• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jdw80550 Bag thread

So after a night of tossing and turning I figured it was time. I've been switching so many discs lately I think I've screwed myself up. So here is the disc downed bag.

Distance
Star Eagle X, 172g- Long flex shots, max D
Champ Eagle X, 175g- Beefy, long hyzers, head winds

Fairways
11x KCP Gazelle, 174g- Super OS, straight hard fade, Utility
Champ Glo Gazelle, 172g- Line shaper, straight with gentle fade, slow hyzers
GL River, 179g- Straight, slow turnover, bailout annys
Opto River, 173g- Hyzer flips and big annys

Mids
GL Fuse, 176g- Understable duties, annys, hyzer flips
Z Buzzz, 173g- Straight slight fade, less height needed than the Roc
Champ XG Roc+, 176g- straight predictable fade, slow bailing annys, sweeping hyzers, needs height to work
Z Wasp, 176g- Beefy, hard hyzers, fast flex shots, skips
ESP Zone, 173g- Utility, spikes, OH, real short hyzers

Putters
Z Magnet, 169g- Approaches and Drives
Pro-D Magnet, 172g- Main Putter

I'm going to stick with this line up for at least a month, then start adding the Orc, PD, OLF, and Sword back in. Hopefully, have the bag up and working again by April. We'll see if my will power will hold out.

So I've put an Axis in the bag, b/c holy $#!% this thing is the best point and shoot disc I've ever thrown. The problem is I now find that all my mids are overlapping to some degree. Fuse overlaps with the Axis slightly, the Axis with the Buzzz, the Buzzz with the XG Roc, and the Roc with the Wasp. I'm trying to decide what should stay and what should go. Does anyone see a reason to keep all 5 in the bag, and if not what would you're suggestion be? I get nervous that I will start overthinking the disc choice instead of just throwing.

I'm finding myself grabbing for the Fuse for shots I would have normally thrown the Axis on in the past. Overlap is a bitch if you love both of the discs... I still carry the Axis, but the Fuse is far more versatile in my opinion.

^^^This is what I'm feel also with the Buzzz/Roc. I've carried a Buzzz for years, but I've been reaching for the Roc more and more. I wish really did need all of them.

So after playing today I'm loving the disc down. I was crushing the eagles and the Gazelles were money.

I was throwing the mids well except for the Roc. I think the Roc is gone, it was fun but just didn't cut the mustard.

I think I'm going to add an anode for long approaches rims a little easy to release than the magnet.

Also switch the esp zone for a z, really loving it.

Been having a little trouble with the rivers, not releasing them well, my annys aren't feeling good, but I think that has more to do not playing a course that has a lot of anny throws.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

2x Eagle-X
2x Gazelle
2x River

Wasp
Axis
Fuse

Zone
Anode
D Magnet

That's a pretty nice disc'ed down set up. I'd pull the Z Magnet in favor of an Anode.

Rivers seem like they should have a little more distance potential than Eagles. If you're not getting good D or control out of the Rivers you could remove them and track down a 6/10 KC Pro Gazelle or add a DX to the bag for turnovers.

The Vector is worth a go if you're digging other MVP discs.

A Banshee might not be a bad idea either for overstable utility.

Yeah I hear you on the Rivers. They by far are the longest disc in bag right now when released clean, I just have been getting good releases. Either too late and I turn them too much, or too early and hyzer out. Just need practice.

I'm actually hoping the Anode will replace the Z Magnet that I have been carrying. I'm kinda buying my time till a soft comes out to go with the medium.

I tried the Vectors when they came out and they just didn't seem to click with me, they were either really stable or very straight. Plus I have like 4 backup wasps.

As fare as overstable utility I throw a Opto or GL Trident in the bag when the course or wind calls for it, but between the Champ Eagle X (decent head wind/long hyzers) and the 11x KC Pro Gazelle (this is a crazy OS taffy Gazelle, almost as beefy as my GL Trident) I have most of the shots covered.

I do have a question though, I have no FH. Like to the point where I only throw it if I need to punch out of trouble. However there has been a couple of time during league play that I was about a 90-100' from the basket and completely blocked by trees. I was too close to go tomahawk or thumber, but I had a either a crazy FH spike or a crazy BH anny spike. Tried the both with little success. If I'm going to try and throw a FH spike at that distance what disc should I use, I used the Zone yesterday?

