• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it unethical for a disc golf store owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmexdela

* Ace Member *
to sell the coolest/rare discs they receive from in their huge orders, on auction sites such as ebay, or the fb dollar disc auction page?

What's everyone's thoughts on this greed fueled activity?

Problem? Just the store owner making a quick extra stack of cash? Business as usual?

What's your stance on the issue?

It may be "greedy" to some, but if the true market value on a disc is higher than retail, why in the world would someone not sell it for its value, store owner or not..?

If you don't agree with it, don't do business with that store.

By the way. Do you have any super pearly flag stamp rare/desirable discs that i could buy from you for retail price? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Store owner, end thread. As long as he's not breaking any laws, or hurting anyone, it's his supply and stock to do with as he so pleases.

As long as he's not breaking any laws...

There we go!

Lets all lobby our representatives to pass a law that says everyone is entitled to any rare/collectible/etc product at the MSRP price when it was released and refusing to sell for that price would forfeit your business license.

Man, then we would really get them! :doh:

:rolleyes:

I agree with you btw, mark.

Last edited:
There we go!

Lets all lobby our representatives to pass a law that says everyone is entitled to any rare/collectible/etc product at the MSRP price when it was released and refusing to sell for that price would forfeit your business license.

Man, then we would really get them! :doh:

:rolleyes:

I agree with you btw, mark.

nice amplified response. i wouldnt say its that drastic but nice try. also to your previous brilliant comment i own absolutely zero oop or special stamps. so this does not affect me one bit. im just curious

It's a bit of a gray area. But it's kind of like if the firebirds come in, and 20 percent are flat and pearly, so why shouldn't I raise the price to 16.99 (for the pearly flat lot)from 14.99 (or more) And auctions are what people are willing to pay. So, they could actually lose in an auction and get less. It's their risk.

Is it unethical for a customer to buy a cool/rare disc at regular price, just because he finds it in the store's regular bins, then resell it in auctions at a higher price?

Or, are there any problems with a store marking down the price on a crappy disc it bought, only to find that there's no interest from the public?

.....Is it any business of customers, to know what a store paid wholesale for what they sell?

Why is it "greed" for a seller to want to sell their wares for more, but not greed for a buyer to want to buy them for less?

In the immortal words of Gordon Gecko, "greed is good".

Auction sites exist for the sole purpose of selling a product for as much as someone else is willing to pay. Who cares who the person selling that product is? As long as it's not stolen merchandise, all's fair.

This may be a little-known secret, but how retail business works is by buying in bulk at a discounted cost and then reselling those same items at an inflated price of their choosing. So unethical!:wall:

no, it's not unethical.

Everyone has the right to try and get the most they can for their items.

Is there really any difference between the term "wise business decision" and greed? One just sounds more acceptable.

to sell the coolest/rare discs they receive from in their huge orders, on auction sites such as ebay, or the fb dollar disc auction page?

Problem? Just the store owner making a quick extra stack of cash? Business as usual?

What are you, a ****ing Commie?! :\

It's called CAPITALISM, fool. :|

In most cases it's not unethical. The only time it would be is if the manufacturer has a deal with the retail store to sell at a certain price. Usually that deal is to keep the prices higher though and retain the value of the product, and not a price cap. Sometimes a price cap happens though in those deals because the manufacturer believes the product will sell more volume that way. To my knowledge, no disc golf company uses these agreements.

People who get upset at this sort thing generally because someone has a coolest/rare disc to sell for buku money on online auctions, and well...its not them. So they make up these self-absorbed precepts about fairness over the proper sale (of a discretionary product I might add), then post about it online to see how many other soreheads there are out there.

I simply don't see where greed enters into this discussion. Hypocrisy on the part of those who complain about the practice (when they know damned well they'd do the same thing if in the store owners position, or simply had those discs themselves) perhaps.

Not unethical, just a perk of ordering in bulk. People wouldn't be charging a couple of extra bucks here and there for nice stamp or color combos if there wasn't demand.

Store owners are in business for the same reason you have a job. To make money.
If what the op said is wrong for the store owner to do then you should give your boss money back on days you slack off at work.

No.
Yes
Yes

^that's just the disc golf disease in general. so dumb.

specially when some of the biggest ones in the market do it. They all could make more $ if they would stop trying to cut each others throats on pricing.

I know exactly who you are talking about, so as a former employee of this store I will leave it at that.

I can say this, disc golf as a business is always walking a fine line of making a living and losing everything in the business. If the store owner and family are putting in 40-50 hour weeks in the store, that says something.

So legally, ethically, I cannot blame him for what he is doing. As an online consumer, I am glad some owners are offering some of their better items online. It seems like the only way to get the exact color and weight I am trying to collect for my bag. There is no guarantee that any one particular store has what I am looking for, but I have a greater chance of finding it online.

However, I do see where you are coming from. As an in-store consumer, naturally I am disappointed that my chances of getting my weight and color (which recently has become a very popular choice) have diminished, causing me to spend more and more of my money online, forcing me to wait for 3-5 business days, paying more for that shipping, when I could have had instant gratification the moment I handed over my Visa card.

Yet to bring it back around to my main point, there are three aspects of this business that makes money; online sales, wholesale to other vendors, and store-front retail. There is a certain other store in town that relies almost solely on store-front, and look at the reputation he has. There is also a retail chain of stores in several local malls that have limited selection and aging stock because they too rely on store-front (thankfully for them DG is not their main focus). For better or worse, there is money to be had online.

What I do not like, if it is true which it may not be, is that they have removed the option for in-store pickup of an online order where you do not have to pay the shipping and handling fee. You can still pick it up in-store, which is a hassle because you are asking employees to dig through auction items that likely would not have been sorted until later in the day and most likely by a different employee, but I have heard, but have not bothered to confirm, that if you do pick it up in store that you still have to pay the shipping and fee.

Lastly, I also do not like that this particular store has a tendency to be 2-4 weeks behind most other online entities when it comes to the hottest releases. Like I said earlier, knowing some of what happens behind the scenes does give me an understanding why, but as a consumer of this store it does bother me that more and more of my dollars have migrated to online stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts