• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Is the Groove an Upgrade from a Beast for an Am?

JBurke297

Hey guys,

Been burning through countless threads but not finding what I want so guess it comes down to making the thread yourself ...

I recently lost my Champion Beast and am looking to replace it. LOVED that disc ... :\

However, I am always looking to try something new and figured I would utilize my misfortune to do so. I know a guy I bump into on the local course that swears by his Groove but have myself never thrown one. What I loved about my Beast was it's predictable narrow S curve that always seemed to drop off relatively straight ahead. Also, I could throw that disc as far as my Nuke SS any day of the week.

Regardless, now I find myself wondering if the Groove, Echostar Katana, or Archon should be considered as potential distance upgrades ... I max out my RHBH around 300 (give or take 25) so by all means no power thrower over here. For example, I can NOT through my Champion Boss hard enough (or w/ enough snap) to get that bitch to NOT Hyzer through its entire flight path (it's frustrating but she's my forehand go to for Rdoglegs since my forehand can produce the snap).

Further, I used to have a 172g R-Pro Wahoo that I also absolutely loved for its understable tendencies and beautiful glide and these memories drive my mind towards thoughts of an Echostar Katana or Champion Archon ...

More than anything, I am looking for a driver that will give MY RHBH more distance w/o sacraficing a TON of accuraracy. Since I don't have the arm for overstable discs, I figured understable or the Groove may be the answer.

Or perhaps I simply go back to what worked before and buy another Champion Beast. Afterall: if it ain't broke, don't fix it ... Right? Haha, thanks for any input as I realize there is a lot of rambling throughout ...

For me an upgrade was the Wraith. Buy a star Wraith and a new Beast, and try to keep away from the light speed discs until you can throw them with the needed power.

From what you have said, I think that an archon sounds like a better option. They are the easiest to throw. For me a groove and katana are angle sensitive discs.

No groove. They are oop and will soon skyrocket in price.

serious? well crap. grooves were my junk discs because people would sell them for just a few bucks.

crap. i'll take a groove all day over water instead of a dragon.

groove is a crap disc but flies FAR better than a dragon.

this thread makes me sad

I can crank the heck out of a groove.

In my opinion it doesn't fly like a beast even though it says its fade and turn are similar.It's slightly more stable and it's one of my go to big distance slow fade drivers.I think the reason people don't like it is because of how the disc is made.It has a wide rim with a groove( I think this is where it gets the name) cut into the rim.

I would probably just go with another Beast.You can't go wrong with a beast.One of my favorite discs that I throw.

you can't go wrong with a beast, you can go horribly wrong with a groove. There are some people who love them, either they got one of the few that actually do what they are supposed to or, like my friend that throws one, crank it so far over to make it do what he wants. The groove should have went OOP long ago.

If you're throwing your Beast as far as your Nuke SS, it's because you don't have the arm speed for the Nuke. If you like the Beast that much, buy another one. I would suggest, if you HAVE to take a jump forward in speed, that you also pick up a Pro Wraith to go with it. It has tons of glide and will fly different than the Beast when new.

If you're open to discovering that disc speed doesn't mean more distance, I would suggest you try a TeeBird.

If you're open to discovering that disc speed doesn't mean more distance, I would suggest you try a TeeBird.

I agree with this statement. A DX Teebird is a thing of beauty at low power.

Also, if you are maxing out at 300, pick up a Roadrunner and hyzer flip it.

Definitely avoid the Groove, which is probably the most inconsistent mold ever produced. Every once in a while, or so I hear, you can find one that is understable, but most come out even more overstable than your Boss. I wouldn't get the Wraith, either, if your max distance is 300'. Your best solution would likely be to replace the Beast with another Beast. If you want to experiment with other drivers, try out a Teebird, a TL, or a Valkyrie. If you're buying Innova, I would advise avoiding discs faster than "Speed 9", but of the faster ones mentioned in this thread, the Archon is probably the one most likely to work for you.

crap. i'll take a groove all day over water instead of a dragon.

groove is a crap disc but flies FAR better than a dragon.

Are they meant to be similar discs? I love my Dragon disc because of the weird plastic blend but the only Groove I've thrown flew differently and sucked about as bad as a Wahoo.

No groove. They are oop and will soon skyrocket in price.

:hfive:

OP, ^^^that is a joke (the price part, at least). But seriously, do not get a Groove. Also, at your power level you don't need anything faster than a Beast...