavier or lighter?

Flicks are great for thumbers.

I find that heavier works better. Someone on here had a good anilogy of throwing a ping pong ball and a baseball.

dgdave said:
Flicks are great for thumbers.

I find that heavier works better. Someone on here had a good anilogy of throwing a ping pong ball and a baseball.

Do Flicks work well for T-Hawks or is there a better option? That is a good analogy.

Also, should I stick with the tough plastics, like Elite Z?

I really don't toss tomahawks, so I couldn't tell ya, but I don't see why not.

I like the high end plastic for overhand shots because they cause a lot of abuse.

if you're gonna throw overhand a lot, get what ever you get in Z/Champ if you can

firebirds, firebirds, and more firebirds. best overhand disc out there hands down. IMO. also the teebird is nice doesnt go as far but is very controlable for overhand shots.

grier605 said:
firebirds, firebirds, and more firebirds. best overhand disc out there hands down. IMO. also the teebird is nice doesnt go as far but is very controlable for overhand shots.

Thanks, hopefully I can try out all of these and see which I like the best.

corey115 said:
if you're gonna throw overhand a lot, get what ever you get in Z/Champ if you can

I think I can do that, thanks.

One thing to think about if you're going to be throwing a lot of overhand and forehand is that these a two high stress throws on your body. So, if you play a lot, make sure you listen to your body b/c it can be easy to hurt yourself with these throws.

curt said:
One thing to think about if you're going to be throwing a lot of overhand and forehand is that these a two high stress throws on your body. So, if you play a lot, make sure you listen to your body b/c it can be easy to hurt yourself with these throws.

I had been thinking about that. Thanks for the advice. I'll take it slow until my muscles get used to it.

I don't ever throw tomahawk/thumber (tears my arm up), but my doubles partner throws thumbers for every shot. He throws firebirds, orcs, and eagles for distance, and uses apaches (which are basically sabres) for "midrange" tommies. He also caries an aero for backhand shots under 100' and for putting. His theory on overhand shots is that lots of discs go really far, its all about finding the discs that are comfortable in your hand, and that break the right amount for the shots you use them for.

Coldpunk said:
I don't ever throw tomahawk/thumber (tears my arm up), but my doubles partner throws thumbers for every shot. He throws firebirds, orcs, and eagles for distance, and uses apaches (which are basically sabres) for "midrange" tommies. He also caries an aero for backhand shots under 100' and for putting. His theory on overhand shots is that lots of discs go really far, its all about finding the discs that are comfortable in your hand, and that break the right amount for the shots you use them for.

Cool, I'll try some of those out. Thanks.

you have 5 molds and 5 discs...

since your starting out try 1 driver mold and 1 putter mold

you can tomahawk with anything, is anything going to be good for the throw? most likely not, but thats not the point. the point is having 1 driver where you can do anything with it, throw it backhand, sidearm, rollers, overhands, grenades, spike hyzers, turnovers, etc..

driver of choice would be a lighter weight high 160's lower 170's TL. do this for a while and you will be amazed at the results throwing other discs that are more "suitable" for these shots.

there is no best or worst disc to throw and the only thing that should be considered a bad or good disc is your skill level. some discs are horrible for these shots but it doesn't matter for you right now. learning all types of shots with one disc is the way to go for a while. you have to learn how to shape shots and right now is the best time to do it since your starting out and learning the tricks of the trade.

"teach em' while their young."

I recommend a light-weight TL and learn to do everything with it.

Thanks Beato. I'll try out a TL for a while until I get comfortable with it. Then I'll move on to others. I appreciate the advice.

masterbeato said:
you can tomahawk with anything, is anything going to be good for the throw? most likely not, but thats not the point. the point is having 1 driver where you can do anything with it, throw it backhand, sidearm, rollers, overhands, grenades, spike hyzers, turnovers, etc..

I know what most of those shots are but I don't know the last three. I'm asuming the spike hyzer is just a really extreme angle on a hyzer, the other two?

I'll go pick up a TL next time I'm out in the lower weight class and give it a try. What plastic should I go with?

haha... Yeah watch out for the overhands. My roommate got a hernia from a thumber... Intestines in his ballsack and everything, had to get them massaged by a doctor.

Lesson: thumber without stretch/prep = dude rubbing your balls, and a couple months without golf

grenades are throwing the disc backhand and upside down with your thumb inside the rim. they flip up pretty fast and crash straight down.

spike hyzer is higher than a regular hyzer line throwing over objects or just an accurate shot with less fairway play then a regular hyzer,
angle:50-60 degrees

knife hyzers are the extreme hyzers, almost 90 degrees hyzer straight up and down only allowing a maximum of 5'-10' of fairway play.

turnovers are flipping the disc so it does not come back while an anhyzer is turning it over and playing a fade (so it does come back).

Cool. Now I know and I'll practice them all. I'm sure they all have their place at some time or another. Thanks a lot for the help Beato, I'll be practicing my backhands according to your instructional video. Thanks to everyone else as well.

For overhand shots, I'm an exclusive Thumber thrower right now I have a max D of 375' with my thumber and I use the CE EXP-1. Not a big fan of the tomahawk, so I can't help you there.

EXP-1's are great, Champion Firebirds are good as well, that Stars are nice but they take a beating and don't have the durability that Champions do, Champion Banshees also work great as thumber discs.

Orion said:
Cool. Now I know and I'll practice them all. I'm sure they all have their place at some time or another. Thanks a lot for the help Beato, I'll be practicing my backhands according to your instructional video. Thanks to everyone else as well.

If you are down by Bird's Nest in Arvada, there is a driving range on the course with distance markers so you can really get a feel of how you are improving etc...