• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jomez tour

If Jomez is covering an event I keep myself in the dark and watch it all in order. On my TV. I love it.

Jomez is a valuable brand in disc golf. It means high quality and a fast turnaround time.

What's this about Jomez not covering DGPT events? I admire the risk taking and pure effort of Steve Dodge, but he has a history of overplaying his hand and overvaluing his products. This is not his first foolish decision.

Since Jomez will be filming A tiers I hope they film Solitude. That course has 1000 ft downhill bombs and some top players like eagle and ulibarri have played it in the past.

I have not conceived of all the details yet, but Jomez should film a season- long match-play tournament. Film and release a few matches every week. Not sure of logistics, but should be able to catch players before/after events. If conflict with DGPT courses, use a course in vicinity. Do ITBs, mic up players, etc. Manufacturers would love this as guarantees player being filmed at least once.

I'm sure there are cost issues and prize money issues, but point is that I don't think they need a new tour. They need content, so trying to think through how to get that.

I'll watch anything built around a bracket.

Might it be his last, though? If he tanks this, too, how much more leverage will folks give him?

It will be a slow bleed... instead of boasting a 500k prize pool for 2019, he should have offered the same 2018 prize pool and invested in existing DQ media.

Jomez could definitely do Clash style videos. They could have doubles teams battling it out. It would be awesome to see the crush boys vs big sexy for example. Billy Crump used to do this back in the day.

Can Jomez run their own tour? I think the algorithm will continue pushing Jomez videos over videos on the Disc Golf Pro Tour channel. Would the pros play a Jomez tournament over a DGPT tournament? I think they would because that exposure would help them sell their discs.

This is just a Jomez fanboy thread. Sure they have 95k subs, but I'm sure a small percentage are Jomez only fans. People want to consume Pro Tour events and will continue to watch them. And maybe some pros may play a Jomez event or 2, but most players will follow the money. Some players wouldn't even be touring full time(ie AJ Risley)if it wasn't for the DGPT. And there are players that are very thankful for what Steve has done for disc golf.
Jomez can run a tour but it would be foolish to think they can compete with the pro tour. Stop thinking with your heart and use some logic. Jomez will be fine.

DGPT didn't pay for Jomez or CCDG to cover their events. Both crews got outside sponsors.

If this is how it worked, how can the DGPT dictate who films? Do they have a contract with the local TDs and in each case it had to change? Did they have to get buy-in from all the TDs before making this change? If they're not paying, why are they in charge of this?

If this is how it worked, how can the DGPT dictate who films? Do they have a contract with the local TDs and in each case it had to change? Did they have to get buy-in from all the TDs before making this change? If they're not paying, why are they in charge of this?

You have to apply for your event to be on the DGPT. I would imagine the TD gives up a lot of control over some aspects for this privilege.

Because they own the tour. Just like the NFL doesn't pay NBC (in fact it's the opposite), but they still control what games they get.

You have to apply for your event to be on the DGPT. I would imagine the TD gives up a lot of control over some aspects for this privilege.

They do. They have some say, but ultimately it's Dodge's call.

I've obviously never seen the contract for a DGPT event, but if I was a TD and signed up already for next year I would have been expecting Jomez/CCDG coverage. If I got stuck with some half-baked in-house DGPT coverage while Jomez/CCDG was at some other A Tier that weekend taking views away from my event, that would be a problem.

The fallout wouldn't be until the DGPT tried to sign up events for 2020, though. Pulling this now after the schedule was set puts a lot of pressure on DGPT to figure this out fast and do it right. They have their neck stuck out quite a bit on this deal.

I've obviously never seen the contract for a DGPT event, but if I was a TD and signed up already for next year I would have been expecting Jomez/CCDG coverage. If I got stuck with some half-baked in-house DGPT coverage while Jomez/CCDG was at some other A Tier that weekend taking views away from my event, that would be a problem.

The fallout wouldn't be until the DGPT tried to sign up events for 2020, though. Pulling this now after the schedule was set puts a lot of pressure on DGPT to figure this out fast and do it right. They have their neck stuck out quite a bit on this deal.

As others have said and you reiterate, where was the fire and why no plan? (Or at least appearance of having a plan)

But why? Most, if not all, of these events were successful A Tier events before DGPT, heck...probably before video coverage at all. I don't think the success or financial solvency of these events is really tied to coverage. Big sponsors might end up having a problem if viewership is down significantly. But, I don't believe this will happen.

As others have said and you reiterate, where was the fire and why no plan? (Or at least appearance of having a plan)

I feel not disrespect from Dodge that he has not included me in his plans. I don't think he owes the few dozen disc golf fans from DGCR the right to all his vision.

Actually, I think that just Memorial, Ledgestone, Maple, & GMC were successful events before the DGPT. You could argue about GLO, it has come and gone in the past.

My thoughts... if you think that Jomez is going to skip out on the DGPT, I don't know if that will be the case. They might skip out on a few, but some events will just make more sense for them to go and film a 3rd card rather than drive way off tour to cover another A-tier where the player caliber will be less than the 3rd card of the DGPT.

Jomez may have something that resembles a "tour", but it would be just for them. I don't think they are going to get additional sponsors and money to attract touring pros to events. Pros MAY skip out on DGPT events if the DGPT coverage is significantly lower quality than Jomez, but I know Dodge and I think that he will make sure that it is at least at 80% quality of Jomez.

Pros MAY skip out on DGPT events if the DGPT coverage is significantly lower quality than Jomez, but I know Dodge and I think that he will make sure that it is at least at 80% quality of Jomez.

No offense to your post, quoting for content.

Woohoo 80%. Nothing like average quality to get the excitement going.

Latest posts