Seems like you're in a pretty good spot with your disc selection. There's no compelling reason to go with a Vector over a good Wasp so, if you like the Wasps you have, I'd stick with 'em!

As far as a 100' forehand, you can throw anything in your bag. That's a technique issue, not a disc selection one. I do think the Zone is a nice FH approach disc because they're nice and flat and beefy. Easy to grip and very forgiving of OAT on short shots. Otherwise the Wasp, Trident, and Anode are also good options.

Trident would be my suggestion for a short hard FH.. they do like to make a sharp turn.

So it's been a while and I thought I would up date the bag a little. Not too much has changed to the main selection, mostly putter changes.

Distance
Star Eagle X, 172g- Long flex shots, max D
Champ Eagle X, 175g- Beefy, long hyzers, head winds

Fairways
11x KCP Gazelle, 174g- Super OS, straight hard fade, Utility

Mids
GL Fuse, 176g- Understable duties, annys, hyzer flips that turn over
Z Buzzz SS, 174g- Straight, hyzer-flips that don't turnover, annys that need to lay flat
Z Buzzz, 173g- Straight slight fade, small S curves
Z Zone, 175g- Utility, spikes, OH, real short hyzers

Putters
KC Pro Aviar, 175g- Driving Putter
JK Aviar-X, 175g- Regular Putting
Omega SS, 175g- Regular Putting

I loving the KC Aviar for drives!!! I almost had 3 aces the other day with so it's going to stay in the bag.

The JK and Omega are fighting it out right now for a main putting slot. I switched my putting to more of a spin/hyzer putt so trying to feel out which one I like best.

I put the Buzzz SS back in the bag simply because on some of the shots in the area I needed something a little more stable than the Fuse and Z Buzzz isn't broken in enough. Its been better for some simply straight with no fade shots. The Fuse is still the primary anny disc but when I push it out to max D it gets too much turn.

As always thoughts and critiques are welcome. I am thinking about put back in some of the high speed stuff so that will change the amount that I carry.

Thanks again.

keep working that fuse. should be a lazer beam when you learn it.

bag looks pretty solid. you might want a higher speed utility disc to compliment your zone, maybe a firebird or xxx; up to you though.

I think the fuse would be fine, but it's been in the bag for almost 6 months now and I've only used it primarily for annys, so it's taken quite a few hard shots. If I throw it on a hyzer at about 60-70% power it stays nice and straight, but when I throw it on max power it flips then tracks right. Great disc and won't play a round without it, but I was feeling like I needed something that would stay straight at higher speeds.

I do have tridents that I will throw in the bag depending on the course or if I'm playing in a tourney, but most of the time the KC Pro Gazelle or Champ Eagle-X do the trick.

Will say this, I took the Buzzz SS and Fuse out today at recess (I teach 1st Grade), and was crushing the 325-340' and the kids thought I was a god! 7 year olds sure know how to boost your ego. ;)

So after 72 holes this weekend I've found out a few things.

First, if a JK Aviar-X hits the top of the basket it will bounce off and roll, like 8 out 10 times. Pissed me off cost me a bunch of stroke, so the Aviar-X is gone.

Second, if I have a nice tail wind I can rip my river 455'. Freaking crushed a drive and took a two on a hole that I often feel lucky about taking a 3 on. Great feeling.

Third, I don't use the Gazelles as much as I thought I would. I find that I've just carry extra weight b/c I throw the Eagles instead of the Gazelles except on a couple of occasions. I think they might have to go. :(

And finally, I freaking suck at upshots 150-50' away. I just can't seem to get a good release with the putters and either end up way right of way left. If I switch to a mid, I don't trust the discs at those distances and end up short arming the disc and still being left with a 35' putt for par, not good.

Comments always welcomed.

Max Distance
TP Sword, 172g- S curves, long hyzers
VIP Sword, 169g- Tailwinds, annys, hyzer-flips

Controlled Distance
S-PD, 175g- Hard Hyzers, skips, headwinds
Champ Glow Orc, 172g- distance hyzers, straight with fade
S-PD, 170g- Hyzers, bailout annys, shot that can work left to right. Hoping to beat this one in a little more

Fairways
GL Trident, 173g- Spikes, skips, utility
Star Eagle X, 172g- Long flex shots, Controlled Hyzers

Mids
Z Buzzz, 173g- Straight slight fade, small S curves

Putters
KC Pro Aviar, 175g- Driving Putter
KC Pro Aviar, 171g-Main Putter
Omega SS, 175g- Long Putts or Putts that need to stick

So I made the KC Pro Aviars the main putter, not getting the bounces like I was with the JKs.

