• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kiosk Info Must Haves... What NEEDS to be on a course kisok

randomatt

Bogey Member
Just curious, what info do you expect to be on a kiosk?

Whether you are playing a new course out of town or if it's your home course, I'd love to hear both views.

Bonus points for pics of well laid out kiosks. Here's one of the best I've seen at Turtle Rock Park near Tahoe.
024feea034edde8b7a7b980e8e1f9c4c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I play courses whenever I travel, usually with no local guide.

A large map that can be photographed with a phone is nice, and/or actual maps you can take.

For locals, I'd recommend some contact information for the "they" that take care of the course. Some people may want to volunteer to help out, or may want to call report a hornet nest or something.

Too many kiosks I've seen have really old and outdated information. Better to have nothing than something 10 years old.....

- An updated course map is probably the most important kiosk info to me as a traveler. Online maps are sometimes not availible or outdated

- League information. I'm a big fan of league play. Plus, I appreciate hearing the course prospective from locals

- Upcoming events postings. Because nothing is worse than traveling X amount of miles, just to learn that the course is closed to the public for an event. It happened to me recently, it was such a bummer

- Rules and common curtesy practices for newbs. Ignorance is not an excuse if it's posted

- Park hours. I've played a few courses that close their gates at sunset with or without an empty parking lot

- Course maintenance schedule.

At Stony Creek in Fredonia, one of the things they have posted that I liked was a list of things they are doing with the donation money. Nice to know what the courses plans are and where your $$ is going. I bet it gets people to donate more too.

Ideally:
Map
Scorecards
League Info
Club Info
Park Info

All up to date info too. I have the same opinion that no information is better than old out-of-date information especially maps that aren't up to date after a redesign or something along those lines. No map is better than a map that ends up getting you lost.

If I'm playing a course for the first time, aside from the aforementioned items, I like to see results from the most recent tourney played there (assuming a tournament was played there in the first place, of course.) It helps give just a tiny little extra perspective of how I played that day.

If I'm playing a course for the first time, aside from the aforementioned items, I like to see results from the most recent tourney played there (assuming a tournament was played there in the first place, of course.) It helps give just a tiny little extra perspective of how I played that day.

That's how my buddy from Wisconsin figured out that he tied Barry Shultz's second round 61 score when we played The Rock at Stonewall on 5th of July, the day after the tourney. GO JOE!!!

Along with a map, I like an all-in-one-spot listing of where the pins are currently located if the course has multiple pin locations. A single printout posted as a flyer that can be photographed works. The majority of these I have seen tend to be worded with the local player in mind: "pin is in alternative position, 12 yards left of the original position." If I am a person just traveling through town, I don't know original from alternative, but I would like to know where the basket is. This also tends to be a problem when alternative pins are added without maps and tee signs being updated.

Lesson here: Keeping information updated is what makes the information have any value, but consistent/constant updating is tough work. And if you tell me donations go to either 1)course maintenance or 2) updating signs/maps/etc., I'm more likely to leave more.

And, while we are talking Kiosk design here, it's really about the complete package: good maps (updated as needed), current pin position info, good tee signs (updated as needed), and "next tee" signs on/near baskets.

I don't really need anything else though I always read course/club histories, tournament results, lists of local DG stores, food sponsors (with locations), etc. If you can send me to a food place that supports disc golf, that's where I'm going.

My local course has a large property map, a sign-in sheet and waiver for players to sign, scorecards and pencils. The scorecards also have a list of the holes on the back with the distance and par for each tee. There's also an ace log in case you happen to hit one that day and would like to record it.

... If you can send me to a food place that supports disc golf, that's where I'm going.

Our local 7/11 loves the increase in volume on weekends due to disc golf, but it would be a stretch to claim they support it, except maybe by providing inexpensive food and beverages.

Latest posts