• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jomez tour

Actually, I think that just Memorial, Ledgestone, Maple, & GMC were successful events before the DGPT. You could argue about GLO, it has come and gone in the past.

My thoughts... if you think that Jomez is going to skip out on the DGPT, I don't know if that will be the case. They might skip out on a few, but some events will just make more sense for them to go and film a 3rd card rather than drive way off tour to cover another A-tier where the player caliber will be less than the 3rd card of the DGPT.

Jomez may have something that resembles a "tour", but it would be just for them. I don't think they are going to get additional sponsors and money to attract touring pros to events. Pros MAY skip out on DGPT events if the DGPT coverage is significantly lower quality than Jomez, but I know Dodge and I think that he will make sure that it is at least at 80% quality of Jomez.

Speculation incoming because I like to look at tours and routes. A non-DGPT schedule for Jomez could look like:

• Vegas 2/21
  • Home for a month
  • Texas States 3/29
  • Nick Hyde 4/5
  • Go vend at Bowling Green Ams 4/18
  • GBO 4/24
  • 303/Goat Hill/Utah Open 5/3 (if they want to/can do Pro Tour Test/Affiliate events)
  • Masters Cup 5/17
  • Coupla Jomez Pro Final 9s
  • BSF 6/7
  • Zoo Town/Twin Falls (ID) Classic 6/15
  • StL Open/CCR Open/Titan Open 6/29
  • Silver Cup/BHMO 7/13
  • Home
  • Pro Worlds 8/13
  • Couple more Final 9s/Home
  • USWDGC 9/19
  • Stafford Open/Carolina Clash/plenty of others 9/28
  • USDGC 10/2
  • HOFC 10/11
  • Done

That only cuts their 2018 coverage by five events (not counting VPO). Not too shabby if you can get some of these A-Tiers some exposure, and it means a little more time at home to plan/coordinate other content.

But why? Most, if not all, of these events were successful A Tier events before DGPT, heck...probably before video coverage at all. I don't think the success or financial solvency of these events is really tied to coverage. Big sponsors might end up having a problem if viewership is down significantly. But, I don't believe this will happen.
Sponsors not getting the views they are expecting is exactly the problem in this scenario. If DGPT can deliver the views, everything will be fine on their end. If they don't deliver the views and there are other disc golf events that are getting the views, that's going to be a big problem for DGPT.

But hey...I'm not saying that is going to happen, just mentioning this is a risk they are taking.

Jomez pro has done alot for exposure for disc golf and I would play a jomez tournament over a dgpt tournament

Speculation incoming because I like to look at tours and routes. A non-DGPT schedule for Jomez could look like:

• Vegas 2/21
  • Home for a month
  • Texas States 3/29
  • Nick Hyde 4/5
  • GBO 4/24
  • 303/Goat Hill/Utah Open 5/3 (if they want to/can do Pro Tour Test/Affiliate events)
  • Masters Cup 5/17
  • BSF 6/7
  • Silver Cup/BHMO 7/13
  • Home
  • Pro Worlds 8/13
  • USWDGC 9/19
  • USDGC 10/2
  • HOFC 10/11
  • Done

That only cuts their 2018 coverage by five events (not counting VPO). Not too shabby if you can get some of these A-Tiers some exposure, and it means a little more time at home to plan/coordinate other content.

If Jomez covered Hambrick I'd be super happy

• Vegas 2/21
  • Home for a month
  • Texas States 3/29
  • Nick Hyde 4/5
  • GBO 4/24
  • Masters Cup 5/17
  • BSF 6/7
  • Silver Cup/BHMO 7/13
  • Home
  • Pro Worlds 8/13
  • USWDGC 9/19
  • USDGC 10/2
  • HOFC 10/11
  • Done

Some of those events are also CCDG events, though most that overlap can handle both (like the NTs), but is something like Zoo Town big enough to handle both?

I would love to see Jomez at the St. Louis Open. There is a new St. Louis Club President stepping in this year. Also is looks like David West is the current TD for the event this year.

