• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this what's holding us back?

Will playing the National Anthem before tournies grow the sport?

• Total voters
Lets not have a God debate. This isn't the place for it. An Internet forum is almost never the place for it.

Lets not have a God debate. This isn't the place for it. An Internet forum is almost never the place for it.

I agree. We usually discuss it at the pub over a few pints. Shows the difference between folks who can handle their pints and those that cant. I grew up with the current pledge. Never saw it as anything more that rote recited words. never had an issue but some folks want to fight against anything. A spirited, well reasoned discussion can be fun, but it needs to be face to face. Keeps folks honest. To roughly quote the Simpsons, Gentlemen there will be plenty of time to argue, once we're drunk!

Definitely a no....There is a lot of other things that will help grow this sport besides the National Anthem.

my father is a scratch golfer, and i presented this idea to him. he said it was irrelevant, and speculated that disc golf needs to be on television to be popular. he said that nobody cared about golf until they started televising tournaments. even if the stereotype is that watching golf is boring, it still gets watched, and the sponsors throw money at it.

anyways the poll is still open and im sure a lot of yes votes will come in this monday when all the squares are sitting in their cubicles.

my father is a scratch golfer, and i presented this idea to him. he said it was irrelevant, and speculated that disc golf needs to be on television to be popular. he said that nobody cared about golf until they started televising tournaments. even if the stereotype is that watching golf is boring, it still gets watched, and the sponsors throw money at it.

anyways the poll is still open and im sure a lot of yes votes will come in this monday when all the squares are sitting in their cubicles.

I used to play competitive golf, I completely agree with your father. I also won't watch golf on tv, because I find it boring.

I used to play competitive golf, I completely agree with your father. I also won't watch golf on tv, because I find it boring.

sucks for you. the last round of the pga was crazy drama. tiger who?

I know at Worlds they do the thing where all the countries have a rep that carries their flag...maybe right before the Hall of Fame ceremony? I don't know if they play anthems though. Japan anthem, Kimigayo, is also one of the world's shortest national anthems currently in use.
FTFY :D

I don't think it would grow the sport one bit. The way I see it the anthem works best at events where everyone is in one place at one time. Doesn't work well for disc golf or ball golf.
IF there was a large gathering in the beginning of an event I think it would be nice, but I don't think it would do anything to grow the sport.

I would play the anthem at each event if i had a practicle way of playing it. I guess i can jack up the volume in my truck and leave the doors open, but that's pretty cheesy.

I would play the anthem at each event if i had a practicle way of playing it. I guess i can jack up the volume in my truck and leave the doors open, but that's pretty cheesy.
My guess is also that the logistics of playing it means it isn't worth while. Hearing the National Anthem from a portable Bluetooth speaker doesn't have the same bravado as playing it on the PA at a stadium especially since many of the spectators probably won't be able to even hear it. It might be a nice gesture if the course had a PA or something, but any practical way to play it before the tournament would be super cheesy and probably have a negative impact than a positive one. It's the kind of thing you have to do right for it to have the correct meaning.

What is the atomic weight of a "practicle", and could this be what's really holding disc golf back? :popcorn:

If only there was something like a player's meeting or something where everyone gathers before heading to their assigned tee...

Is that where maybe 2/3 of the field hang out and talk to each other while some guy stands in the front talking to himself?

At an A-tier I played in Oklahoma a few years back, they actually did the Star Spangled Banner on an electric guitar. Probably the only players meeting I've been to in an empty swimming pool.

This made me laugh for a minute straight! I'm still laughing...

True Americans!

Last edited:

Latest posts