Also added the high speed stuff back into the bag to add some distance, forgot how fun it is to really just bomb a throw. Eventually I would like to drop the Orc and just have 3 different PDs to cover all these shots, but the Orc holds fast hyzers better than the PD so we shall see.

Let me know what you think, I have a tourney coming up next week so I hope the bag will be pretty well set.

Took 2nd today in a tourney today. Very excited because I had been playing like crap for about the last 2 months. Putting was going pretty well, didn't sink any super long ones, but consitantly hit almost everything 20' and under. This was a huge step because it kept me away from the 4's and 5's.

Threw every disc today at least once. Only discs that didn't perform like I wanted them to were the Eagle. the Opto River, and the TP Sword.

Eagle, I believe to be very much user error. That being said, I was crushing my Gazelle today. It made me remember why the Gazelle stayed in for so long. If there are Eagle lovers out there give me a reason to keep it in the bag, otherwise I think it's gone.

The Opto River was just too damn finicky. Release a little early hyzer, a little late anny to the ground, not enough anny straight. I love the GL River, but I think it may be time to move on and drop the Opto. So I'm thinking about trying the Sidewinder.

The TP Sword was really understable. To point where it hurt to watch. I was cranking the VIP Sword out, TP not so much. Not really bummed because I can cover most of the open holes with other.

Max Distance
VIP Sword, 169g- Tailwinds, annys, hyzer-flips, long S curves

Controlled Distance
S-PD, 172g- distance hyzers, straight with fade
S-PD, 170g- Hyzers, bailout annys, shot that can work left to right. Hoping to beat this one in a little more

Fairways
Champ Glo Gazelle, 175g- Long flex shots, Controlled Hyzers
Opto River, 173g- Hyzer flips and big annys, tailwinds

Mids
ESP Buzzz, 178g- Covers straight with no fade, or tight annys the Fuse won't cover
Glo FLX Buzzz, 175g- Straight slight fade, small S curves, pure hyzers
Z Wasp, 176g- Beefy, hard hyzers, straight with hard fade, fast flex shots, skips

Putters
KC Pro Aviar, 175g- approach disc, hyzer approaches, bailout approaches
Omega AP, 175g-Main Putter, driving putter
Omega SS, 175g- Long Putts or Putts that need to stick

Made a few tweeks to the bag for simplicity sake and better shot selection options.

I played in an Open tourney yesterday, because I needed two more sanctioned rounds to propagate scores for our league, and got my ass handed to me. It was great. Watching all of the Pro's play, definately showed me areas that I can improve one. Bonus though is I did beat some pro's, so that made me feel better.

Max Distance
VIP Sword, 169g- Tailwinds, annys, hyzer-flips, long S curves
Tourney Sword, 172g- Hyzer-flips

Controlled Distance
S-PD, 172g- distance hyzers, straight with fade
SB Orc, 172g- Hyzers and straight shots

Fairways
Champ Glo Gazelle, 175g- Long flex shots, Controlled Hyzers
S-FD, 175g- Straight Shots
Opto River, 173g- Hyzer flips and big annys, tailwinds

Mids
ESP Buzzz, 178g- Covers straight with no fade, or tight annys the Fuse won't cover
Glo FLX Buzzz, 175g- Straight slight fade, small S curves, pure hyzers
Z Wasp, 176g- Beefy, hard hyzers, straight with hard fade, fast flex shots, skips

Putters
KC Pro Aviar, 175g- Approach disc, hyzer approaches, bailout approaches
Omega AP, 175g- Driving putter
Omega SS, 175g- Main Putter

I've really been enjoying the Swords lately. Throwing them on a bunch of different lines and it's amazing to see how they can fly.

Two of the three PD's are great, but the 172g is just squirrelly. I went ahead and switched back to the Orc b/c it holds the hyzer lines better with less effort and it's a little faster.

I have also been throwing the Omega SS as my main putter and have be doing very well with it. The Omega AP is great for driving, but I just don't have a ton of holes that are putter length. I'm thinking about dropping the Omega AP and just sticking with the KC Pro Aviar.

Thoughts, idea, improvements, and any other comments welcome.

Latest posts