I get the impression that Steve D didn't think anything like this furor would happen when he pulled the plug on Jomez, CCDG and SB.
Sorta like the child who walked by a Fire Alarm and pushed it because it was a big, shiny, pretty, lit up, red button. Then the kid looks around and says "What's all that noise?"

Sometimes I wonder if he understands what all the noise is about.

• Vegas 2/21
  • Home for a month
  • Texas States 3/29
  • Nick Hyde 4/5
  • GBO 4/24
  • Masters Cup 5/17
  • BSF 6/7
  • Silver Cup/BHMO 7/13
  • Home
  • Pro Worlds 8/13
  • USWDGC 9/19
  • USDGC 10/2
  • HOFC 10/11
  • Done

Another tournament they could go to is the Nantucket Disc Golf Open, a lot of pros are there.

I get the impression that Steve D didn't think anything like this furor would happen when he pulled the plug on Jomez, CCDG and SB.
Sorta like the child who walked by a Fire Alarm and pushed it because it was a big, shiny, pretty, lit up, red button. Then the kid looks around and says "What's all that noise?"

Sometimes I wonder if he understands what all the noise is about.

I might suggest the the "furor" of the Reddit, Facebook and DGCR collective is in reality, more of a few uptight enthusiasts.

And where exactly do you think the revenue for DGPT comes from? Casuals?

I am relatively sure that casual players do not provide revenue for DGPT. I would have to venture a guess and say sponsorship, player entry fees and merchandise sales are the primary revenue stream.

I am not sure how a decision to bring video coverage inhouse is going to significantly impact any of those.

I suppose sponsors could be impacted if the video coverage quality is less, but the same commercials will certainly be included in the inhouse coverage. Viewership could be impacted, therefore providing for less eyes on the sponsors commercials, but I believe this is speculation.

I suppose players could boycott DGPT events, but if the money is good (I believe it will be), player will fill these events.

DGCR, Reddit and Facebook vocal opponents of Dodge could boycott DGPT merch, but again, I am not convinced many will, nor would it have a big impact on revenues.

I very well may not have the correct revenue streams listed above. If not, someone please weigh in. It would be interesting to hear how the revenue will be significantly impacted by Dodge's decision.

Revenue for the DGPT comes in from a number of ways.
1. Sponsors who pay for ad placements. (on course, live video, & post production commercials)
2. Merchandise (Shirts, Cards, Discs, etc)
3. YouTube revenue (small, but could start to add up)

I think that the only way that revenue is affected is the example you give. If video quality goes down, and sponsors are getting less eyes they could ask to pay less. I don't see that happening. Because now Dodge can sell sponsors on ads for live AND post production. That is something he couldn't do before because he didn't control much of the post production. So my guess is that even if the post production views fall off by 50% (which they may on his channel vs Jomez in the short term). He is in control of more now than he was before.

The impact for the DGPT is better branding on post production videos(the most viewed type of video) by being easier to identify which events they are actually running. This leads to more mech, YouTube revenue, etc.

I watch a lot of Jomez, Ccdg, etc.and I couldn't tell you which events are DGPT unless I see that elevated basket thing in the middle of video.

Last edited:
Jomez pro has done alot for exposure for disc golf and I would play a jomez tournament over a dgpt tournament

Serious question, how good are the payouts in their final 9 tour events? Do they have added cash, etc, etc?

Revenue for the DGPT comes in from a number of ways.
1. Sponsors who pay for ad placements. (on course, live video, & post production commercials)
2. Merchandise (Shirts, Cards, Discs, etc)
3. YouTube revenue (small, but could start to add up)

I think the Patreon money would be pretty important also. I don't think many casual disc golfers are supporting the DGPT on Patreon.

I guess someone at Discraft read the "Discraft needs to step their game back up" thread. Paul, Disney, Jomez....DGCR should get all the credit for these moves.

Rumor has it Discraft is hiring Jomez to film their tourneys in 2019

I thought this might be happening when DC linked to the Jomez Paul intro from their website right to the Jomez video instead of putting the video on their on own channel(s). Interesting..

Latest posts